Boat Set

Mydienon
Orc
Orc

Re: Boat Set

Post by Mydienon » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:47 am

Hah! Just when we thought it couldn't be done, somebody did it!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/16 ... escription

There you go; modular ships. :-)

(Not Dwarven Forge though, and not fully 3D. I'm not a backer; my brain hasn't processed whether or not I like what's offered...but I have to say, I'm kind of impressed with the idea.)

Runeweaver
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Runeweaver » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:36 pm

Those crafted ships are pretty darn good. Thanks for sharing.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:03 pm

MBA ship. I think they have 3 different sizes now. One larger than this and one smaller.

Scratch built by my friend Fred.

Foam insulation and balsa wood.

Modified toy also converted by Fred. He left them to me when he passed. I have far to many Large ships. I think the small sizes are more practical in games.

I am going to throw my two cents worth in on a two by two section DF ship. Not practical, not cost effective. Use a paper map. DF should concentrate on having Product is stock.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:40 pm

My diagrams are for the ship's deck, which has little or no vertical dimension at all. Any structures built on the deck generally follow the same rules as normal buildings.

Any pieces that represent a below-decks/interior area will, as said before, have to account for the curve of the hull. That not only means means trying to come up with "universal" edges for pieces to fit together, it also means counterbalancing an offset center of gravity. And that's only if you want one deck ("level") above the water line -- I can't imagine trying to come up with something with realistic lines and curves that joins up properly with other pieces at two ends and at the top and bottom!

One solution to the balance issue is to put the hull in the middle of a tile that is half plank decking (inside the ship) and half water (outside the ship) but that introduces a small host of logistical problems at the table. Another solution is to have the curve of the hull come inward as it rises from the water line -- perhaps forming a "C" or "(" shape in cross section -- so that the center of gravity is pushed back toward the flat tile (deck) portion of the piece.

I personally would stick to a flat deck with railings and maybe a small cabin or two on top, but that's me. I would be very pleased and impressed if someone did create a truly modular ship set. (And if my little diagrams did contribute to that, I would probably be insufferable for at least a year.)
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

Crimson_King_of_the_Tower
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Crimson_King_of_the_Tower » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:16 pm

Thanks jackattack I've got the next couple of days off Im going to see if I can't get some more work done on them now that I actually have the room again those drawings are going to help alot

Runeweaver
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Runeweaver » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:45 pm

I'm not convinced that a modular tile building set for a ship would be possible. However, I would absolutely love it if you could prove me wrong and have me eat my avatar (crow). I remember that someone, I forget at the moment, made the Nautilus (20,000 Leagues Under the Sea) out of tiles and it looked flipping awesome! They did a wonderful job capturing the theme and the style of the submarine. So, at least in one aspect, a ship of a type has been constructed. But to make hulls that curve up and out, to have a level above another that has a larger footprint, these tasks seem nearly insurmountable. And then, in someway/somehow make it look as if it is real. DF caverns/dungeons and the like are indeed fully modular; AND give the appearance of immersing yourself into that world. Some set ups are just beautiful. You may be able to make a ship tile functional, but can it be made as aesthetically pleasing as the rest of the DF tiles? That is where the problem lies.

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:35 pm

Here you go. Hope they help.
Attachments
modular ship A.GIF
Port & Starboard Forward pieces, x2 for a canoe hull.
modular ship A.GIF (14.58 KiB) Viewed 5575 times
modular ship B.GIF
Substitute Port & Starboard Aft pieces for a more traditional hull.
modular ship B.GIF (9.13 KiB) Viewed 5575 times
modular ship C.GIF
Straight & Angled Extension pieces allow larger ships.
modular ship C.GIF (17.64 KiB) Viewed 5575 times
modular ship D.GIF
Modular pieces for fantastic shapes.
modular ship D.GIF (9.9 KiB) Viewed 5575 times
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

Crimson_King_of_the_Tower
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Crimson_King_of_the_Tower » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:23 pm

I have actually been working on a modular boat tile set so its really cool to see at least some people are interested in it. Jackattack, I really wanted to see those pictures you mentioned but when I found the post they were in the links were broken and I couldn't view them is there ANY way I could look at those? From the way you described them in the post it sounds awesome

Runeweaver
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Runeweaver » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:34 pm

Renaissance Miniatures look pretty good, and I really missed the boat (pun intended) on not getting in on that kickstarter, but they are also pricy for a wooden model. What I mean by that is that they appear to have some unfinished corners where they are cut out of the thin wood. Gives sharp corners when there should be none. Almost a pixelated appearance if you will. If they weren't too pricey I'd go for it, but for nearly the same cost you can get full on resin models. Their two medium size ships and their large ship though is quite impressive. Even multiple decks that remove, and ship schematics for below waterline. That is a very clever idea, and I really like it. I'm not dismissing these models yet.

The Ainsty models were the ones that I was trying to remember, and thank you Jackattack for pointing me out to them. Those are the ship models that I was looking for. However, you did one step better. The Cog (aka medieval cargo ship) is almost perfect. It is resin. It also doesn't have any cannons. It looks a bit dumpy and ungainly, hardly sea worth (more like river worthy, as I truly don't think it is sea worthy), which is a perfect look. It's price is quite doable as well.

Now I have some decisions to make. I would love a couple of those Cogs, but they would look out of place beside the Ainsty models. The Ainsty models is probably what most people think of when they think of a ship. The cannons are a bit of an issue, but just barely. I've actually thought about introducing gunpowder to D&D, and it is especially possible with 5th edition rules. I could just make it pretty spendy.

I think one of the most beautiful models that I have been eyeing for sometime now is the Miniature Building Authority sloop. Unfortunately they only have one type of model, and if I were to pick up a couple of ships, they would all look the same.

Decision, decisions. At least I have some now. Thank you all.

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:44 pm

Kobblestone sells a "medieval cargo ship".
http://www.kobblestone.ca/catalogue/medieval/index.htm

Ainsty sells some pirate ships.
http://ainstycastings.co.uk/index.php/cPath/63

Old Glory sells a variety of ships and accessories.
http://www.oldgloryminiatures.com/categ ... sp?cat=368

-------------

The problem with modular ships is that you have to (a) match various curved pieces to each other or (b) include odd shapes and/or sizes so that pieces only meet at straight lines (or fantasy inspired junctures). It's probably not insurmountable, but would take a lot of work in development.

The curve-matching problem is compounded if you try to design tiles for interior (below decks) spaces. Ship hulls tend to curve out and up so there is the additional challenge of stacking a larger surface area on top of a smaller surface area. Additionally, a modular ship interior will need hull pieces (which curve upward) and bulkheads (which don't) and hull/bulkhead combinations.