Where are your dungeons located?

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.

In your games are dungeons normally below a active city or found out on adventure?

Dungeons under a city.
16%
Dungeons out in the wilds.
84%

Total votes: 19

unclebilly
Orc
Orc

Re: Where are your dungeons located?

Post by unclebilly » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:51 am

Both are useful. The ones in the city are good for lower level characters or beginning players as it offers a safe haven in the city to retreat to to regroup and rest or resupply if needed.

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:54 pm

Literally, anywhere. I almost always put dungeons in a plot setting...that is, I plan well in advance to have a major plot element offer a dungeon as one challenge prong.

I've bought into Jamieson's Gamemastering almost whole hog. Strongly recommend it especially for experienced GM's (I'd been running games for over 40 years when Jamieson found me).

My 'scripts' are much simpler now - just the basic information from last game, any plot or script elements noted on the standard scrupt sheet, and an opening scene (usually from the last game). Then a series of events, each of which offers the players at LEAST two different tracks to follow, with different consequences for the plot.

If they are chasing an overall adventure the challenges key into that plot, but the players are in control. I change the plot/story direction as they make choices.

So dungeons are 'located' more significantly by plot than by geography. I have them everywhere from miles-deep under Stormreach to single level 'hovel' dungeons out in a jungle. Where is far less important thant the plot that allows the PC to go there (if they so chose).

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, Except KS 5
WeaselWarGod

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:13 am

mostly under cities... forgotten over the eons...

I once designed a world (that never got run) that was above ground, but in millenia previous there had been a vast underground dwarven civilization. It was said that at one time you could walk from coast to coast without ever going onto the surface. Of course that was legend (or was it?), but there were definitely underground passages everywhere to tempt greedy and foolhardy adventurers...
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:38 am

I have had both, but I tend to have dungeons outside the city/base.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:30 am

My campaign is currently set in a large city with vast underground caverns and dungeons.
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Where are your dungeons located?

Post by kodiakbear » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:12 am

In your games are dungeons normally below a active city or found out on adventures?

While there are dungeons under my cities and towns most often my players find a dungeon when out traveling and adventurering. Perhaps the are the property of reclusive Dungeon Masters, undergound ruins of a long lost city, hideouts of bandits, underground adventurer keeps or the homes of the underground races.