Is this normal? What can I do?

geekjeff
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Is this normal? What can I do?

Post by geekjeff » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:44 am

If you're thinking white with "snow glitter" I'd give one a try first with just slightly watered PVA glue (aka plain old Elmer's glue) and sprinkle your glitter/flock/etc on there like you're basing a mini.

It should hold fairly well, and if you don't end up liking it can be softened and removed pretty easily with water. A short water soak shouldn't bother the underlying resin or the surrounding lacquer based paints a bit.

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:48 pm

Does anyone make a fine wire brush that would fit in there?
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:26 pm

Extra fine sandpaper could work too.
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:23 pm

nararabbit wrote:Hi Biowizard,

I did let Suzy know about your set as well. They will be checking their other sets for this. My husband and I decided to paint the yellowed clear areas, either white with "snow" glitter, or possibly blood. (Probably the white!) Now to get some Pokorny paints in white, I hear it is the best around..! Any hints for getting the paint to "stick" to the glossy resin? Sanding in such tiny crevices would be quite challenging. I am wondering if a chemical or acid such as lemon juice could do the work...
I would probably try to gently rough it a bit with a dremel on low speed. If you aren't used to using one practice a bit on something less dear first. That should be a quick and relatively easy way to rough the surface a wee bit. Otherwise you could use a resin and paint friendly adhesive over it in a thin layer almost like a primer.

nararabbit
Goblin
Goblin

Post by nararabbit » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:48 pm

Hi Biowizard,

I did let Suzy know about your set as well. They will be checking their other sets for this. My husband and I decided to paint the yellowed clear areas, either white with "snow" glitter, or possibly blood. (Probably the white!) Now to get some Pokorny paints in white, I hear it is the best around..! Any hints for getting the paint to "stick" to the glossy resin? Sanding in such tiny crevices would be quite challenging. I am wondering if a chemical or acid such as lemon juice could do the work...

biowizard
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by biowizard » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:02 pm

My Ice Cavern Resin Set also turned yellow, the parts with the deepest clear resin recesses. I'm pointing it out not because I want to have my Set replaced but as I suspect that most if not all Cavern resin Set probably behaved this way after a few years and DF should know that the factory's choice of clear resin brand should/could be adapted in future projects.

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:12 pm

That is odd... that sort of thing in resin is (according to what I understand) usually a chemical reaction triggered by exposure to energy (heat or light typically) or to another chemical. Glad they're helping you out.

dafrca
Ogre
Ogre

Post by dafrca » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:09 pm

nararabbit wrote:Suzy @ Dwarven Forge is helping me now, so we can close this topic. But to answer the original question, it's not normal! :lol:
Glad to hear both that you are being helped and that it is not normal. :D

nararabbit
Goblin
Goblin

Post by nararabbit » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:07 pm

Suzy @ Dwarven Forge is helping me now, so we can close this topic. But to answer the original question, it's not normal! :lol:

nararabbit
Goblin
Goblin

Post by nararabbit » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:01 pm

@Nikdo -

those areas of resin were clear and shiny, presumably to look like either water or icy spots. They've always been shiny. Not tacky or sticky to the touch thankfully.