Dragon lock 3

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Dragon lock 3

Post by kodiakbear » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:05 pm

Bossman wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:19 pm
There is so many cool 3D printed accessories appearing that I'm sure I will get involved but really just for unique accessories.

The last (and current) dragon lock campaigns have some really cool items I would like to buy prints of. Has anyone seen these for sale?

Cheers
You should ask over at Fat Dragon's site about accessories, but if you are going to pay for terrain made by someone else I would stick with DF.

Bossman
Orc
Orc

Post by Bossman » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:19 pm

There is so many cool 3D printed accessories appearing that I'm sure I will get involved but really just for unique accessories.

The last (and current) dragon lock campaigns have some really cool items I would like to buy prints of. Has anyone seen these for sale?

Cheers

thebigteacher
Orc
Orc

Post by thebigteacher » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:10 am

Big fan of FD and I'm in on this Kickstarter.

lostpict
Ogre
Ogre

Post by lostpict » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:58 pm

So I just bought a 3d printer for home use and am looking forward to giving it a go.

I have seen a number of high quality applications in the Naval arena and know that it is primarily an economy of scale transition at this point for the high quality, fast printer price points to come down by orders of magnitude.

I think volume home printing is a long way off, but quality home printers will make one-off stuff and you will send big jobs to kinkos or safeways for drone delivery to your location.

The time line will be entirely driven by consumer demand and the emergence of the killer application.

My grown son told me last night that he wants to use this new printer to primarily make killer Nerf gun parts (& terrain).
Last edited by lostpict on Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:10 pm

I see a day when many of us will use 3d technology to print specisl pieces we need for specific encounters

I highly doubt it will ever be practical or cost effective for the bulk pieces

Some will still do it - because they enjoy that as a hobby in and of itself (like painting minis vs plasticrack)

STL files of basic DF pieces that we could use to modify and customize would be awesome. I would not ever expect DF to make specialty pieces available this way - just walls floors and corners

This is very much like the free PDF with print book. Some msnufacturers embrace it (recognizing that will be abused). Others fear it. There is validity in both arguments
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

ced1106
Orc
Orc

Post by ced1106 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:21 am

kodiakbear on the Forge Prints Adventurescapes comments said, "Just so you know Fat Dragon Games has build a large community of customers going back years and years from their paper craft days and while many companies have done successful 3D file KS. I am not aware of any that have such a successful forum community as FDG. I visit the forum and Tom and many of the forum regulars will go out of their way to help newbies get the most out of their 3d printers all the time.
It looks like you are starting to build a strong community like Reapers forum and Dwarven Forges forum, If you do decide to do 3D files just be ready to be a teacher and coach on 3D printing if you wish to have what FDG has in their forum community."

So that's another issue to consider. I'm also sure that, as 3D printers become better and more affordable, we'll see *free* .stl files, much like you can find free 2D game tiles. Battlestations has already given away its .stl files for its miniatures, and I think Fireside Games gave away .stl files for miniatures for its Village Crone boardgame.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:36 pm

Sir William
A very cool Photo
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

bernyleung
Ogre
Ogre

Post by bernyleung » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:07 pm

The big thing about hobby 3D printing right now for me is TIME. How much time would you need, with entry-level equipment, to print out all the tiles you need to build a Royal Stronghold? If the answer is "4 months" then my eyes glaze over and I'm looking for something else.

And how much wear and tear on the equipment would that amount of printing do? Need for re-alignment? Wastage from misprint or print failure?

William
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by William » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:02 pm

Thought I would try a single shot of the Fairy Mushroom Ring here now then try the step by step in another post later. It FAILED :?: :?: :?:
Ah ha... It did it again?
Lets try these two pictures showing the message I received and actual picture of the properties of the picture I tried to post... WTF? It should have worked, but the forum thinks it's still a giant picture.
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (51.11 KiB) Viewed 677 times
:?: 4608x3456 ---------------------------------- NOOOOO it's 679x516
Untitled2.jpg
Untitled2.jpg (45.81 KiB) Viewed 677 times
Anyone else having a problem with posting pictures that should post, but are getting this kind of message?
Not sure what to do, I even renamed the picture and moved them out of original folder. :? :?:

So here I opened picture and did a screen shot. Now it works. This is ridiculous, but solves a small problem. Instead of shrinking each picture I'll just have to do a screen shot of each... as I said ridiculous!!!
Untitled3.jpg
Untitled3.jpg (145.47 KiB) Viewed 673 times
The purple shriekers are from same company but not really part of the ring.
Can you guess which dragon base this was from in Bones III?
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

lostpict
Ogre
Ogre

Post by lostpict » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:15 pm

DF STL files can also address legacy vice City building size challenges for times when you need the larger size tiles in smaller size to fit in that dungeon or vice versa. You could just print out something just the size you wanted. As a great example, I really like the CBS roofs, but when you line up 3 in a row, they are too long (due to the eaves). I am sure it would cost too much for DF to ever make subscale roofs, but with an STL file I could make them a few little bit shorter and address the overhang challenge.

This would also be an avenue for DF to re-package some of the long OOP product for an emerging market. Things like DOE, Woodlands, Catacombs, or Sci-Fi could be laser scanned, resized to a precise size, and STL sets sold for the benefit of both DF and the those too late to the market to buy these at anything but collectors prices.

OBTW, I spend a small amount of my time engaging in the US Navy's Additive Manufacturing (3D printing and even cooler things) activities and I think the transition from crafty-hobbyist tool to regular home appliance is a lot sooner than we think. For the grognards on the board, do you remember the rapid transition form thermal and dot matrix printers to laser printers? Mostly driven by market demand vice technological challenges. Any way, hoping some cool DF STL files are in our future.
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com