Grendel and Ainsty Sci-Fi accessories discussion

RabidFox*
Ogre
Ogre

Post by RabidFox* » Mon May 16, 2005 12:14 am

Rabid Fox,

Does This Have to do with the Recent Announcement of the Latest Post Closings? If so Do You Have the Kind of Senority/ Job Security to Get Transferred? Good Luck to You and Lady Fox Either Way... And Of Course Post Pics as You Get'em......

"Lady Fox" goes by "Ragamuffin".
Do not ask; it has to do with a group of nicknames my father-in-law gave his children.
I have never received a straight explanation that made sense; I guess you had to be there.

It does indeed have to do with BRAC 2005.
Where I am currented posted is not on-post or even in the same state, but I am on TDY from a BRAC 2005 targetted facility.
So now, the entire DOD with all its many arms plus all civilians in off-base-reliant businesses, are on pins and needles at the very least, waiting for BRAC 2005 to be resolved.

I have some seniority, but that does not really count for much when it comes to a BRAC closure.
Generals can even lose their "jobs" with BRAC closures and they most certainly have a good bit of seniority.
Due to my skill set and prior MOS I do have some good security that way, but this transition from cold communist national army warfare to warm multi-national non-national-military warfare has left a few folks who hate change out in the cold.
The whole framework of force projection & deployment is changing and there are some brass and their sycophants, who refuse to change, who are the ones who definitely are going to be losing their jobs, pending the cashing out of favors they are owed.
It is folks like these with their sly inuendos and their "unnamed Pentagon sources" that are giving Secretary Rumsfield such a hard time and such bad press.
Fortunately, for the frontline soldier, these brassy lack wits are in their late 50s as far as an age average; in other words, on their way out soon and their sycophants can hopefully be re-trained into useful servicepeople.
Thank goodness!!

My family has gone into partial pack-up mode already just in case MLV.
My wife wants to take advantage of this possible transfer to look for new quarters locally anyway.
At about 600 square feet this house is just a bit too small.
She has her eye on some quarters about twice the size with only a $52 increase in our housing costs.
We will see.

My youngest has only been transferred twice so transfer is still an adventure, but my eldest has a few more under his belt and so it is not looked at as such.
My eldest is just grateful that nothing will truly happen until after school is out here.
So far, he has escaped a mid-school year transfer, unlike myself years ago.
If we suffer from a BRAC closure, I should be able to know fairly quickly and then find transfer to a new assignment by September fairly easily.
My skill set is not overally common, but still quite useful to the DOD in these days of the NEW type of war we have to fight .

MyLordVoid
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by MyLordVoid » Sun May 15, 2005 11:32 am

Rabid Fox,

Does This Have to do with the Recent Announcement of the Latest Post Closings? If so Do You Have the Kind of Senority/ Job Security to Get Transferred? Good Luck to You and Lady Fox Either Way... And Of Course Post Pics as You Get'em......

RabidFox*
Ogre
Ogre

Post by RabidFox* » Wed May 04, 2005 7:17 pm

Sorry, for the delay in getting this order going to Ainsty.
Here we had a few of the guys back out due to a variety of problems.
As for myself, I am currently on an alert notification of a possible post reassignment so I have not made the order as of yet.
I will know for sure whether or not a move will occur until as late as the end of June.
Sorry guys for the additional delay.
Looks like I will be making my own order when I get an opportunity.
I still plan on posting the pics here when the stuff gets here.

MyLordVoid
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by MyLordVoid » Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:22 pm

Law,

I Can see what you mean, the Walls are Pretty Much Even with the Actual DF if they sit upon a DF Height Floor (Guess you Could even just use some Balsa or Clay)?

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:26 am

One more.... One nice thing about the Grendel pieces is they make up for the lack of walls in my SF sets! The big flat floor pieces from the alpha expansion allow me to make really big rooms, but I don't have enough walls to close them off. But with these walls, I have some more options available to me....

L

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:20 am

Here are some of my Grendel attempts -- not as cool as yours, IO, but I'm happy with them. The photos reveal a lot of flaws I see now I need to fix, but I do like the way the bright white tabletops seem to "glow" appropriately....
L

MyLordVoid
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by MyLordVoid » Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:56 pm

Rabid Fox,

G.I. Joe... You Know for Years I used to Say, Wow I Remember When... And would talk about my G.I. Joe Collection (I Was Not Wealthy Either, all of My Toys were either Second Hand from Thrift Stores and Flea-markets or if New, Purchased with Money I earned doing Odd Jobs in my neighborhood)... Then a Few Years ago they Started Releasing some G.I. Joe Toys that Blew The Stuff I had out of the Water, I mean A 1/6th Scale Hum-V? A Huey Cobra? Wow... Not to Mention Fire Trucks and all kinds of other Scale Vehicles... Holy Cow... I mean I never would have been able to afford any of it as a Kid, but it was all I could do to not Break Down and Buy what I could Now......

Anyway, I Traded a lot at School... And Had Some Pretty Kewl Stuff, also My Neighbors had a bunch of the Steve Austin Stuff, and Of Course the Girls had Barbies... :twisted: ... Barbie was Definately a Party-girl... I Also had A Few of the "Best of the West" Figures, Specifically Johnny West and Geronimo, so all of them made up quite a Diverse Fantasy World...

I also had some of the Star Trek 8" figures, (I think they were about 8"), Which were to Scale with the Few Planet of the Apes and Batman and Robbin action Figs I had... None of this stuff was Complete Mind you, but we had a blast with it all anyway... (I remember that the Trek Gear, Phasers, Communicators etc were a really strange Powder Blue Plastic... Never Understood why they were not Black Plastic)... Oh and of Course the ST Bridge Set... (With the Transporter/ Spinner)...

As for Space 1999, I had one of those Kewl Cargo Looking, (Second hand of Course......), Ships with the Detachable Pilot Modual, it was Just a Tiny bit Smaller Scale then my Star Wars Stuff but I used it anyway!

Ok... So all of that Basically to Say I Hear ya on the G.I. Joe... They were a lot of Fun!

Orc
Orc

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:47 pm

Rabid Fox,

As to the HO, 1/82nd,1/76th, and 1/72nd Plastics, Hey I still use 'em... I have 100's everything from Burbers, to Celts to Vikings, to WWII Germans, Italians, French, Japanese, Gurkas, Turks, and of Course Tons of Americans, In the Same Scale I have many Modern Military Troops as well... Many of them have been Altered to create Unique Creatures, Cyborgs etc... But You Know there really was never much Sci-Fi... I Have some Dr. Who Miniatures which are roughly 1/72nd, and Of Course there are some Japanese toys out there with similatly scaled Near Future... For a While you Could Get 1/72nd scale Twilight 2000 Pewter Minis, So I have some Kewl Dark Future/Near Future/Cyber-punk Guys in Metal... Also a Few Boot Hill Figs that are Generic enough to Fit into most any Sci-Fi Setting...

I have all of mine as well plus the 54mm ones we all grew up with from TeeMee Toys.
I have nearly every soldier I received or bought since age 3 and that is almost forty years ago.

Airfix was just that company I loved back in the 70s for figures in the OO/HO (1/76-1/87) scales.
I would add Hasagawa and Bandai tanks, etc. in 1/72 scale to the mix.
With Airfix you could do the Wild West, Napoleonics, Knights v. Vikings and of course WWII.
For a while they even had WWI figures too, but not a lot of vehicle support.

I never saw metal minis back then that were sci-fi; all I saw were historicals.

As far as using them these days, I do not really.
They are saved away in their units for an unknown future day.
I occasionally take them out and my sons and I lok at them, but that is about it.

Anyway all of that Having been said, My Frindes and I had come up with some really simple Combat rules for using Star Wars Figures (The Originals), in Skirmish like Games... We would Set up out side and Build Forts for them, then Use D6 from Monopoly Games or Whatever, to try to hit, and for Scatter effects... But if You Got a Hit then You Got to take Aim with the BB Gun... Grenades and Mortars worked With Handfuls of Pebbles, and Rockets and Heavy Weapons Gave you the Chance to Take a Shovel full of Dirt and Fling it at the Enemy... We would take Turns, Attacking and Deffending... Kind of Juvenile I Suppose, but it Occupied us for Hours... I Guess we used "Micro Men", "Metal Men" and "Men of Action" Figures as well... Sure wish I still had that stuff...

What I played the most with were those plastic figures and then the original 14" G.I.Joe men.
I was the poor kid in my school, but even I had five or six of those dolls.
Between us, we had every set and Joe plus some other stuff.
I, for one Christmas, received a Willys Jeep that another company made for the Joes.
The big slide at school and it did not get along.
On the third run down the slide, the Jeep broke an axle.
I was REALLY bummed.
A couple weeks later, I found a Barbie Jeep at the local thrift shop, repainted it and then used it.
The sad thing was that it was built more ruggedly than the one made for the Joes.
It could take the slide no problem.
I learned my lesson; buy and then modify Barbie vehicles.
I next modified a Barbie corvette for a staff car.

I lost a lot of models that died from heavy bombardment (aka rocks as bombs).
I had a battlestar fleet that only one survived all of the heavy play.
Then again I do not have any surviving base stars.

I lost several 1/48 scale model tanks to such play as well.

Growing up the son of a sergeant-major I was just really heavily into war toys.
I did not get into police items at all until the original SWAT series.
I thought they were cool because they were like all of soldiers.
I ended picking up a few items from this show for my fighting force.

MyLordVoid
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by MyLordVoid » Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:14 pm

Rabid Fox,

Yes Star Frontiers Came out in 1982, (Still have my Original Game somewhere)... Not a Bad Game over all, I would actually Enjoy Seeing a d20 version in fact... Here is a Site that has a lot of Star Frontiers Info:

http://www.starfrontiers.org

As to the HO, 1/82nd,1/76th, and 1/72nd Plastics, Hey I still use 'em... I have 100's everything from Burbers, to Celts to Vikings, to WWII Germans, Italians, French, Japanese, Gurkas, Turks, and of Course Tons of Americans, In the Same Scale I have many Modern Military Troops as well... Many of them have been Altered to create Unique Creatures, Cyborgs etc... But You Know there really was never much Sci-Fi... I Have some Dr. Who Miniatures which are roughly 1/72nd, and Of Course there are some Japanese toys out there with similatly scaled Near Future... For a While you Could Get 1/72nd scale Twilight 2000 Pewter Minis, So I have some Kewl Dark Future/Near Future/Cyber-punk Guys in Metal... Also a Few Boot Hill Figs that are Generic enough to Fit into most any Sci-Fi Setting...

Anyway all of that Having been said, My Frindes and I had come up with some really simple Combat rules for using Star Wars Figures (The Originals), in Skirmish like Games... We would Set up out side and Build Forts for them, then Use D6 from Monopoly Games or Whatever, to try to hit, and for Scatter effects... But if You Got a Hit then You Got to take Aim with the BB Gun... Grenades and Mortars worked With Handfuls of Pebbles, and Rockets and Heavy Weapons Gave you the Chance to Take a Shovel full of Dirt and Fling it at the Enemy... We would take Turns, Attacking and Deffending... Kind of Juvenile I Suppose, but it Occupied us for Hours... I Guess we used "Micro Men", "Metal Men" and "Men of Action" Figures as well... Sure wish I still had that stuff...

KenM
Orc
Orc

Post by KenM » Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:45 am

If I remember right, Star Frontiers came out in 1982- 83.