Adventurescapes

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Adventurescapes

Post by AnimeSensei » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:13 pm

DF's resin is more stone-like. I had a piece break once and the break texture wasn't smooth, the texture was gritty. It broke like I would expect a plaster to. It was easily glued with no issues. Other resin I have seems to be honest to goodness, smooth plastic if it breaks, with discoloration at pressure points, etc. My DF piece had none of that. However my DF pieces also don't chip like hydrostone, etc. either. To me is seems like a hybrid product.

I think DF puts something in their resin to give it more weight and a less plastic like feel. But this is all from personal experience and not from any real knowledge of the resin formulas or any knowledge on casting/molding either.
106 Resin and 145 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:08 pm

kodiakbear wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:28 pm
Oldent wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:12 am
It is all plastic.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastic
I read what you read, so I do not know what they are using.
Thank you.

I figured my laymen terms knowledge as used in the classification of miniature material was possibly in conflict with a true definition of its meaning.
My big issue with the Adventurescape docks is they do not match the style I use. I am not worried about them holding up.

This is a photo of the Blackburn docks. They are resin. The Old Glory foam buildings are back in production.All of the resin sets I use are hard wearing.The water is fabric. I think the matt is from Cigar Box
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:28 pm

Oldent wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:12 am
It is all plastic.
I read what you read, so I do not know what they are using.
Thank you.

I figured my laymen terms knowledge as used in the classification of miniature material was possibly in conflict with a true definition of its meaning.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:12 am

kodiakbear wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:23 am
I have a few questions for those of you who know about resin.

I am not kind to my Dwarvenite, I love using it and then throw it in to bins I do not see what I think of resin surviving that long term but their video was impressive. So resin gurus what do you think?
It is all plastic.
I read what you read, so I do not know what they are using.I have some DF resin tiles from 96 they have held up well. I have the first production Armourcast Orc Gargant. That resin has turned brittle.The Armourcast bridge has held up well. I store my Dwarvinite flat so that it does not warp in the heat.Even plastic army men will turn brittle over time.I
I am going to give it a chance. I do not care for all of the texture so I am going to limit it to a few rooms. I already have docks.

Production from 1998 I think. The joints have suffered from the heat. My storage area is not climate controlled.

This is the arm upgrade] I made a few years back.The resin is still strong enough to survive transport and hard use.
Armourcast has changed hands the bridge is back in production. http://www.armorcast.com/fantasy/bridge ... -gargoyles
http://www.armorcast.com/fantasy/medieval-buildings

ebrandeis
Orc
Orc

Post by ebrandeis » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:46 am

kodiakbear wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:23 am

My first question is when is resin also a plastic? I realize that I maybe thinking in laymen terms and they maybe talking in manufacturing or chemist terms. They may want to keep the secrete formula so to speak a secrete and I understand that also. I just wonder if this is a bunch of marketing speak or if they really have something next level. I saw the KS video they did for the tiles but my questions on accessory durability did not real get answered in the KS comments section. So my second question is if the tiles that I really do not need will last for years but the accessories I do really want will either need to be babied or broken in a year?
I'm also curious about this. I do hope their accessories are as strong as what they showed with the game tiles.

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:23 am

I have a few questions for those of you who know about resin.

I know from pass conversations on this site and others that not all miniature/terrain resins are equal and that what equipment you use with that resin and how well you know what you are doing vastly effect the quality of the end product.

With that said Forge Prints which in the last few of their KS had just called the material they used resin has in this KS on the main page said "All of our models are made with an industry leading hard plastic resin that is both extremely durable and capable of capturing astonishing details!" and in the comments said "Also you are going to see some new categories on the store, as well as every product will have a material data point now. we will flag items if they are our standard high quality plastic or our new semi rigid near indestructible plastic. You are going to start to see certain accessories where it makes sense show up in the new material. And most likely an entire new category in the site taxonomy to make it easier to shop.
There are pros and cons to both of our materials, I can tell you our new material has a higher production cost and we do not have quite as much production capacity with it as well so we will not be simply switching everything over. Also the molds are slightly different as well so its a significant deal for us to change products over."

My first question is when is resin also a plastic? I realize that I maybe thinking in laymen terms and they maybe talking in manufacturing or chemist terms. They may want to keep the secrete formula so to speak a secrete and I understand that also. I just wonder if this is a bunch of marketing speak or if they really have something next level. I saw the KS video they did for the tiles but my questions on accessory durability did not real get answered in the KS comments section. So my second question is if the tiles that I really do not need will last for years but the accessories I do really want will either need to be babied or broken in a year?

I am not kind to my Dwarvenite, I love using it and then throw it in to bins I do not see what I think of resin surviving that long term but their video was impressive. So resin gurus what do you think?

ebrandeis
Orc
Orc

Post by ebrandeis » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:54 am

Animewarped wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:29 pm
They just posted an add-on with outhouses... sold! If they were by themselves I'd be getting like 6 of them. Something nice to randomly place around the dungeon... XD
Yup - six pack of outhouses would be an instant buy from me as well.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:43 am

Tiles from Green Hoard

The Adventurescape beach tiles will be perfect to recreate the Black Plague Green Hoard tiles.

Dwarven Forge no longer supports/stocks the resin inn.

I am going to add the Adventurescape kitchen tiles doors and windows for more options. I like the Stone tile well enough to at least add the round doors.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:18 am

AnimeSensei wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:22 am
Animewarped wrote:
They just posted an add-on with outhouses... sold! If they were by themselves I'd be getting like 6 of them. Something nice to randomly place around the dungeon... XD
https://minimonsters.eu/en_US/p/Outhouse/108
The Mini Monster buildings are very nice. I do not use them because the style does not match what I already have.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:22 am

Animewarped wrote:
https://minimonsters.eu/en_US/p/Outhouse/108
106 Resin and 145 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned