Kickstarter - MapForge

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
Heruca
Kobold
Kobold

Re: Kickstarter - MapForge

Post by Heruca » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:23 am

I still haven't received a reply to the email I sent to Dwarven Forge. It would be nice to be able to announce some sort of official support or DF Add-On DURING the KS campaign (3 weeks left on it).
MapForge is new mapping software for Windows and Mac. Funded on Kickstarter, and now on Indiegogo.

lostpict
Ogre
Ogre

Post by lostpict » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:45 pm

I did look at it. Very snazzy. I was trying to figure out how it would intersect with DF (vice the add-ons graphics packages).
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

Heruca
Kobold
Kobold

Post by Heruca » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:08 pm

Though not true 3D, I do plan to eventually have support for multiple "floors" on a map, to make it easy to, for example, line up the "down" stairs on one map with the "up" stairs on the lower map. Or to make a simple multi-level tower. On the higher stories of the tower, you could have the ground layer slightly blurred to add a height effect.
MapForge is new mapping software for Windows and Mac. Funded on Kickstarter, and now on Indiegogo.

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:43 pm

lostpict wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:51 pm
So is the plan to include graphics for all the DF Resin and Dwarvenite pieces in the base release? Also, does this support 3D elements so you can build multiple level structures?
Did you have a chance to check out the Kickstarter video?... you can even download a demo copy of the program. It's a program that allows you to make maps from image tiles and other image assets. There's no real 3D component to it, but I suppose there might be a way to create some sort of layer option so you could "build up" a map... much like how layers work in a program such as Photoshop.
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

lostpict
Ogre
Ogre

Post by lostpict » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:51 pm

So is the plan to include graphics for all the DF Resin and Dwarvenite pieces in the base release? Also, does this support 3D elements so you can build multiple level structures?
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

Saxon1974
Orc
Orc

Post by Saxon1974 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:24 am

Heruca wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:42 am
I have 3 small boys, too. I know all about not having enough free time, LOL!
:D

Heruca
Kobold
Kobold

Post by Heruca » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:42 am

I have 3 small boys, too. I know all about not having enough free time, LOL!

Saxon1974
Orc
Orc

Post by Saxon1974 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:29 am

AnimeSensei wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:06 pm
Saxon1974 wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:03 pm
My main issue with these software programs is the printing part. I don't want the hassle of taking it somewhere else to print nor cobbling together a bunch of 8x11 pages. If there was a service to use this and also have it printed in a large size with wet erase lamination that would be golden. I realize that's a completely seperate supply/production cost.

Looks neat though.
Sounds like you need to visit your local printing store. I know of several around me that can print poster sized jobs and laminate them. They also allow digital pictures, so just put the created map on a flash drive and bring it in with your specifications for how big you want the image printed. :)

Too much work, lol. I got no time with 3 small boys. Some day maybe ha

Heruca
Kobold
Kobold

Post by Heruca » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:44 pm

I will also be investigating the possibility of finding a printing service that offers a discount to users of my software who need large format printing done on a semi-regular basis. I've already been approached by one, even before I started looking. You would presumably get your maps delivered in the mail. However, I suspect local print stores would be more economical, since there's no cost for shipping & handling.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:06 pm

Saxon1974 wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:03 pm
My main issue with these software programs is the printing part. I don't want the hassle of taking it somewhere else to print nor cobbling together a bunch of 8x11 pages. If there was a service to use this and also have it printed in a large size with wet erase lamination that would be golden. I realize that's a completely seperate supply/production cost.

Looks neat though.
Sounds like you need to visit your local printing store. I know of several around me that can print poster sized jobs and laminate them. They also allow digital pictures, so just put the created map on a flash drive and bring it in with your specifications for how big you want the image printed. :)
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned