Terrascapes Caves & Grottos Kickstarter - A nice augment to DF caverns?

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
minigrinder
Kobold
Kobold

Re: Terrascapes Caves & Grottos Kickstarter - A nice augment to DF caverns?

Post by minigrinder » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:22 am

I wish they were cheaper too!!!

lol, I can assure you folks that these pieces are priced as cheap as I can make them without it being pointless for me to jump through all these hoops to produce them. Furthermore, by volume I believe their value can be compared with any other terrain out there, especially when you consider their functionality. They are extremely fast to setup, and their double-sided nature adds to their modularity and varied gaming space.

It really is hard to get a sense of scale with these pieces, without seeing them in person honestly. It's not just 35 pieces or 70 sides. These are large tiles with the largest being over 8" × 8" and almost an inch high. 6 of those pieces are about 2 inches tall! Another 9 are almost 3 inches tall!!

Another post was concerned about their durability. I went ahead and made this video to show that they won't randomly shatter into a million pieces (as long as it's not a life goal to make them do so lol).
https://youtu.be/7O94HN9nqd4

Argh! No grid?!? Let me say that I too am a grid lover. The system we play relies on it heavily. When I designed these, I kept a mini with a 1" round base nearby. As such, much of the aesthetic spacing is optimized for 1" round bases. While there is no grid, I was surprised at how easy it was to account for movement as a result of the design. For spells and ranged attacks, a marked up dowel rod or string works fine. I can honestly say, it is a little liberating to play without a grid!

Originally I made this terrain to fill my own needs. I want to eventually broadcast totally immersive tabletop scenarios on my YouTube channel. Building a set for even a monthly show would be a struggle. I needed something that could be put together over and over and always be different. This is also one of the reasons why there is no grid. After playing on them I realized their potential.

I've been lurking on this post since my first failed attempt at launching TerraScapes. I am delighted by all the responses, both positive and negative! I just want to say that I am not on a mission to compete with DF, or anyone else. That would be a ridiculous prospect to say the least! I feel there is a void in quick to setup, Natural Terrain (with a capital N) out there. I will be focusing future sets primarily on Natural Terrain and scenic accessories. The next of which I am calling Cliffs & Crags! I'll begin working on them as soon as Caves & Grottos is fulfilled. Interested in seeing some previews of Cliffs & Crags? Take a look at the multi-sided Cave Walls in CnG. They essentially were my test run for CnC!

Finally, if you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them. Don't hold back, I can take it! And thanks again for your interest!

P.S. pick a pack up and throw them down on your DF! I know you'll wish you got more lol! They really go well together!

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:02 pm

Life hack: Cut them in half and use both sides at the same time! ;)

Seriously though, wish these were cheaper and I might be a backer.
106 Resin and 145 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:40 am

jasdotcom wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:21 am
GODofwar wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:22 pm
$4-500 for 37 pieces is about $13.50 per piece.

High even by DwF standards. I like the stuff, not the price.

TLW
for 74 pieces (since they are double sided) it's $6.75 per piece...though I'd discount that a bit due to not being able to use both sides at the same time :lol:
:lol: This is like comparing peaches and pumpkins prices per unit. :!:

You can use both sides by turning the tiles on end ;)
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

jasdotcom
Ogre
Ogre

Post by jasdotcom » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:21 am

GODofwar wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:22 pm

TLW
for 74 pieces (since they are double sided) it's $6.75 per piece...though I'd discount that a bit due to not being able to use both sides at the same time :lol:

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:22 pm

TLW
WeaselWarGod

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: FREE YOURSELF FROM THE GRID

Post by GODofwar » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:19 pm

ebrandeis wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:10 pm
GODofwar wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:49 pm
The argument about grid can be easily solved.
Take a round dowel, relatively small diameter, and mark it off with a black felt marker, relatively thin, into 1-square sized lengths.

You don't even need to number them.

When you move, put the dowel over the moving figure on the number of ticks = to figure's move, and move figure to the end of the stick.

Using a grid gives you unequal movement when moving diagonally. The Stik completely eliminates this AND the need for any grid. In addition, the grid allows completely predictable range fire and moves. Using sticks only, players have to guess ranges and moves. Much better.

The Chief Least Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, except KS5
Love this! I picked this up from you in the game you ran for us and plan to incorporate it in future games. :)
Thus do we learn from one another, O Trogs. Glad I contributed something!

TLW
WeaselWarGod

jasdotcom
Ogre
Ogre

Post by jasdotcom » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:22 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:39 pm
Just a notice to anyone on the fence on this; the larger pieces are Kickstarter exclusive because they take up so much mold space. The time involved in casting them is much more than the smaller pieces so after this he said they aren't being made again.
that's why I'm in for the whole shebang. That, and the price isn't much different than the Erindor Mountain set

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:39 pm

Just a notice to anyone on the fence on this; the larger pieces are Kickstarter exclusive because they take up so much mold space. The time involved in casting them is much more than the smaller pieces so after this he said they aren't being made again.
106 Resin and 145 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Magniopi
Orc
Orc

Post by Magniopi » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:19 am

if I'm reading the pledges correctly, the red box includes all three base sets (with special Kickstarter piece) for $168/$237.
The extra pieces outside the red box are what push the price to $400/$590.
I'm willing to give the base sets a chance.

Caverns.jpg
Caverns.jpg (121.59 KiB) Viewed 974 times

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:39 pm

The price seems acceptable to me for the size of the pieces, but I do not really see the need for them for me, and the price does not help as it is definitely not cheap, to be honest.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria