Dragon lock 3

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Dragon lock 3

Post by Oldent » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:43 am

I think the Dragon lock style looks good enough to blend with my MBA castle. The KS render is closer to the new MBA Draw bridge. I do not have one to photo. The MBA gate house with drawbridge has murder holes the DL does not.The dragon lock gate house shares features with plastic and styrofoam Games Workshop gates as well.

I like the idea of the fairy circle, I will make one.
I hope Adventurescapes makes some mimic doors.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:13 am

I was curious about the texture and had some Dragon Lock tiles printed.

I like the tea light concept. I do not have any experience with this plastic it seems brittle. I will modify a few pieces before I make up my mind. I have a project on my tables so my work space is too cluttered.The background is a display base for the MBA. The cast are from six or eight different 4 bot and Hirst Art Molds. and detailed with sand, very small stones and stamped clay. I have been using texture rollers, It is amazing what can be done with clay and even foam core.

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:06 am

Any as for the actual KS this thread was about here are the stretch goals they have now.

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:01 am

lostpict wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:07 am
I would much prefer DF to sell encrypted STL files as part of a KS pledge. That way I could printout some of the really cool things from DOD or the castles or future docks etc. for immediate use while I wait for the far better injected molded version to arrive.
It would be an interesting idea to have DF do high res scans of the KS sculpts and sell them as STL files as part of a KS pledge. It would need to be super easy for them to do or it would just get in the way of their main mission to bring awesome Dwarvenite to us. Plus you have the question of does a person only get the STL files for the sculpts in their pledge or can they get all the STL files and no physical tiles. And does DF want to deal with any of this any way or at this point are they happy just let other companies such as FDG have this part of the market.

I think today they are still not interested in selling files but who knows what they will want to do in a few years.

My guess is that as long a customer want Dwarvenite DF is going to stick with it.

lostpict
Ogre
Ogre

Post by lostpict » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:07 am

Putting on my hip waders for this one.

In addition to a half-ton of DF resin and PVC stuff, I have hand-made buildings, Hirst Arts cast buildings (including some his prototype molds from way back in the day), Armourcast, JrMiniatures, Pegasus, Conflix, PMC games, The Miniature Building Authority, 4Ground, Sarissa, yadda, yadda, yadda buildings and dungeons. All great and meet most of my needs, but don't cover all the bases.

So I also have bought 3D printed stuff and STL files to fill the niches, not as good BUT it fills the niches and is immediately available.

I would much prefer DF to sell encrypted STL files as part of a KS pledge. That way I could printout some of the really cool things from DOD or the castles or future docks etc. for immediate use while I wait for the far better injected molded version to arrive. I doubt many DF customers would choose STL files over dwarvenite, but bet many would skip other vendors STL files for 100% DF compatible offerings.
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:12 pm

The Hobbit Bridge

I think the bridge in NY was the inspiration for the DF bridge

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:53 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:26 pm
I disagree.

When was the armorcast system done?
The mid to late 1990's

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:11 pm

If large 3D printers were more common they likely would have done this bridge in 3D file.

bernyleung
Ogre
Ogre

Post by bernyleung » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:53 pm

I won't change anybody's mind, but the DL bridge piece is probably only 4" long, maybe 5", because most people don't have a 3-D printer with a larger than 5x5 print tray.
And I don't really see so much a fantasy bridge as just a regular arched bridge. Any extension must have a support pier, otherwise it would not hold its own weight, never mind anything that would cross it. The physics demand it.

Is the DL rendering exactly the same as the DF offering? No. Is it damn close? Perhaps. But that only counts in horseshoes and grenades.

marcoreds
Orc
Orc

Post by marcoreds » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:08 pm

I just do not agree that "a bridge is a bridge", so their design couldn't but be like the DF one, and DF one can't but be a copy of something that came before.

We can say that DF took the general idea of the bridge from Lord of the Rings, or general fantasy, or whatever.

But I mean, look at FDG bridge:

Dungeon Bridge.jpg
Dungeon Bridge.jpg (65.72 KiB) Viewed 299 times

and the one DF just did:

Bridge.jpg
Bridge.jpg (80.17 KiB) Viewed 299 times

Is this specific design really the only possible way to do a fantasy bridge, so much so that anybody who does a fantasy bridge can't but incur in this design? Divided in exactly 3 pieces like this? With the 2 lateral bases 6 squares long, and the central one 4 squares long? Come on... Try and google "fantasy bridge" and you can find a few thousands fantasy bridges that have nothing in common with this up here.

So, one argument is:
- The market segment is so small, that it doesn't matter if they copy DF or not, because people who can afford DF will get DF anyway, those who prefer DYO will have this option.

Another completely different one is:
- The fact that their campaigns always happen to pick the same themes that DF just picked is just coincidence. The similarity in some of the designs is also random, and it's because those particular elements are evidently best done that way, DF or not DF.

I might agree with the first one, but for the second one... In another zone of my country they have a wording for this, that is "ccà nisciuno è fesso!".