tabletopblacksmith KS boat,tree and more till Nov 16

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: tabletopblacksmith KS boat,tree and more till Nov 16

Post by Oldent » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:01 pm

I think the best way to put a house in a tree is to use several trees. This Dollar Tree Christmas decoration makes a good example.

Two or three trees could sport a 4"by 4" platform for a house. Note the shape of the base. Your bases need to be as large as the foliage canopy or the trees will not stand up.

I think some small pines were requested. Keep in mind that small brush pines are available for 4 for a dollar. The Christmas decorations are also a dollar.

I have made the point elsewhere. I hate plastic foliage. William also has a thread on trees viewtopic.php?f=28&t=8625
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

TabletopBlacksmith

Post by TabletopBlacksmith » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:34 am

Hi guys. The artist here, the team made me aware of this thread and I wanted to hop in and make sure I understand how you're wanting to use some of this stuff and see how I can improve it for you if possible. What kind of other foliage for the top of the tree were you preferring/thinking? For example another person mentioned a conical evergreen top. That might be difficult with this particular design, but I'm open to exploring it (or possibly designing an entirely new tree). Any pictures, you could link here of what you're envisioning? Pictures help me a ton in understanding/capturing someone's vision.

You are correct about the bases. I've already widened them but have not manufactured another prototype with the new changes. A lot of this, in my mind, is in flux. I plan on making as many improvements as I can in as reasonable a timeframe possible (I don't want backers to wait any longer than necessary to receive their things ;) ), some of these improvements were just from observation/testing, but one of the most pleasant surprises for me with this Kickstarter has been the wealth of great suggestions and people vocalizing exactly what it is that they want! Much like D&D, it's feeling like an organic, collaborative process (this community is so great!).

The Elven home! Ah, that sounds like a cool idea, but I am unsure exactly what you're envisioning. Any cool pictures demonstrating what's in your mind's eye? I'm imagining a kind of tree house. Is this purely artistic? Like a modeled representation outwardly of a home that you just kind of lift off of the tree? Is it just permanently attached and used as set dressing? How large are you imagining it? 2"x2"? 4"x"4? Bigger? Or rectangular? like a 2"x4"? Again, any pictures that you can think of that capture your thinking are worth 1000 words. I'm thinking there may be a separate house piece possibly that is compatible with some (if not all) tree trunks?

All of your suggestions and feedback are SUPER welcome. Thank you! Regarding the multi-colored trees, I should probably talk with the team. Not sure if all of those different tiers would get confusing, but I THINK it should be possible. Have to get back to you on that. Hmm, and pricing may need to adjust for larger trees, but again, there are others on the team that are better about calculating that than I am!
lostpict wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:45 am
TabletopBlacksmith wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:46 am
That is a great idea! As we only have 2 tree designs right now we would love to add more to diversify the forest. 🤓

What sizes would you like to see as a bigger base? We currently can fit the 28mm minis in the small platform design and the large platform base can balance large or huge creatures on it.

Are you thinking of an elven home sized base? Because I think that would be fantastic! I can bring all of these suggestions to our terrain engineer. Thank you.
lostpict wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:46 pm
It would be great to see some more trees, bigger trees, and an offering for about 2 dozen to make a small woods.
Just me, but in addition to the current two trees, I would like to see a second two base tree that is taller with slightly different foliage (which could be interchange between trunks), a fourth tree with a large platform that could hold 6 25mm bases, and then two taller trees that incorporate some sort of elven home. I suspect the root base needs to be bigger so that the taller trees are stable.

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:59 pm

Is it feasible to offer the prepainted foliage in alternate colors? A canopy in red and orange for autumn, or as a different type of (fantasy) tree.

Would a conical evergreen canopy fit on the existing trunks?

Is there any reason an elven home can’t be supported by three or four trees?
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

lostpict
Ogre
Ogre

Post by lostpict » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:45 am

TabletopBlacksmith wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:46 am
That is a great idea! As we only have 2 tree designs right now we would love to add more to diversify the forest. 🤓

What sizes would you like to see as a bigger base? We currently can fit the 28mm minis in the small platform design and the large platform base can balance large or huge creatures on it.

Are you thinking of an elven home sized base? Because I think that would be fantastic! I can bring all of these suggestions to our terrain engineer. Thank you.
lostpict wrote:
It would be great to see some more trees, bigger trees, and an offering for about 2 dozen to make a small woods.
Just me, but in addition to the current two trees, I would like to see a second two base tree that is taller with slightly different foliage (which could be interchange between trunks), a fourth tree with a large platform that could hold 6 25mm bases, and then two taller trees that incorporate some sort of elven home. I suspect the root base needs to be bigger so that the taller trees are stable.
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

TabletopBlacksmith

Post by TabletopBlacksmith » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:46 am

lostpict wrote:

lostpict
Ogre
Ogre

Post by lostpict » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:46 pm

Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

TabletopBlacksmith

Post by TabletopBlacksmith » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:59 pm

Thank you so much for your high praise and taking the time to check us out.

We have expanded the base to make it more stable and are working on allowing enough space in the tree to allow for minis to be placed inside hidden from sight when the scene is set up.

We also didn't even think of highlighting the fact that the support beams can be used for miniatures. Genius!

Thank you so much for you comments and your time. It's because of amazing companies like Dwarven forge and communities like the Tabletop RPG community that we are able to pursue our dreams and create the tools that we have developed.

Our humblest thanks,
-The Tabletop Blacksmith team

jackattack wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:08 pm
Whether you like the aesthetic, or need the pieces, I think this KS deserves notice for a few reasons.

It takes a different approach to modular dungeon design, which is minimalist and very practical. Two-sided floors and freestanding walls — elegantly simple.

I like the tree design. I like it a lot. It has full foliage for diorama or table cover uses, the canopies come off for table access (with trunks in place for movement and line-of-sight obstacles), and there are platforms for minis to stand on. That’s everything I want a terrain tree to do. I think the bases probably need to be larger, but basing is the easiest mod there is.

I do wish they included the size of the large platform. I’d like to know if a small tower level would fit on it...

I don’t follow boats for miniatures, so I don’t know if these are new innovations or not.

Breaking a basic boat into modular aft, amidship, and bow pieces is great, especially with optional mast pieces. Ships can vary from aft-and-bow only to ridiculous “stretch limo” lengths; they can have no masts, all of the masts, or masts in odd fantasy configurations. I hope they can find a way to add boom-rigged masts as well as yards (perhaps using a clear post to prop up the free end).

Underside elevation posts are neat idea that makes water encounters more interesting and easier to play. I think it would work even better if the posts were clear, and I think they missed an opportunity by not not adding elevation posts for minis to stand on (flight bases, or better yet, floating bases), but it still works fine as is.

This is a solid KS, and if I could scrounge together a few hundred dollars I might go in for a couple of boats and a small grove’s-worth of trees.

Rabbit Burner
Orc
Orc

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:33 am

Only shipping in the US :(

Otherwise might go in for a boat - don't have one yet and this one looks like a good intro.

The trees are interesting and versatile but don't like the look.
I am the Game and I want to Play

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:30 pm

I like the trees too
106 Resin and 145 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:08 pm

Whether you like the aesthetic, or need the pieces, I think this KS deserves notice for a few reasons.

It takes a different approach to modular dungeon design, which is minimalist and very practical. Two-sided floors and freestanding walls — elegantly simple.

I like the tree design. I like it a lot. It has full foliage for diorama or table cover uses, the canopies come off for table access (with trunks in place for movement and line-of-sight obstacles), and there are platforms for minis to stand on. That’s everything I want a terrain tree to do. I think the bases probably need to be larger, but basing is the easiest mod there is.

I do wish they included the size of the large platform. I’d like to know if a small tower level would fit on it...

I don’t follow boats for miniatures, so I don’t know if these are new innovations or not.

Breaking a basic boat into modular aft, amidship, and bow pieces is great, especially with optional mast pieces. Ships can vary from aft-and-bow only to ridiculous “stretch limo” lengths; they can have no masts, all of the masts, or masts in odd fantasy configurations. I hope they can find a way to add boom-rigged masts as well as yards (perhaps using a clear post to prop up the free end).

Underside elevation posts are neat idea that makes water encounters more interesting and easier to play. I think it would work even better if the posts were clear, and I think they missed an opportunity by not not adding elevation posts for minis to stand on (flight bases, or better yet, floating bases), but it still works fine as is.

This is a solid KS, and if I could scrounge together a few hundred dollars I might go in for a couple of boats and a small grove’s-worth of trees.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch