Hellscape Gate Repair Question

GrumpyOne
Goblin
Goblin

Re: Hellscape Gate Repair Question

Post by GrumpyOne » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:53 pm

pacarat wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:49 pm
I would take some fishing line and tie the two end links together. You'd need an exacto blade or very small scissors to trim the knot ends.
I like that idea, thanks!
"Initial success or total failure"

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:54 pm

GrumpyOne wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:58 pm
jchunick wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:58 pm
There are two ways I'd approach this:
1) If you have a pin drill then use that to drill two small holes a bit apart where you want the chain attached. Bend a piece of wire (paper clip, or pins you may have from pinning miniatures) and bend it into a U shape an then put the chain loop on it and crazy glue both ends of the pin into the tiny holes you drilled.
2) Or, just simply crazy glue the end of the chain back onto the winch...
Thanks Josh.

Not sure how well you can make it out in the top picture however the original link is still there in the winch crank so I don't have to drill new holes.

I was hoping someone had found a way to easily remove the winch crank from its housing however I don't think that is possible (no clue how they manufactured this piece). With one link left of the chain pinned to the winch crank, I guess I will try to make a new loop and use it to attach the loose chain to that one remaining chain piece.
I suspect that the pieces were assembled and glued together which is why they can't be taken apart.
Unless otherwise noted, my views and opinions on this forum are my own and do not, in any way, reflect the views and opinions of Dwarven Forge.

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:52 pm

pacarat wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:49 pm
I would take some fishing line and tie the two end links together. You'd need an exacto blade or very small scissors to trim the knot ends.
That's a good idea.
Unless otherwise noted, my views and opinions on this forum are my own and do not, in any way, reflect the views and opinions of Dwarven Forge.

pacarat
Ogre
Ogre

Post by pacarat » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:49 pm

GrumpyOne
Goblin
Goblin

Post by GrumpyOne » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:36 pm

William wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:19 pm
Decaf...:?:
What is this substance you mention?
It is an evil and vile concoction used when one is old (and not so wise) and has to do intricate work with small implements and they don't want the tremors caused by caffeine to induce errors that cause resin pieces to be catapulted across the room in frustration.

William
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by William » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:19 pm

Decaf...:?:
What is this substance you mention?
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

GrumpyOne
Goblin
Goblin

Post by GrumpyOne » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:58 pm

jchunick wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:58 pm
1) If you have a pin drill then use that to drill two small holes a bit apart where you want the chain attached. Bend a piece of wire (paper clip, or pins you may have from pinning miniatures) and bend it into a U shape an then put the chain loop on it and crazy glue both ends of the pin into the tiny holes you drilled.
2) Or, just simply crazy glue the end of the chain back onto the winch. This works best if you have the gel crazy glue and the spray that instantly hardens it.

*disclaimer: I do not own the Hellscape Gate, but I have studied it before when working on the KS4 gatehouse, and I have never had to repair one, either.
Thanks Josh.

Not sure how well you can make it out in the top picture however the original link is still there in the winch crank so I don't have to drill new holes.

I was hoping someone had found a way to easily remove the winch crank from its housing however I don't think that is possible (no clue how they manufactured this piece). With one link left of the chain pinned to the winch crank, I guess I will try to make a new loop and use it to attach the loose chain to that one remaining chain piece.

Time to dig out the table-mounted magnifying lens and the decaf coffee...

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:58 pm

2) Or, just simply crazy glue the end of the chain back onto the winch. This works best if you have the gel crazy glue and the spray that instantly hardens it.

*disclaimer: I do not own the Hellscape Gate, but I have studied it before when working on the KS4 gatehouse, and I have never had to repair one, either.

GrumpyOne
Goblin
Goblin

Hellscape Gate Repair Question

Post by GrumpyOne » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:43 pm

So I tried searching through over 108,500 posts however I did not see a repair subsection anywhere so decided to post my question here.

Has anyone tried to repair a broken chain on a Hellscape Gate piece? One of my gates has the chain broken right at the winch and I do not see an easy way to remove the winch to repair it.

I realize I can eventually figure something out and the piece is very useable without a repair however I was looking to see if anyone has already dealt with this issue.

IMG_0333 2.jpg
IMG_0333 2.jpg (65.9 KiB) Viewed 1656 times
IMG_0334 2.jpg
IMG_0334 2.jpg (100.91 KiB) Viewed 1656 times