New Theme

bernyleung
Ogre
Ogre

Re: New Theme

Post by bernyleung » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:04 pm

Hmm...the Michael's thatch roof looks a little corny with the layers, and I was thinking more of a straw colour.

The Joanne's roofs look pretty good, but small. Would be great if it were a 4x4 or 4x8!

Ah, if wishes were horses...or Dwarvenite....

William
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by William » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:14 pm

Anything like these?

Michael's Round thatch(ish) roof (umbrella in store) with KS#1 Round walls cut into for narrow door from Resin DF-
Hut 01.jpg
Hut 01.jpg (161.64 KiB) Viewed 814 times
Jo-Ann's Fabrics 2"x3" (odd size) roof over Arbors from same, the pillars are DF-
Hut 02.jpg
Hut 02.jpg (118.96 KiB) Viewed 814 times
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

bernyleung
Ogre
Ogre

Post by bernyleung » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:45 pm

An easy addition to CBS to get what you need for medieval or pre-medieval look would be thatched roofs and maybe wooden shingle roofs. A new wall design would be simple wooden board walls, or shiplap.

If thatch roofs can be done in 4" diameter half-round and 2" V sections, that will allow you do small round huts, racetrack-style, or quadrilateral.

A 4" round roof over KS1 curved stone walls works fine as well. Just need to work in a small door.

lostpict
Ogre
Ogre

Post by lostpict » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:49 am

I went to the Jorvik site (reconstructed 10th century Viking settlement under York, UK) in 2001 and was surprised at the modernity of the Viking buildings from the 900s. Here is a youtube video showing the exhibit highlights: https://youtu.be/IJ976COvE3I

I came home and made my own: https://www.flickr.com/photos/9975128@N ... 154986701/

You could also model these kind of buildings with CBS and a few new editions - 1" wide dirt alleys, thatched roofs, vertical batten walls (in addition to the timber frame "tudor" walls), and a Tudor Advanced Builder set.
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

James Paladin of Valoria
Kobold
Kobold

Post by James Paladin of Valoria » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:01 am

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:25 am
we think that a generic Barbarian term could be used for a more primitive environment than CBS.

We are seeing circular wooden buildings with straw hat roofs. Where you could have racetrack shaped bigger buildings, two halves of a circular building with straight walls in between and central V shaped roof.
Sort of 6" round towers made of wood - which could also be used for a fortification.

Whilst not necessarily CBS compatible - though the straight walls and V shaped roofs could be.
I would have never thought about the circular buildings. Now that you bring it up I think that would work nicely. Small round huts, longer ovals that could be utilized for mead halls, chieftains lodge, barracks. Something like that would look great in that wilderness setting :D
Paladin Lawful Good NOT Lawful Nice

Rabbit Burner
Orc
Orc

Post by Rabbit Burner » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:25 am

we think that a generic Barbarian term could be used for a more primitive environment than CBS.

We are seeing circular wooden buildings with straw hat roofs. Where you could have racetrack shaped bigger buildings, two halves of a circular building with straight walls in between and central V shaped roof.
Sort of 6" round towers made of wood - which could also be used for a fortification.

Whilst not necessarily CBS compatible - though the straight walls and V shaped roofs could be.
I am the Game and I want to Play

James Paladin of Valoria
Kobold
Kobold

Post by James Paladin of Valoria » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:50 am

Fair enough, but I see that as the point, not the problem. By leaving it open and varied, I get to see what everyone else prefers. Instead of my own view of what I would like to have, I get to see what others would like to see added. I might be so hung up on a specific piece, that I don't think about a certain style that you bring to the discussion. While we are trying to narrow down a specific time period and architectural style, someone else comes in with a completely different idea, but one that would fill the need of what I'm looking for.

I'm not asking what does everyone think about having a ninth century, Scandinavian viking village with gaul influances. I'm simply saying I would like to see something with this type of theme, what would y'all like to see, and let's brainstorm some ideas. I'm not wanting to be specific, or historically accurate. Let's be creative and combine cultures to make something unique to Mythras.

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:15 am

That’s the problem... when you ask for a general opinion about the widely varied architecture of a culture that spanned hundreds of years and several countries without some kind of specifics, you are potentially asking many different people many different questions, because the reference example in their heads isn’t the same as the reference example in your head.

I think that if enough time could be devoted to development, DF could come up with basic wooden frame building pieces that could be dressed with accessories to evoke a few different architectural and cultural motifs.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

James Paladin of Valoria
Kobold
Kobold

Post by James Paladin of Valoria » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:56 am

If I had to give a specific reference, i suppose something you would find in the Skyrim video game, or Rohan in the Lord of the Rings. I was just generalizing. I like the full timber buildings, ornately carved beams and posts. The overturned longship with the post braces instead of the sod covered buildings. More importantly, I just want something that says barbaric as opposed to civilized. I see CBS and think clean cities. I see a Viking village and think wilderness, roughing it, etc.

I was just looking for general ideas and opinions.

I think if done correctly it could be a stand alone set, but also be used in tandem with any of the other sets that have been made. It could be combined with a wilderness set as an add on possibly.

I apologize for a lack of detail, or not explaining clearly enough. I didn't have a particular time period in mind, just wondering what the general feel would be for a theme centered around that style. It can always be refined as needed.

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:01 am

For simplicity’s sake, I encourage the use of real-world terms and references until such time as DF has created and labeled their versions of various architectural styles and cultural/historic stand-ins.

James, it’s clear you have an idea of what Viking buildings look like, but that is not conveyed in your posts. A quick Google search will bring up images of at least a dozen different historical versions of a Viking longhouse. Do you have a specific reference (historical or cinematic) in mind?

I’m also not clear on whether you want a new City Builder Set or something that can stand alone like a Castle set or a classic Medieval Builder Set.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch