Looking for good trees

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
jgt4242
Orc
Orc

Re: Looking for good trees

Post by jgt4242 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:02 am

Mushu_Green wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:36 am
I realised these would be difficult to make while we are in winter here in Québec... ^^' I'll have to wait until this spring.. sadness in my heart
If you ever find some nice miniature trees in Quebec please tell me I'm also in Quebec (Quebec City).

jgt4242
Orc
Orc

Post by jgt4242 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:58 am

oddbender wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:49 pm
Trees are something I'm always interested in displaying on the tabletop. Honestly, I've always wanted to put an entire forest out with baddies behind every tree. Maybe not practical, but we all need a dream. I'd love to see some DF trees, modular and all. But as time ticks by I have to do something.

So now I'm going to use some evil words, 3D printed trees. Another thread requesting 3D files from DF, suggests that it has to be either DF or 3D prints. While I on the other hand believe they can be complimentary.

And that thread prompted me to take a picture. So in the best DF tradition, I grabbed some of my stuff and set a scene:

P.S. Stephan, these trees don't shed. And they're painted with good old Pokorny Paints.
I want those trees badly!
I asked Stefan many times for trees in dwarvenite, but as of now nothing. I hoped big time it would be in KS6, but that don't look like that will be the case.

Saxon1974
Orc
Orc

Post by Saxon1974 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:50 pm

oddbender wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:49 pm
Trees are something I'm always interested in displaying on the tabletop. Honestly, I've always wanted to put an entire forest out with baddies behind every tree. Maybe not practical, but we all need a dream. I'd love to see some DF trees, modular and all. But as time ticks by I have to do something.

So now I'm going to use some evil words, 3D printed trees. Another thread requesting 3D files from DF, suggests that it has to be either DF or 3D prints. While I on the other hand believe they can be complimentary.

And that thread prompted me to take a picture. So in the best DF tradition, I grabbed some of my stuff and set a scene:

P.S. Stephan, these trees don't shed. And they're painted with good old Pokorny Paints.
Oh man I want, how do I get if no 3d printer? Thanks for sharing, those look plenty good to me since they don't shed. Which trees they be? Models of your own?

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:28 pm

The trees look great, and awesome paint choice.

But who makes that shoddy tower in the background, even though it is painted with awesome paints also? :D
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

oddbender
Orc
Orc

Post by oddbender » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:49 pm

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:42 am

He needs to put some shoes on though ;)

:lol: :lol:

PhilipStephens007 has a TV show in South America so the how to's are well edited.I like them because he uses hand tools. He also makes what he can not buy.
I have power tools and a good selection of antique hand tools. I had Grandfathers, Grand Uncles and a father in laws with the skills to teach me. It is hard to watch some of the nail driver helpers with a video cameras that present themselves as experts. I usually learn something. I find the cardboard comandos* very interesting. It would never have occurred to me to make a tree from cardboard paper rolls and a hot glue gun.

*Cardboard Comando a person who emulates DM Scotty . I will add badly.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Rabbit Burner
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:40 am

Oldent wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:26 am
Her sister found a video searching for info on making Puppets. I made here her own tree maker. They discovered wire jewelry and are insanely good at it.

PhilipStephens007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5jPBzbpP4U
Don't normally watch too many making videos as often the producers don't seem to know the word 'edit'.
But found we watched that one - great trees :)

Very simple concise informative video showing a process that even a bunny could follow.

He needs to put some shoes on though ;)
I am the Game and I want to Play

HeroQuestFrance
Ogre
Ogre

Post by HeroQuestFrance » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:45 am

I bought some trees from a modelism online shop (30€).
A package of 100 with 3 different sizes.
The hardest part was to make a tigh hole in the middle of the round transparent bases then to glue it to get something correctly steady.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:26 am

Spiropolous the Minotaur wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:38 pm
The problem with a lot of trees is they shed...I don't like that. they are also very fragile...what to do? I have thought on it for ages....hhhhrrrummm....hhhhrruumm....
I have some wire brush trees that were in my toy box in 1960. I refrocked them some time in the 1980s because they had been in the toy box. Frock does not easily come off if you put in on correctly. Most commercial trees are intended for model railroad displays they are fraige because you are never supposed to touch them Some materials are very unsuited to war gaming. Clump foliage trees for example. Wire brush trees and lichen are very forgiving.The reindeer moss in florist shops has been treated and died for decorating flower pots it was never intended not to dry out. I pick and treat my own,

If you want to make nice looking trees without flock use wire brush foliage and plastic/PVC trunks. I will flock them when I get them.

These are some wire brush trees Jennie made the week of her 5th birthday. Her sister found a video searching for info on making Puppets. I made here her own tree maker. They discovered wire jewelry and are insanely good at it.

PhilipStephens007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5jPBzbpP4U
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Rabbit Burner
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Rabbit Burner » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:45 am

Spiropolous the Minotaur wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:38 pm
The problem with a lot of trees is they shed...I don't like that. they are also very fragile...what to do? I have thought on it for ages....hhhhrrrummm....hhhhrruumm....
Make some modular trees out of dwarvenite ?

#Justsayin #KSVII #JustDoIt #YouKnowYouWantToo
I am the Game and I want to Play