Grendel and Ainsty Sci-Fi accessories discussion

Orc
Orc

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:20 pm

Rabidfox wrote:

Because of the wonderful Dwarven Forge sale, I will be cutting back severely on my part of the Ainsty order, but I will still be ordering a few items.
Sorry, I do not have unlimited funds.
All of the items I will be ordering have pertinence to the comparison between Grendel and Ainsty though.
No worries on the comparison then.

I’m hearing you brother! Talk about bargain basement! What’s troubling me the most is you guys know I’m always on the lookout for bargain DF from the locals, and one day before DF decided to have the little Blowout I made an agreement with the local store owner for his last three Sci-Fi starters at his cost. I don’t know the price because he was on his way to a Trade Show in Vegas and said we would do the deal once he returns at the beginning of next week. But I know it’s not going to be that nice $25 dollar price tag, it’s hard to beat %50 off. I am a man of honor and shook on the deal so I’ll stick to it, but I will bring up the sale on the DF site. Maybe soften him up a little. Plus we’ve decide to direct a few bucks towards this little sale regardless. It’s just too hard to pass up.

He went off to THE trade show IO - GAMA.
Four days of seeing the latest and greatest and the soon to be released.
Plus, lots of great advice on stores, clubs and gaming in general.
Here is the link to the activities @ Gama this week:
http://www.gama.org/index.pl/gts
They even let clubs attend now, not just the store owners and manufacturers.
I have heard that the fee for a club to attend is astronomical though.

Anyway, good luck on presuading him lower on the price.
It is great to hear of someone who will stand by a handshake agreement these days.

My order I plan to do to DF is really hurting my Ainsty order.
I am planning now to unload about $500US (cannot pass up new MM at 50% off) to DF so I am reeling in a good part of my part of the Ainsty order to only about 125£ before S&H.

I’ve been cursing around the Ainsty site again and in the “future� plan on buying a few of their Sci-Fi pieces to round out the Grendel stuff. My favorite is the “Spacesuit-Rack�

Come on IO, be honest, you just like the four German babes standing by the racks.
HAhaHAhaHA.
I have cut those racks from my order because I am wanting other things worse.
You will have to show them off to the rest of us.

You have been "cursing" Ainsty's page IO.
I thought voodoo was more the thing in Louisiana IO instead of Florida.
I take it that it should have been "cruising" IO.

One thing Rabid, I’ve only placed one order from Ainsty in the past so this may just be a fluke. I remember ordering the stuff and it took months to arrive, so long in fact I had almost forgotten about it. That doesn’t mean it didn’t arrive and that’s the most important thing. So we’ll be ordering again, the stuff is top notch. Just possibly be prepared for a bit of a wait. Maybe you could pull a few Industry strings for a good-discount and rush-delivery.

You must have ordered either just after a major con like Salute, which by the way is on 23 April this year, or during the Holiday Season which starts in about September for overseas sales.

Actually, I have developed a decent relationship with Mike so I do not think I will have any unusual problems.
Mike knows he will get a flood of messages from me if the stuff does not show up in a fairly timely fashion.

As far as pulling "Industry" strings IO, I do not have many anymore really.
I left the industry back in 1998 as far as manufacturing and have just kept watch on the shoppes in the three areas I have lived in since.
I got a sweet deal in the private sector so I left the industry.

I still get most of the professional periodicals just to keep up with what is going on a bit, but not much past that.
I have kept some of the friendships still alive, but I do not have access to brand new items to trade off for their brand new items like I used to.
Some folks in the industry went to cons like GenCon and went home with a lot of stuff they did not make.
One of our computer guys back in 1997 went with us to GenCon and returned with a 21 inch stack just of White Wolf stuff he had traded for.
I usually only went home with just a few items; I always seemed too busy or not have the right things to trade for a whole lot of stuff.

Anyway, this next while looks to be quite fun with all of the terrain we all will be ordering.

Orc
Orc

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:35 pm

Rabid Fox,

Thanks for the Info... Although I have been Gaming for a Very Long time, and Collecting odd
bits and Pieces of this and that along the way, until Recently (Say the Last Decade), I had never
really stayed in one place long enough to develope those sorts of relationships with the Stores
themselves... (Now, as previously stated, I am in something of a Game Store Vacuum)... It is
interesting however to watch the Changes over the Years in terms of the Multitude of "Spin-off"
Hobbies, but I suppose at the Core is the Simple truth that RPG's are in fact Spin-offs of
Wargaming even if Many are to young to realize it So in some way perhaps things are coming
full circle and RPG's will have to be Supported as a side note to the Overall Gaming
Phenomena... Even So I would Love to See the Glory days of Full Blown RPG Support
return!

What is funny is that for folks back in the 70s to do anything in Sci-Fi, they had to role play.
Did not the original Traveler RPG start back in 1976?
I know the first issue of White Dwarf Magazine was published in 1977 and was talking about SF
RPGs mostly.
I think my first issue of WD was #32. Where are they now? 300 something.
I stopped my WD sub in the 220s; GW was going places I did not want to go.
FASA hit the streets in 1981.
Their BattleDroids, which became BattleTech after a serious note from George Lucas' lawyer,
only came out in 1985.
I believe that was the first solid miniature wargaming sci-fi to come out.
TSR came out with 1st Ed. Star Frontiers in that early period.
Anyone know when exactly? I do not remember.
How about Starguard 1st edition? That has been around forever.

Hey, just a thought, but can anyone remember that wargame that used stuffed animals instead of
miniatures?
My elder son was looking to acquire a copy of the game.

Anyway, no manufacturer was willing to produce figures for what they thought was a temporary
fluke phenomenon - science fiction.
Most companies thought it would go back to the obscure side of the market like it had been for
the last 90 years before.
They thought Star Wars, then Battlestar Galactica and Buck Rogers would just falter and go no
where like Star Trek: TOS and Space 1999 were apparently doing.
What a laugh, right?

The manufacturers felt only the Second World War and like subjects had any enduring market
share.
I wonder what those folks say now.

I also wonder how many gamers here even played with the HO/OO Airfix soldiers.
Then again, how many are old enough to even remember those plastic figures.
That is where a lot of the 40-something gamers got their start with gaming.

Anyway, I guess that is all the reminiscing for this evening.
Have a great day!

invincibleoverlord
Orc
Orc

Post by invincibleoverlord » Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:31 pm

Rabidfox wrote:

Because of the wonderful Dwarven Forge sale, I will be cutting back severely on my part of the Ainsty order, but I will still be ordering a few items.
All of the items I will be ordering have pertinence to the comparison between Grendel and Ainsty though.

I’m hearing you brother! Talk about bargain basement! What’s troubling me the most is you guys know I’m always on the lookout for bargain DF from the locals, and one day before DF decided to have the little Blowout I made an agreement with the local store owner for his last three Sci-Fi starters at his cost. I don’t know the price because he was on his way to a Trade Show in Vegas and said we would do the deal once he returns at the beginning of next week. But I know it’s not going to be that nice $25 dollar price tag, it’s hard to beat %50 off. I am a man of honor and shook on the deal so I’ll stick to it, but I will bring up the sale on the DF site. Maybe soften him up a little. Plus we’ve decide to direct a few bucks towards this little sale regardless. It’s just too hard to pass up.

I’ve been cursing around the Ainsty site again and in the “future� plan on buying a few of their Sci-Fi pieces to round out the Grendel stuff. My favorite is the “Spacesuit-Rack�

One thing Rabid, I’ve only placed one order from Ainsty in the past so this may just be a fluke. I remember ordering the stuff and it took months to arrive, so long in fact I had almost forgotten about it. That doesn’t mean it didn’t arrive and that’s the most important thing. So we’ll be ordering again, the stuff is top notch. Just possibly be prepared for a bit of a wait. Maybe you could pull a few Industry strings for a good-discount and rush-delivery.

MLV wrote:

Wow! Nicely done... (Again), those Pieces really look Great. I am particularly impressed with the Detailing on the Doors, they are tieing in very well with the DF... Also your terrific Work on the Various "Room" pieces would make Emirill Proud... "Kick it up another Notch!!!!"...... So what are you folks going to use them for? I see Space Marines, but what System are you Going to be actually running? 40K Tactical Stuff, RPG Stuff Etc? And Again this is such a testiment to how Versatile DF is when used with other Terrain...

"Doing my best Groucho Marks impression" Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you, I try my best". One note; those camo Space Marines, Shawn another member of the core-crew painted, he has a whole army of them, excellent player and painter. As for “Tieing the pieces in with the DF� it’s really simple the Red does it all.

So what are you folks going to use them for?

Star Wars is the name of the game! Shawn, again, has every and I mean every SW RPG sorcebook to date, and is so well read in the SW Universe it’s insane. He’s planning on running a Rebel ERA campaign for us. Which leads me to the other nice little barging I got from the game store the other day. 42 cases of the Rebel Storm for $4 bucks each, now we have no idea what’s in those packs until we receive them, but we are not in it for the collecting obviously we’re just looking for numbers of individual types, Storm Trooper’s, Rebel Guard, etc. The rest we will use as trade to acquire the desired amounts.

Thats the plan for now, but I'm sure in the future there will be many other uses for the Sci-Fi stuff.

MyLordVoid
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by MyLordVoid » Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:39 pm

Rabid Fox,

Thanks for the Info... Although I have been Gaming for a Very Long time, and Collecting odd bits and Pieces of this and that along the way, until Recently (Say the Last Decade), I had never really stayed in one place long enough to develope those sorts of relationships with the Stores themselves... (Now, as previously stated, I am in something of a Game Store Vacum)... It is interesting however to watch the Changes over the Years in terms of the Multitude of "Spin-off" Hobbies, but I suppose at the Core is the Simple truth that RPG's are in fact Spin-offs of Wargaming even if Many are to young to realize it So in some way perhaps things are coming full circle and RPG's will have to be Supported as a side note to the Overall Gaming Phenomena... Even So I would Love to See the Glory days of Full Blown RPG Support return!

IO,

Wow! Nicely done... (Again), those Pieces really look Great. I am particularly impressed with the Detailing on the Doors, they are tieing in very well with the DF... Also your terrific Work on the Various "Room" pieces would make Emirill Proud... "Kick it up another Notch!!!!"...... So what are you folks going to use them for? I see Space Marines, but what System are you Going to be actually running? 40K Tactical Stuff, RPG Stuff Etc? And Again this is such a testiment to how Versatile DF is when used with other Terrain...

Orc
Orc

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:28 am

Update:

Thought you all should know now so that there would not be any concerns later.

Have a great day!

Orc
Orc

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:06 pm

"Looks to the post above" :rolleyes: . The boys got knowledge :D .

Thanks for the info Rabid.

One thing, I've never seen the "Kryomek" blisters. are they the same as the Grendel and Leviathan molds? just differen't Packaging/Blister Cards?

Thank you for the compliment.
It is called being in miniature wargaming for over 30 years.
A lot of folks got into gaming back in the 70s, but it was RPGs and they got in only as gamers.
They did not get into the business at all and have not been able to watch the ebb and flow of the gaming world as I have.
Boy, what a motion picture it has been too!

Kryomek is a miniature wargame that has been around a good while.
It has been both an independent company and a part of Grendel.
Lately, it has been part of the pieces of Grendel's body around the world.
In the UK Grendel washed up into Scotia.
In the US it appears to have been picked up by SimTac.
One problem, SimTac appears to have gone belly-up, but also appears to not have.
Officially, SimTac went out of business 1 Jan. 2004, but then Kryomek USA came into existence 1 July, 2004.
The funny is that they are within miles of each other in CT.
Here is the WEB page:
http://www.kryomek.com/index.asp
There are very few pictures in the terrain section.
Anyone here brave enough and have the disposable funds enough to order the following terrain items could help us all out a good bit:
Airlock x2, Door x2, Hatch, Cargo Bay Door
Typical spaceship entryways.
KNI-001 Price: $14.95

Computer Banks x2, Holographic Projector
Command and communication equipment that fits with any spaceship or computer center.
KNI-002 Price: $14.95

Navigation, Comm, Tac, and Cmd Consoles
Spaceship or command center equipment.
KNI-003 Price: $14.95

Power Generator, Life Support, Power Regulator
Specialized equipment that is required in alien environments to sustain life.
KNI-004 Price: $14.95

Cryogenic Chambers x6, Cryogenic Controls
Early space flights could take years to arrive at their destinations. Passengers and non-essential crew went into cryogenic sleep until arrival.
KNI-005 Price: $14.95

They may well be the very same items as the Grendel Items y'all picked up from Discount Hobby.
Kryomek USA does have free shipping on orders of $100 or more.
They have some cool looking craters if you are looking to round out the order over $100.

Need to go. Have a great night!

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:38 pm

IO -- great, great, great stuff. Fantastic paint jobs, great pics. Looks like you guys can put together one of the best sci-fi tables ever. The stuff looks really great.

Man, when my recently-ordered SF passage set arrives, not to mention the ROTS merch. blitz starting in April, culminating in more SW minis -- man, I'm going to have to get some of those Grendel sets I'm missing....

L

invincibleoverlord
Orc
Orc

Post by invincibleoverlord » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:12 pm

"Looks to the post above" :rolleyes: . The boys got knowledge :D .

Thanks for the info Rabid.

One thing, I've never seen the "Kryomek" blisters. are they the same as the Grendel and Leviathan molds? just differen't Packaging/Blister Cards?

Orc
Orc

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:31 pm

One more Thing,

When I was boxing up some items in the closet I found some of the Blister Cards from these pieces. Just for reference some of the cards were Grendel, and some were Leviathan? But they were the same pieces. Wasn’t Leviathan out of Scotland? Edinburgh?

It is all Scotia which is based at Hallgreen Castle, Inverbervie, Angus, in Scotland.
Scotia bought up the rights to all of the Grendel, Kryomek and Leviathan figure lines.
Actually, their official name now that they bought the Grendel line is Scotia-Grendel.

Orc
Orc

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:25 pm

Rabid Fox,

Sounds Good... I Do not Know much about Marketing, or about Business Practices in General, So I have nothing with which to Compare it. Except perhaps the One Business in town which IS still open after more than Ten years which IS first and foremost a Comic Store, that primarily Supports the Wargame, and CCG Community. They will Special Order RPG Items, however it is Never a Priority, and they do not Support RPG Sessions in the Store... That having been Said, they have Moved and Changed the Size of the Store several times, but they are Still Going... And You Know... They Made their Initial Stand with the Arrival of the Original Magic The Gathering... And The Only Time I have Ever Noticed a Sale is When they Need to Change the Size of their Stock (Moving, Expanding or Reducing the size of the Store)... So Where does your Familiarity of the Discussion come from?

Sorry for the delay in answering - got sidetracked.

Experience is from:
*working or volunteering at three game shoppes in three states one of which went out of business because he refused to treat the shoppe as a business,
*from being close friends with four other shoppe owners,
*having watched five other shoppes struggle and die and knowing why,
*having been a customer and gamer at the shoppe that was the showroom at the Armory Distributers which merged with Chessex Distributing to form Alliance Distributing,
*from having worked at one of the major companies in the biz
*and having had close associates at three other major companies in the biz.

Again, sorry for the delay.