The Future of (DF) Sci-Fi

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: The Future of (DF) Sci-Fi

Post by LordDust » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:32 am

I am not the primary audience for this, but my two cents is that I would want it to be less gritty. If it looks shiny and new, that works for a mess of sci-fi settings. If I need it gritty I can hit it with a wash or dry brush to quickly give it that worn look. It is a lot more work to reverse that look.

I also think that this is a prime area for a bit of LED work. Sliding doors in a fashion not unlike the portcullis from the dungeon line in basic function would also be a good idea. Try to keep the main pieces sufficiently "generically sci-fi" that with accessories they can become fodder for various space operas, more hard sci-fi, science fantasy (I.E. Star Wars). I'd personally probably use it more for anime settings based on my current players than actual standard sci-fi.

If sci-fi gets its own KS and I have funds, I will most likely at least jump in for the pledge that gets stretch goals. If it is part of another it will almost doubtlessly lose out to more fantasy stuff for me.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:21 pm

Uhm... Hello???... Anyone out there????

On Friday Wondy posted a question as to what we would like to see if DF made more Sci Fi:
ShadowSoul wrote:Just a quick question if we were to do a sci fi set what style and what type of things would you like to see?
If we have any hope of ever seeing new DF Sci FI, we will certainly need a more enthusiastic response. Lets generate a little buzz so that they know we want more!
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:49 am

As someone who has some Sci Fi sets, all I would ask is to have them compatible. I don't use my sets that often however.
106 Resin and 145 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:32 pm

The fact that this is even a possibility is exciting to me... I GM only fantasy, but recently got some DF Sci Fi, just because it is gorgeous!

I am not completely familiar with what already exists, but i will start a quick (and not well thought out) list of knee jerk "ohhh, i want a..." stuff

Small circular room, perhaps rotating barrel type door - this could be a cryo chamber, teleporter, decontamination unit, whatever

Contraptions - various sizes to be engines, plasma weapons, scientific apparatus etc. - the sky is the limit - 2x2 up to 4x6 - make them so they can stand alone or next to each other to make bigger contraptions - these can be whatever the story requires them to be

Comms, Computers, Radar type displays - some of these have been done, but you can never have to many

Med Lab - there is always someone hurt, or something to dissect

Lift - a vertical elevator would make for awesome builds

Weapon Station - not high tech, but a turret like on the Millenium Falcon

Tubes - for launching probes/torpedos

OK... there is a good start for some dreaming and schemeing... I am sure i will come up with a ton more while i cook dinner
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

ShadowSoul
Goblin
Goblin

Post by ShadowSoul » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:37 pm

Just a quick question if we were to do a sci fi set what style and what type of things would you like to see?

HeroQuestFrance
Ogre
Ogre

Post by HeroQuestFrance » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:29 pm

Yep.
It is not appearing for international bidders.
So only for the US customers.

Vegomatic
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Vegomatic » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:26 pm

I was just browsing ebay and saw an alpha set was just listed this afternoon. Starting bid is 99 cents. No one has bid yet.

lostpict
Ogre
Ogre

Post by lostpict » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:53 pm

:shock: it sold for north of $300!!! That is 5 times what I laid for my single Beta. AMAZING. :o
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

HeroQuestFrance
Ogre
Ogre

Post by HeroQuestFrance » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:45 am

There is another for 170$ right now. I checked it today.
I hope it won't go further otherwise it is no more interesting.
(yeah if you add postage & package and may be VAT + douan fees)

lostpict
Ogre
Ogre

Post by lostpict » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:45 pm

I agree. Crazy pricing - I did exactly that - bought some DOE and Hellscape instead. Patience will win the day. In general I see lots of crazy prices for DF on e-bay for things that are OOP in the US, but in stock for EU (or vice versa). I just bought a number of the Hellscape specialty pieces from the EU shop and had them shipped to the states for a fraction of the e-bay reserve prices. So some day a 2nd Beta will join my stuff. :D
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com