RoTA Entrance

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: RoTA Entrance

Post by Harneloot » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:11 am

I, personally, know old time forum members who have HUGE collections of DF - I mean in the range of 20+ of EACH set ever made. Yes, they had deep pockets so perhaps it is one of them unloading stuff as their interests or life situations change...

@Greyhawk DM - I remember that sale and was able to snag two painted 4-way intersections for $25 each. I DO think there were speculators too that grabbed a lot more than that though. Not sure if the current sales are what I described above or speculators from the sale...

HeroQuestFrance
Ogre
Ogre

Post by HeroQuestFrance » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:10 am

It's about the price of a DF unpainted castle you're talking about ha ha ha !
:lol:

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:06 am

Perhaps it is just someone who had deep pockets and good intentions back in the day...

I am sure thete is a lot of this happening with KS folks. They think they will use ot but it just never makes it on to the table. Ill bet ten years from now there will still be entire ks1 and ks2 orders showing up on ebay unopened. And the die hard collectors who csme to the party late will be geeking out over a chance to get spiderwebs!!!
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Greyhawk DM
Kobold
Kobold

Post by Greyhawk DM » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:21 pm

They most likely bought them in July 2015 after the warehouse move. I was able to purchase a couple of the ROA pieces, a Cavern Lake Expansion Set and open water tile packs back then that were said to be found during the move. They were only up in the store for a day or two before they were out of stock and disappeared the next day. I bought 10 packs of the water tiles knowing that about a quarter of them would probably have defect issues, guess who was correct? :) There were more water tile sets available then just the ones I purchased, so a dozen Cavern Lake Expansion sets and 20 or so of the ROA promo pieces may have very well been in stock at that time.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:11 pm

Not only do you mutter the dark lord's name, but you post his picture here? You have brought ruin on us all!

All joking aside, if it were that individual, it would explain a lot. I don't think it is him though.

Just in case people are confused, Stefan and an old business partner (a quick Google search will turn up someone in Carbondale, IL) had a falling out that turned really bad when the old business partner started a kickstarter that seemed to be heavily influenced by DF's products and materials. We don't know all of the details on the back end, but there was a large amount of ill-will from customers on both sides, enough so that both Stefan and that business partner had to issue an honest to goodness statement to the masses telling them to stop. Stefan has asked we not mention him on the forums anymore. This post may be toeing that line; I hope it didn't overstep. Everything I said is factual and is just mentioned for informational purposes, not to stir up any controversy.

But honestly, I think it's just someone that bought a bunch from DF back when the sets were released. Maybe he/she liked the promos and lake sets and bought a truckload somehow.
106 Resin and 145 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

lostpict
Ogre
Ogre

Post by lostpict » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:57 pm

Voldemort?

Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:52 pm

jasdotcom wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:35 pm
AnimeSensei wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:56 pm

I have two guesses:
I have one guess, but it was decided long ago his name should not be mentioned. Plus I don't think he moved to Cut Bank, Montana ;)
Hmm, I didn't think of that.

jasdotcom
Ogre
Ogre

Post by jasdotcom » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:35 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:56 pm

I have two guesses:
I have one guess, but it was decided long ago his name should not be mentioned. Plus I don't think he moved to Cut Bank, Montana ;)

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:56 pm

Yeah if it weren't for his positive feedback on received sets, I'd guess it was fake. Stefan's apartment and DF stash wasn't robbed recently, was it?

I have two guesses:

1) This person ordered a lot of DF sets and got the promo pieces.

2) This person made a deal with DF to purchase additional promo pieces at release at a set price.

jasdotcom
Ogre
Ogre

Post by jasdotcom » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:52 pm

HeroQuestFrance wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:28 am
There is also the colored entrance :
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ONE-Dwarven-Fo ... Sw1Glabh-M

and the secret passage medallion piece :
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ONE-Dwarven-Fo ... Swkh9abiEb

But the prices are completely crazy, as always this speculation is absurd.

I was searching for the rota colored entrance but finally I bought to another fan a entire set ROTA 1 set for 160€ including postage and package. I will paint myself the 2 halls and I will save 200$ in total with a gain of more pieces.
Isn't this the same seller who unloaded something like 9 sets of the Cavernous Lake Expansion? Who the heck is this and how did they amass such an incredible, unopened selection of choice DF?!?