Kickstarter - MapForge

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
Saxon1974
Orc
Orc

Re: Kickstarter - MapForge

Post by Saxon1974 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:03 pm

My main issue with these software programs is the printing part. I don't want the hassle of taking it somewhere else to print nor cobbling together a bunch of 8x11 pages. If there was a service to use this and also have it printed in a large size with wet erase lamination that would be golden. I realize that's a completely seperate supply/production cost.

Looks neat though.

Heruca
Kobold
Kobold

Post by Heruca » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:25 am

I find it kind of funny how we both have "Forge" in out product names, but I assure you, it's strictly coincidence. :)
MapForge is new mapping software for Windows and Mac. Funded on Kickstarter, and now on Indiegogo.

Heruca
Kobold
Kobold

Post by Heruca » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:07 am

Hi folks! I'm the developer of MapForge. Thanks, jchunick, for posting about my project.

I've already had a number of KS backers PM me to ask about possible support for Dwarven Forge. I do indeed plan to have a feature in MapForge that inventories the tiles used, to help in planning and costing out a layout. That should be not only useful for DF, but also for other uses, I suspect.

The folks at DF should expect an email from me later today. :)
MapForge is new mapping software for Windows and Mac. Funded on Kickstarter, and now on Indiegogo.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:28 am

If everything works out he can also share with DF the most popular tile sets and they can use that in their decision making for what the next set's pieces should be. I see a win-win here as the mapmaker needs to be fixed.
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:24 am

He's going to contact someone at DF HQ and I encouraged and offered to help get him in contact with someone so we'll see what comes of that.
Unless otherwise noted, my views and opinions on this forum are my own and do not, in any way, reflect the views and opinions of Dwarven Forge.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:51 am

jchunick wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:26 pm
Harneloot wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:23 pm
Interesting, thanks for the link!

Kinda seems like a cross between Dundgini and Skeleton Key Games tiles. Looks like his money to be made will be in getting people to buy all the additional Tile Sets?

Curious also at the mention of Dearven Forge support.
He's interested in getting something going with Dwarven Forge -- I chatted with him a bit more tonight -- as a replacement for the online map maker tool. It looks like it would be a pretty good fit since it would keep count of the tiles and allow people to save layouts.
Sounds like a stretch goal for KS5. :)
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:26 pm

Harneloot wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:23 pm

Kinda seems like a cross between Dundgini and Skeleton Key Games tiles. Looks like his money to be made will be in getting people to buy all the additional Tile Sets?

He's interested in getting something going with Dwarven Forge -- I chatted with him a bit more tonight -- as a replacement for the online map maker tool. It looks like it would be a pretty good fit since it would keep count of the tiles and allow people to save layouts.
Unless otherwise noted, my views and opinions on this forum are my own and do not, in any way, reflect the views and opinions of Dwarven Forge.

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:23 pm

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Kickstarter - MapForge

Post by jchunick » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:56 pm

This is battlemap creation software for tabletop RPGs.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ba ... r-tabletop

I had a wonderful conversation the other day with the project creator. Turns out he recognized my name. Many, many years ago I was heavily invested in a software program called Director. I had written a lot of open source code for manipulating images and the individual pixels in them.. anyways, turns out he's using my imaging code in his software! That was a very pleasant surprise to actually hear of someone directly who is using it; and it's doubly cool to see it being used in a program to help fellow gamers, and made by a fellow gamer. It's a win - win - win!

This looks like another good tool to have in your toolbox, whether you're printing maps out for tabletop play or for use on Roll20.