Dragon lock 3

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Dragon lock 3

Post by kodiakbear » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:16 pm

Yes Fat Dragon Games has been doing this stuff in paper craft for years.

Yes Dwarven Forge has done five very well done KS, bring gamers dungeons, caverns, villages, sewers, castles and mountains.

And Yes Fat Dragon Games has done three very well done KS bringing gamers files for tiles in almost the same things in the same order as the DF KS.

None of the above who came first or did something first really matters.

Because DF brings gamers pre-painted or unpainted ready to use tiles and FDG brings gamers files that they can print themselves, clean up themselves and then use or paint before using them.

While FDG has been making paper craft items for years it is obvious that they have followed the same path as DF has for Dwarvenite in the making of files (and in one instance (sewers) made what looks like a copy), which makes sense because DF was following the path of the average DMs needs, plus why would FDG not be watching the actions of the world leader of gaming terrain.

3D printers are getting faster and better but lets face it most DF customers are not going to go to 3D printing because they want tiles right out of the box heck even our excellent crafters here do not only craft they also want tiles ready to go.

There are other companies that are much more troubling for DF than FDG.

The above is just my opinion so take it as that.
Last edited by kodiakbear on Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:33 pm

This is as good a place as any.
I got an update from CMON yesterday.The plastic trees for Ice and Fire are very nice. They are very compatible with the Dragon Lock trees.The CAD artist are quite good.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:08 pm

"Competition is always good, but it'd be more impressive and I'd respect them more if they could come up with their own ideas, not just trying to "ride the money train."

Paper terrain has been around far longer than Dwarven Forge. I began casting dungeons in the 1970's Most of the product ideas have been available as vacuum form and cast kits for years.The ideas are not new or original. Form follows function. Dwarven Forge was not the first to use injection molds and magnets to produce modular dungeons.Are the cardboard dungeon makers copping DF too?

You are making the argument that JRR Tolkien ripped off Harry Potter.You sound like Games Workshop Fanboys

I am not staff. Nothing I say puts Dwaven Forge at risk. I can not say the same for you two. :!:

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:51 pm

As far as the trees go... I have no idea, but I would suspect like any smart business person they are quite aware of the forum discussions here; anyone can create an account and view the posts here and the tree thread is very popular.

They do seem to ride on the coattails of DF's successful Kickstarters - it'd be crazy to think otherwise, to be sure... I mean, how do you put castles, mountains (basalt-like columns) and dungeon traps together into a single KS and not have people make the connection to DF's last two Kickstarters (and what's discussed on this forum)?

Competition is always good, but it'd be more impressive and I'd respect them more if they could come up with their own ideas, not just trying to "ride the money train."
Unless otherwise noted, my views and opinions on this forum are my own and do not, in any way, reflect the views and opinions of Dwarven Forge.

geekjeff
Ogre
Ogre

Post by geekjeff » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:15 pm

It's a damn shame, because there are a few great original designs in there which I'd love to have on my table. I've backed a few worthy, original 3D design projects even though I don't (yet) own a 3D printer.

BUT, I don't feel that blatant plagiarists deserve any financial support.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Dragon lock 3

Post by Oldent » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:49 am

Dragon lock 3
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/16 ... rous-lairs

Look for the Dwarven Forge

I do not Have a 3D printer. I do not like the material. I had some printed by a friend because I was curious.

They clearly have an ear for what people want. Note he trees, the basalt columns and the Dwarven Forge I like the Dwarf theme. When you snooze you loose, people have been begging for some of this stuff for years.