tabletopblacksmith KS boat,tree and more till Nov 16

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
Alphyns
Goblin
Goblin

Re: tabletopblacksmith KS boat,tree and more till Nov 16

Post by Alphyns » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:20 am

I'm still on the fence. I like the tree design and don't have enough trees of other sorts that I'd have to ignore to use these. However, they're resin. I just got rid of my resin DF (young boys like to play, and I just don't trust them with resin and hard floors) -- so I don't want to go down that road again. Per the comments section the trees will likely be made from resin, so I'm likely out.

Now, if that same design were made from dwarvenite I'd be in without hesitation.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:14 am

GODofwar wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:01 pm
SOrry, gotta say this.

The walls and floors are a direct compete with DwF. I object to this being peddled here.

The ship and trees, no.

SOrry to be a killjoy.

The Chief Least Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, except KS5
Killjoy or not Dwarven Forge does not object. I hope they are paying attention. This Kick starter will fund by a thread if at all. As much noise that has been made over two sided tiles,boats and trees I would have thought they would do better.I do not know how to tell the difference between noise and demand.

I wish them well but I did not pledge.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:44 am

I'm in for the trees, not enough funds for a boat.

As a KS1-5 supporter with a resin collection on top of it I have no need for the floors and walls. Some of us have mentioned on the KS comments they should focus their KS front page more on the boat and the trees because they are the standout pieces that are unique.
106 Resin and 145 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:01 pm

SOrry, gotta say this.

The walls and floors are a direct compete with DwF. I object to this being peddled here.

The ship and trees, no.

SOrry to be a killjoy.

The Chief Least Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, except KS5
WeaselWarGod

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:03 am

As much as I like their boat design (and another missed opportunity, not including photos of stacked configurations) I do find it hard to justify $50-$65 per section. That is prohibitively expensive for a lot of gamers.

Especially since the pledge structuring doesn’t allow us to add individual boat sections without getting another complete boat set. The modular boat design gives us lots of options for building custom ships (stacked, elongated, prows at either end) but the KS limits us to one configuration. They need to add prow, stern, and amidships sections as add-ons (with the associated mast pieces for each).
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:58 pm

They have opened a new pledge level for those interested in the trees.

16 trees for $90. Shipping for me is still $10, so $100 total. Drops the price per tree by $2.50 from $8.75 to $6.25. I think this is reasonable for a prepainted product no one else is currently offering. I like their versatility.
106 Resin and 145 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:44 pm

Is it me or does $10 seem like a lot to ship 4 trees ;)

i'm guessing it is a blanket shipping price

remember when gas was cheap and you could ship anything across the country for a couple bucks? - the early days of eBay when everyone selling was a person and not a business? - ahhh, those were the days ;)
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:22 pm

Everyone who wants ships, trees and double sided tiles should support this project. I am not interested so I have not supported the project beyond sharing it with others.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:35 pm

lostpict wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:33 pm
TabletopBlacksmith wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:34 am
I would like to see some variation the shape of the foilage so that the are not idenitcal, but look like the same tree species. Personally, I prefer a large tree that incorporates the trunk as the central pillar of a house vice a thouse spread across several trees.
I would too. It may not be practical for a small company to develop all at once.That is why I suggested a design that can be produced in multiplies

lostpict
Ogre
Ogre

Post by lostpict » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:33 pm

Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:34 am
Hi guys. The artist here, the team made me aware of this thread and I wanted to hop in and make sure I understand how you're wanting to use some of this stuff and see how I can improve it for you if possible. What kind of other foliage for the top of the tree were you preferring/thinking? For example another person mentioned a conical evergreen top. That might be difficult with this particular design, but I'm open to exploring it (or possibly designing an entirely new tree). Any pictures, you could link here of what you're envisioning? Pictures help me a ton in understanding/capturing someone's vision.

You are correct about the bases. I've already widened them but have not manufactured another prototype with the new changes. A lot of this, in my mind, is in flux. I plan on making as many improvements as I can in as reasonable a timeframe possible (I don't want backers to wait any longer than necessary to receive their things ;) ), some of these improvements were just from observation/testing, but one of the most pleasant surprises for me with this Kickstarter has been the wealth of great suggestions and people vocalizing exactly what it is that they want! Much like D&D, it's feeling like an organic, collaborative process (this community is so great!).

The Elven home! Ah, that sounds like a cool idea, but I am unsure exactly what you're envisioning. Any cool pictures demonstrating what's in your mind's eye? I'm imagining a kind of tree house. Is this purely artistic? Like a modeled representation outwardly of a home that you just kind of lift off of the tree? Is it just permanently attached and used as set dressing? How large are you imagining it? 2"x2"? 4"x"4? Bigger? Or rectangular? like a 2"x4"? Again, any pictures that you can think of that capture your thinking are worth 1000 words. I'm thinking there may be a separate house piece possibly that is compatible with some (if not all) tree trunks?

All of your suggestions and feedback are SUPER welcome. Thank you! Regarding the multi-colored trees, I should probably talk with the team. Not sure if all of those different tiers would get confusing, but I THINK it should be possible. Have to get back to you on that. Hmm, and pricing may need to adjust for larger trees, but again, there are others on the team that are better about calculating that than I am!
lostpict wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:45 am
Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:46 am
That is a great idea! As we only have 2 tree designs right now we would love to add more to diversify the forest. 🤓

What sizes would you like to see as a bigger base? We currently can fit the 28mm minis in the small platform design and the large platform base can balance large or huge creatures on it.

Are you thinking of an elven home sized base? Because I think that would be fantastic! I can bring all of these suggestions to our terrain engineer. Thank you.

Just me, but in addition to the current two trees, I would like to see a second two base tree that is taller with slightly different foliage (which could be interchange between trunks), a fourth tree with a large platform that could hold 6 25mm bases, and then two taller trees that incorporate some sort of elven home. I suspect the root base needs to be bigger so that the taller trees are stable.
I would like to see some variation the shape of the foilage so that the are not idenitcal, but look like the same tree species. Personally, I prefer a large tree that incorporates the trunk as the central pillar of a house vice a thouse spread across several trees.
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com