Ice Caverns

Runeweaver
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Ice Caverns

Post by Runeweaver » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:38 pm

Wow, guess I'm the only one that likes the effect! That is unless it truly is liquid and rolls out. I think it looks pretty cool.

Mydienon
Orc
Orc

Post by Mydienon » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:34 am

I would maybe try a very thin watered-down light blue wash, or maybe a translucent white paint glaze.

Actually, if I owned the set I'd probably not mess with it. In a fantasy setting, there are all sorts of reasons (other than pee) for why a yellowish film might appear in a water/ice puddle in a glacial cavern. Maybe it's an ancient fungus or ooze that has recently escaped its frozen prison. Maybe it's the after-effect of a spell or other magic. Maybe something yellowish was dragged through the puddle by a creature. Maybe the soil mixed in with the ice and rock has a high sulfur content.

By the way, you can add that Ice Caverns set to the list of sets I'd like to buy from you... :-D

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:32 am

Water Effects is a brand name. It is not what you want for this application. StillWater and Water Gloss from Scenic Express and Realistic Water from Woodland Scenics are products I recommend.Not this time. The yellow clear resin may out gas. If so it will ruin the effect.
I tried Triple Thick. A thin paint on coat over a base color works better than trying to pour it. Modge Podge is a thinner version of triple thick.Too thick it will never dry.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:13 am

I don't think you will have much luck removing the yellowing clear resin. Adding a different clear resin product may react with the old resin and cause some unexpected different disaster.

The safe thing would be to repaint it. Dark blue or black for deep dark water. True blue or Ultramarine if you like that better. Use a paint on gloss.
If you want to be bold paint the blue with a crackle product and paint white over it.It will look like cracked ice. Experiment first.

You could use gloss paint. I think it might be difficult because some gloss colors do not cover well.White can be difficult because some brands are semi transparent.Delta Cream coat opaque white is the best bet for one coat coverage. Test and practice a few times if you use a crackle product.They all seem to be slightly different.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:37 am

William wrote:@ Kitenerd - :lol:
You even made my wife laugh, that was well worth the 994th comment.

@ Anime - :(
I think trying to remove the bad resin would be very detrimental to the rest of the piece. Unless you could heat and melt it out. Any solvent would ruin the paint and possibly the other resin. See what happens to the clear (pee) resin by placing the piece next to a 75 to 100 watt light bulb. My Tripple Thick pieces soften when warm, maybe the resin might too? I think youo should paint over the yellow surface with white or maybe some add texture first and then pour a bit of new (water effect) over for a new surface. If need be add a new lip to retain new resin/whatever for water/ice. "?"
Good Luck Sir. :|
This would certainly be easier and less likely to cause issues. Even if we knew exactly what the factory used it might not be possible to get a concoction that wouldn't eat into the resin that would still eat the other. Painting on solvent in small quantities to eat that out would take forever and test even my finest moment of patience. The heat is an excellent idea I had not yet considered. If that doesn't work the suggestion to texture, paint, and pour new is another good idea. I'm afraid though there isn't a quick solution unless the heat works really well. If you do decide to experiment, please do share for the edification of the hive mind!

William
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by William » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:56 am

@ Kitenerd - :lol:
You even made my wife laugh, that was well worth the 994th comment.

@ Anime - :(
I think trying to remove the bad resin would be very detrimental to the rest of the piece. Unless you could heat and melt it out. Any solvent would ruin the paint and possibly the other resin. See what happens to the clear (pee) resin by placing the piece next to a 75 to 100 watt light bulb. My Tripple Thick pieces soften when warm, maybe the resin might too? I think youo should paint over the yellow surface with white or maybe some add texture first and then pour a bit of new (water effect) over for a new surface. If need be add a new lip to retain new resin/whatever for water/ice. "?"
Good Luck Sir. :|
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:33 am

PCs: "...all of his white dragons have bladder issues..."
106 Resin and 145 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:17 am

That sounds like a hell of a lot of work... if i were you i would just work up a scenario involving an incontinent white dragon...
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:59 pm

Depending on the composition, it might be possible to carefully dissolve the existing yellowed product and then replace it with a new one that is less likely to yellow. I would expect it would be labor intensive, time intensive, and you would likely have to repaint some. I am also unable to tell you if the solvents that would work would be safe for the resin since I am unsure of the exact composition of either material. Maybe someone else on here can tell you more? Personally, I'm not sure it would be worth it, but I think it is possible.

jls304
Orc
Orc

Post by jls304 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:47 pm

I think this is why dwarven forge probably pulled them all from the store. I originally didn't want a set but now I'd love one to go with my dwarvenite ice caverns. Lets fix the issue and restock these !!!