Dragon lock 3

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Dragon lock 3

Post by Harneloot » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:06 pm

Oldent wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:56 pm
marcoreds
Both of the bridges look like the bridge in the Hobbit Movie. Although I think Dwarven Forge drew inspiration from a Bridge in New York. I think the Dragon lock bridge will stay together while I have little faith in magnets. The Round Tower looks like a plaster cast that has been around for a decade. I first saw the cut out floor design on the Hirst Art site.The Dwarven double door looks like one I saw on a craft site made from paper and foam core. . Some of us have been asking for double doors for years. I think this door looks like the door I created after seeing the Lord of the Rings Movie.It also looks like a door in current production in Poland.None of this is new or original. None of this is Dwarven Forge's original idea.

I am a Lord Of the Rings Fan Boy not a GW LOTR Fanboy. I have been collecting for a long time. I am very familiar with what is and what has been available. I am happy to see some of these ideas back in production.I like resin better than plaster and vacuum form. I think injected molded plastic and PVC is superior to 3D print. However, as this technology improves bets are off.
Meh...you can rant and rationalize all you like, the fact remains they are copying DF sculpts. They may deny it, you may deny it, but it is quite clear to many. Maybe some people think that is *ok* but others, including me, do not. This pattern is happening after every DF KS now and I call foul.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:01 pm

kodiakbear wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:55 pm
They are so talented. I think it is a new record, only four post to another childish argument. :roll:
You and I are on the same page in this discussion. No need to pile on after the whistle . ;)
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:56 pm

marcoreds
Both of the bridges look like the bridge in the Hobbit Movie. Although I think Dwarven Forge drew inspiration from a Bridge in New York. I think the Dragon lock bridge will stay together while I have little faith in magnets. The Round Tower looks like a plaster cast that has been around for a decade. I first saw the cut out floor design on the Hirst Art site.The Dwarven double door looks like one I saw on a craft site made from paper and foam core. . Some of us have been asking for double doors for years. I think this door looks like the door I created after seeing the Lord of the Rings Movie.It also looks like a door in current production in Poland.None of this is new or original. None of this is Dwarven Forge's original idea.

I am a Lord Of the Rings Fan Boy not a GW LOTR Fanboy. I have been collecting for a long time. I am very familiar with what is and what has been available. I am happy to see some of these ideas back in production.I like resin better than plaster and vacuum form. I think injected molded plastic and PVC is superior to 3D print. However, as this technology improves bets are off.

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:55 pm

They are so talented. I think it is a new record, only four post to another childish argument. :roll:

marcoreds
Orc
Orc

Post by marcoreds » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:58 pm

I don't consider myself a DF fanboy (I have in fact only recently come to DF, and own a lot more non-DF tiles than DF ones), I surely do not work for DF, and I do like Dragon Lock 3D printable dungeons.

I did buy some of their files in the past, in particular for the reason they have quite a few different and original designs, or variations of designs, not found in DF or others. I do not blame them for liking DF tiles and offering something similar, getting "inspired" by others is normal.

I think, though, that they could have avoided things like these:

Dungeon Bridge.jpg
Dungeon Bridge.jpg (65.72 KiB) Viewed 410 times

Vaulted Large Curve.jpg
Vaulted Large Curve.jpg (122.73 KiB) Viewed 410 times

2x4 Grand Vaulted Wall.jpg
2x4 Grand Vaulted Wall.jpg (128.58 KiB) Viewed 410 times

You like the idea, take it, and design your own version of it.

For example, I find that what they do with mountains is an original take on mountains. Of course, they are doing mountains after seeing the success of DF mountains, that's undeniable, but they do their own version, and imho that's ok, it's not like DF has some kind of copyright on the concept of "mountains". I am actually happy to see different implementations of the same concepts, iteration brings innovation.

But if you want to do a dungeon bridge, I think you should design your own version of it, not do a 3D render of a DF piece.

Just my 2 cents.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:30 pm

jchunick wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:00 pm
Oldent wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:26 pm
jchunick wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:10 pm

Haha. I get it; poke, poke. ;-)
I wish DF well so I keep some of my thoughts to myself.I will say the same for Adventurescape and Dragon lock. We have enough real counterfeiters to worry about. I may have to have some one print the tea light forge for me.In would rather have DF make one . That is also a Poke ;)
Personally, I pretty much only care about the butcher job you do on interpreting what I've written and how you misrepresent what I write. Otherwise, we're cool.
I will go on quoting you. You are responsible for butchering yourself.

"Otherwise, we're cool." Please spare me :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:00 pm

Oldent wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:26 pm
jchunick wrote:

I wish DF well so I keep some of my thoughts to myself.I will say the same for Adventurescape and Dragon lock. We have enough real counterfeiters to worry about. I may have to have some one print the tea light forge for me.In would rather have DF make one . That is also a Poke ;)
Personally, I pretty much only care about the butcher job you do on interpreting what I've written and how you misrepresent what I write. Otherwise, we're cool.
Unless otherwise noted, my views and opinions on this forum are my own and do not, in any way, reflect the views and opinions of Dwarven Forge.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:26 pm

jchunick wrote:

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:10 pm

Oldent wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:08 pm
"Competition is always good, but it'd be more impressive and I'd respect them more if they could come up with their own ideas, not just trying to "ride the money train."

Paper terrain has been around far longer than Dwarven Forge. I began casting dungeons in the 1970's Most of the product ideas have been available as vacuum form and cast kits for years.The ideas are not new or original. Form follows function. Dwarven Forge was not the first to use injection molds and magnets to produce modular dungeons.Are the cardboard dungeon makers copping DF too?

You are making the argument that JRR Tolkien ripped off Harry Potter.You sound like Games Workshop Fanboys

I am not staff. Nothing I say puts Dwaven Forge at risk. I can not say the same for you two. :!:
Unless otherwise noted, my views and opinions on this forum are my own and do not, in any way, reflect the views and opinions of Dwarven Forge.

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:49 pm

I haven't actually seen the FDG sewers myself, so I can't say for certain how I think about it. I can say that if the design mimics the DF version closely enough that it was probably not the best choice to go that route considering the number of potential designs for sewers. Apeing it too closely would be in my personal opinion bad form.

As far as tiles in general go, they have all had roughly the same styles and dimensions, with some variation, regardless of who has put them out. I wouldn't call that cause for condemnation. The trees have been in demand in a number of places, not just these forums. While I like the look of flocked, there are those that aren't interested in doing the work to seal them enough and want solid trees. There is a big thread here, but they have been asked for more places than this. Besides, DF has not even touched that topic yet. Reading other forums for ideas is hardly shady anyway, it should probably be standard business practice. FDG are also not the first to make a "dwarven forge".

Their mountains seem more reminiscent of the old Heroscape hex mountain terrain design with some additional bits to dress them up and upgraded than of the actual concepts discussed on here. Are there some striking similarities to some DF stuff? You can make that argument, but no more so than many other manufacturers that have not been called out in these forums like this. I'm not sure that the level of condemnation is appropriate. Another thing to keep in mind is that certain language can have possible legal impact. Whether or not any company would pursue it (in this industry most would probably never do so), it still is something to consider given the image it projects. Even if we don't represent DF directly, what we say on these forums can affect how other potential fans see the community and thus how they feel about the product.