Surprise/Lucky Find!

Vegomatic
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Surprise/Lucky Find!

Post by Vegomatic » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:08 am

kitenerd wrote:OK... i wouldn't forget i owned that!!!!!

awesome treasure trove = i want to dig through your basement ;)
I didn't think I had even heard of Dwarven Forge until Kick Starter 3. Apparently I owned a few accessories and didn't realize it.

Over a period of 10 years (15-25 years ago) I was collecting Grenadier miniatures and would buy huge lots of miscellaneous minis just to get one or two particular figure(s). I would guess that these were a byproduct of some of those large purchases.

As to the remaining boxes... not expecting there to be any more DF stuff (of course I didn't expect to find these) as I did not normally delve into the realm of plastics and resin, but I am confident there will be many other treasures unboxed in the near future.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:15 am

OK... i wouldn't forget i owned that!!!!!

awesome treasure trove = i want to dig through your basement ;)
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Vegomatic
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Vegomatic » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:48 am

Another "lucky" find in my old collection! (and some not so lucky)

It really is fun to go through all these old boxes that have been in storage for nearly 15 years. Back when I collected, I was focused on Grenadier... I have lots of duplicates... over 40 dragons so far and I am only about 1/3 of the way through.

The last couple of nights have been spent with boxes 6 and 7 of about 20.

Lets talk about the "not so lucky" first. Box 6 was full of minis in their original blister packs! However, multiple instances of moving and storage has not been good to them. Several of the blisters had come loose from their cardboard backing and many of the cardboard backs have been dinged and/or bent pretty badly. The worst part is that most of the oldest ones that are truly made of lead have been hit with a severe case of lead rot. :-( So 15 - 20% of that box is basically trash. They were mostly old Citadel and some Nick Lund minis. I may try opening a couple that are less blemished and seeing what happens with a long soak in a baking soda bath to neutralize the decay and then clean them and prime them. But I don't have much hope... <sigh>

Now the "lucky" part. Box 7 contained five of the Chessex miniature boxes. I lifted them out one at a time... one was super heavy and one felt empty. The others felt about like they should if they had minis in them. The three regular weight ones had lots of old minis... many painted... nothing really unusual. The super heavy box was jam packed (with no padding) with literally a couple of hundred loose minis (all in nearly perfect shape! Only a few bent swords, and one angel is missing her wings). Over 150 of them were Reaper minis (most of which have been out of production for years, but are still in stock at the website) most of the rest were Wizards of the Coast minis from 1999. Nice. The "empty" box was not empty. The first tray contains a full set of the Master Maze Lizardman Tribe set and a full Master Maze Skeleton War Band set.
Lizardmen and Skeletons.jpg
Lizardmen and Skeletons.jpg (439.85 KiB) Viewed 3457 times
The lizardmen appear to be in perfect condition. Two of the skeletons have both arms broken (one with a sword and shield and one with a polearm). Not sure how to fix them...

The second tray contained Orcs. It looks like full Orc War Band, Orc Raiding Party, and Orcs with Hand Weapons sets. 26 orcs in all.
Orcs.jpg
Orcs.jpg (401.21 KiB) Viewed 3457 times
One archer has a broken arm and three other archers have lost their arrows (which are in the box with them).
:D

lostpict
Ogre
Ogre

Post by lostpict » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:27 pm

I had a similar experience on The Miniatures Page a couple of years before KSI launched. I bought 3 sets of the resin dungeon stuff for about $100 including shipping.
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

Arcarius2001
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Arcarius2001 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:43 pm

Here's the best thing that ever happened to me re a big DF score:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=4557

NinjaMeesta
Orc
Orc

Post by NinjaMeesta » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:08 pm

Awesome!
I love Grenadier as well, and have a very tiny colllection (I started on dragons at one point.)
Such beautiful sculpts! There's a reason why Julie Guthrie & Sandra Garrity are my faves.

So +1 for Grenadier!

;)

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:08 am

Vegomatic wrote: I hope to get to Gen Con one day... Thanks for the tip!
Ooohh... nice find on the minis!
One of the Thunderbolt Mountain minis I found is the Mermaid on Seashell Box.
I've seen that one a couple times, they did make some nice diorama type figures. If you need Gen Con related info ask on the forums or message me. There are a few con veterans floating around. I actually live in Indiana, North of Indianapolis. There are actually some decent things for a family vacation here too, so you can start off with that and lead into the con if you have family you want to vacation with.

They also offer volunteering opportunities (which I recommend waiting til a second visit for) that can get your badge paid and eventually badge and hotel after a couple years in.

Vegomatic
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Vegomatic » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:41 pm

Audles wrote:Whoa! Awesome find! Good luck with those other boxes!
Thanks! Life is busy, so it will be slow going... too many things going on at once.
Mydienon wrote:Let me know if you need any help unpacking some boxes... ;-)
Come to Kansas City!
LordDust wrote:One of the years I went to Gen Con someone was unloading their entire metal mini collection in the auction store. Many people were not patient enough to pick through the individually and small set baggied mess in several small cardboard boxes. I got a mess of metal minis, many of them out of print, for a very good price. Less than a dollar a piece! One of the finds was the Thunderbolt Mountain mermaid family diorama with the large base, mirror, mermaid girl, merman boy, and an adult mermaid. I also got several barkeeps and tavern staff, a circus crew (they're still in print, but I've only seen them individually rather than as sets), some demons, a few knights and horses, a slaver and a random mess of others. I highly recommend using the Gen Con auction store if you go to the con, both for unloading anything you want to move quickly and for finding all kinds of reasonably priced goodies!
I hope to get to Gen Con one day... Thanks for the tip!
Ooohh... nice find on the minis!
One of the Thunderbolt Mountain minis I found is the Mermaid on Seashell Box.
AnimeSensei wrote:I bought a DF treasure set (armor, weapons, chest, coin piles, etc) off of ebay a few years back for about $25 when I was waiting for KS1 to arrive. Didn't realize how good of a deal I got until I started looking into resin.

Cool story!
Very Nice! and Thanks!

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:31 pm

I bought a DF treasure set (armor, weapons, chest, coin piles, etc) off of ebay a few years back for about $25 when I was waiting for KS1 to arrive. Didn't realize how good of a deal I got until I started looking into resin.

Cool story!
106 Resin and 145 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:02 pm

One of the years I went to Gen Con someone was unloading their entire metal mini collection in the auction store. Many people were not patient enough to pick through the individually and small set baggied mess in several small cardboard boxes. I got a mess of metal minis, many of them out of print, for a very good price. Less than a dollar a piece! One of the finds was the Thunderbolt Mountain mermaid family diorama with the large base, mirror, mermaid girl, merman boy, and an adult mermaid. I also got several barkeeps and tavern staff, a circus crew (they're still in print, but I've only seen them individually rather than as sets), some demons, a few knights and horses, a slaver and a random mess of others. I highly recommend using the Gen Con auction store if you go to the con, both for unloading anything you want to move quickly and for finding all kinds of reasonably priced goodies!