Why All the Secrecy Around KS5?

Kryzsko
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Why All the Secrecy Around KS5?

Post by Kryzsko » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:08 am

Harneloot, I would not mind that but I think it is unlikely. Stefan has said in the past that they need to do one KS per year in order to keep paying their employees. Also on Facebook I asked Eyle when his KS would be, and he said he was not sure because he was doing a bunch of work on DF KS5 stuff.

Kryzsko
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Kryzsko » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:02 am

I understand keeping some surprises up your sleeve, but not everything. How can your fans get excited, and more importantly how can they have time to get others people excited.

It just seems to me that in the months leading up to a big KS campaign you want to start building some hype and get people talking about the upcoming products on other forums and with other hobbyists. Having some pictures to share would be great, but that is not even what I am talking about. I just want to know things like, are they going to re-release dungeons, will it be only addons for KS1-4, and/or are they doing outdoor tiles? Just some general idea of the overall direction.

Maybe the plan is to begin talking about this stuff in January. I sure hope so because December is almost over.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:17 am

I would actually love that, I had to pass on so much in the Castle KS.
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:50 am

Perhaps DF is planning to take a break this year and KS5 will not launch until next fall or even 2018?

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:58 am

I'm there with you Douglas, I don't get it. :?:
Wonderfully talented sculptures and design, but seemingly no marketing technique.
Getting something out now, to get people talking months in advance could only help in my opinion.
Then again, I may be wrong. My wife works in marketing, but custom homes are a bit different than RPG terrain. I still would love to see a bit of what's in store for the KS. Maybe just a concept idea.
Please drop half a split pea if not a whole bean. ;)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:26 am

I hate to be negative, but in this case I just am. I really dislike the DF secrecy and the "soon" mentality. I am sure in the old resin days, it was a mystery what was going on, but I do not know as I came on board with KSI.

Seriously, do they think seeing DF stuff is going to diminish enthusiasm? Elye showed off nearly everything in his KS months in advance, and his Ks still went great. Reaper does the same with Bones. Most mini companies do, too.

Sometimes I just want to stop paying attention to DF to reduce my stress, but so far, I am still around.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Kryzsko
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Kryzsko » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:00 am

I don't have as much of a problem with the lack of details, but more with the lack of any information at all. We know nothing. There was some talk about the focus being on supplementing KS1-4, but nothing concreat or official. With KS3 we knew it would be cities, and that 4 would be castles long before the campaigns.

I assume that we will have some idea what the focus of KS5 will be before it launches.

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:52 am

It is possible that they are under the illusion that we have lives and would rather spend our holidays thinking about our families and not what new DF items will come out in KS5. ;)

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:25 am

The answer to these questions is very simple.

Nate is a Beanslayer. With all the work he has done on previous Kickstarters he has gained a LOT of experience. He leveled up. Twice. Do you know how hard it is to sneak a teaser picture past a 12th level Beanslayer?
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:43 am

It was like this with the last 2 kickstarters, really. I remember with KS3 someone changed the Kickstarter icon for the DF profile a few hours early and people posted it here; Nate thought someone had hacked their computers and was NOT HAPPY. :P

I don't get it either. I would love more info, even just a list of potentialities for what we're looking at. I want to know if I should save my money or not. (I'm sure I will need to but you know what I mean.)

All I ask DF is __PLEASE__ make this KS more wallet friendly. I want a KS like 1 and 2 where the pieces were cheaper due to less complexity. I urge them to keep the complex pieces at a minimal level if necessary (like magnetic walls for dungeons and caverns); I can't do another KS like the last one. My wife would divorce me. Or kill me. Or both.
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned