Terrascapes Caves & Grottos Kickstarter - A nice augment to DF caverns?

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
jasdotcom
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Terrascapes Caves & Grottos Kickstarter - A nice augment to DF caverns?

Post by jasdotcom » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:13 pm

I just learned more about quick painting techniques in four minutes than in the last four years. thanks for sharing that video!

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:50 am

kodiakbear wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:05 am
Oldent wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:30 am
I pledged for one of everything unpainted.
I noticed that unpainted is in white resin. Oldent you know more about resin that I do. Why would he not do them in resin colors that are the base color and reduce paint steps?
I do not know but I will speculate. I like two different colors for part A and B so I can tell if it is properly mixed. You can pick white so maybe he likes a white base to paint over. Some of the stain/dip techniques work better over white.Woodland Scenic Pigments are meant to be used over white. See link

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=wo ... &FORM=VIRE

The woodland Scenic Pigments do not have a binder so the need to be set with something like Matt medium. The Scenic cement is also a binder. The spray bottle is useful because many rail road modelers add the first layer of flock at this stage. Scenic cement will also thin paint. I use it when I want the paint to be flat.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

pacarat
Ogre
Ogre

Post by pacarat » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:18 am

kodiakbear wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:05 am
Oldent wrote:
I noticed that unpainted is in white resin. Oldent you know more about resin that I do. Why would he not do them in resin colors that are the base color and reduce paint steps?
He has four paint schemes, one of which is ice. Easier to paint when using a white base?

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:05 am

Oldent wrote:

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:30 pm

I was recently running the D&D 5e boxed set intro adventure - Lost Mine of Phandelver. The second encounter area - the Cragmaw Hideout - is pretty near impossible to build the main river area that leads to the various cavern rooms, especially to area 7 because of the river curve and the constantly ascending path along the river edge. I've posted pics of my attempt to build what I could - the entrance, the various separate cavern rooms.

I think that the Terrascapes Caves & Grottos could fill that gap of more organic terrain that doesn't necessarily conform to a grid - it has the potential to be a great supplement to a DMs core terrain system.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8817

http://prints.mikeschley.com/p856083253
Unless otherwise noted, my views and opinions on this forum are my own and do not, in any way, reflect the views and opinions of Dwarven Forge.

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:09 pm

jasdotcom wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:07 pm
I'm in. These just look too great to pass up. Since it's two-sided, I've asked the creator for a two-paint-scheme option with each side painted a different scheme (caves/earth, earth/lava, etc)
I would hope that he doesn't decide to go with the idea of a different paint scheme on the other side. It's my reasoning that it would kill the modularity of the design in this instance. His videos show, quite clearly, how much more configurations you can get out of flipping the pieces over and if their painted a different colour scheme then you lose that as a feature. In my mind, it's just not equivalent to the benefits of a simple 2x2 tile being stone on one side and dirt on the other.

Edit: I re-read and realized you were talking about an option that backers could choose. That'd definitely work so that those who didn't want it could not opt into it.
Unless otherwise noted, my views and opinions on this forum are my own and do not, in any way, reflect the views and opinions of Dwarven Forge.

pacarat
Ogre
Ogre

Post by pacarat » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:23 pm

Oldent wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:45 pm

Reaper Con photo from update
Now, that's some elevation...

I backed it. Looking at negative builds as well, for fantasy, pulp, and pirates. Think these will be a great compliment to my DF caverns.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:45 pm

Reaper Con photo from update
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

jasdotcom
Ogre
Ogre

Post by jasdotcom » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:07 pm

I'm in. These just look too great to pass up. Since it's two-sided, I've asked the creator for a two-paint-scheme option with each side painted a different scheme (caves/earth, earth/lava, etc)

pacarat
Ogre
Ogre

Post by pacarat » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:53 am

HeroQuestFrance wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:52 am
It has a great design and are really modular caverns.
An awesome job without a doubt.

However I won't support it : WHERE ARE MY SQUARES !
Without it I'm totally lost.
No ...
If you get them unpainted you could probably paint in a faint 1" pattern...