Is this the typical quality?

thebigteacher
Orc
Orc

Re: Is this the typical quality?

Post by thebigteacher » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:12 pm

Sometimes this happens. When it has happened to me DF has always solved the problem.

eikman

Is this the typical quality?

Post by eikman » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:42 am

When the Caverns Kickstarter was going on, I bought some Master Maze Caverns as my first DF terrain. The designs are really great, but I was surprised to see what the factory had done in some of the finishing work on the lake and river pieces.

The sharp edges on some gaps in the paint suggest the pieces were handled before they dried, or some of the paint was torn off while removing spilled pieces of resin. Either way, a minor problem. I can paint.

A lot of the pieces, like the one below, do not stand level. This is also minor. I can sand off more resin or add supports to repair these pieces, though perhaps it is not what I paid for.
lakeexp_2a.jpg
lakeexp_2a.jpg (276.21 KiB) Viewed 1936 times
I get the impression that workers do a lot of disc sanding on the water pieces to clean up the edges after the translucent resin has dried. Sometimes they're too zealous. The pieces fit poorly and are generally smaller than “dry” cavern tiles.
lakeexp_4a.jpg
lakeexp_4a.jpg (607.21 KiB) Viewed 1936 times
lake_2a.jpg
lake_2a.jpg (435.35 KiB) Viewed 1936 times
That I cannot fix.

I got one of each of the lake and river sets to go with my resin and plastic DF caverns. On all of these three sets I got resin spills, scratch marks, fingerprints, rounded edges, or grit and gaps between the translucent and opaque resins.
river_2a.jpg
river_2a.jpg (285.62 KiB) Viewed 1936 times
river_2b.jpg
river_2b.jpg (340.6 KiB) Viewed 1936 times
lakeexp_1a.jpg
lakeexp_1a.jpg (273.55 KiB) Viewed 1936 times
river_1b.jpg
river_1b.jpg (421.86 KiB) Viewed 1936 times
I also got these tiny bubbles on a couple of pieces. It would look very cool, like escaping gas, if it were used artistically.
lakeexp_3a.jpg
lakeexp_3a.jpg (372.15 KiB) Viewed 1936 times
I sent an email to DF, asking them if my pieces were typical, but there was no response. Should I expect this level of quality?
Always on the lookout for competent role-players in Gothenburg.