Boat Set

Mydienon
Orc
Orc

Re: Boat Set

Post by Mydienon » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:57 pm

Miniature Building Authority has a few painted boats ready to go out of the box: http://www.miniaturebuildingauthority.c ... =any&scat=

The small wooden boat could be useful for fantasy, historic, and modern settings, as could the longboat with sail -- they seem like they'd be good for a party of adventurers on a short trip, but not a long voyage. I purchased both today so will post again when I've received them.

The Bermuda Sloop is also good choice if your campaign setting has cannon technology (mine doesn't). If yours does, the sloop might make a decent pirate ship.

I like the pictures of Renaissance Miniatures ships, and they seem fairly usable for gaming (not too fragile and figures appear to be accessible). Some are available now -- here is an Asian-style Junk: http://renaissanceminiatures.com/websto ... /?p=E_Junk for $120 plus shipping. If you frequently have ship-based campaigns Renaissance Miniatures also has a fair amount of variety.

I recently picked up DreadFleet: https://boardgamegeek.com/image/1546809 ... size=large. If you don't mind changing scales on an ocean voyage, something like that could work too...

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:23 pm

They're not modular, but Renaissance Miniatures has some nice ship and boat kits that will be available soon. Their stuff seems pretty durable so far; obviously not dwarvenite durable but I wouldn't consider it fragile for the most part.

For model scales, the 1:72 stuff is pretty close, 1:54 to 1:64 are nearly a perfect fit for current minis and I have seen kits in those scales before. The downside to the models kits is that they are usually pretty pricey. My local Hobby Town USA has a clearance section that some historical ships make it into, I have bought a hundred dollar kit for forty bucks from there.

If you want to go super cheap, visit the nearest place that makes custom foam packing and objects to see if they'll let you raid their scrap for free or cheap. Then break out a hot knife and carve a few hulls. Once glued or plastered with a combo of cement and plaster they're passably durable and you can paint them up.

There really are a plethora of options available, but pretty much all are "some assembly required". If you want to just paint and go, it starts to get a little pricey and scarce. If you want ready out of the box pricing is often a bit nasty, especially for bigger boats.

If DF were to do a modular ship line and I liked what you could do with it and the look, I would likely be all in as deep as my pockets could sustain. I'd need something that could at least have a deck cabin and one deck below the top deck. Water line design is what I shoot for generally anyway.

Runeweaver
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Runeweaver » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:27 pm

Bump.

Ships are something that I really am interested in getting onto the gaming table. Old Glory looks quite good, but I have never purchased any of their product before. Anyone else have any experience with them?

Did anyone get in on that Renaissance Miniatures Kickstarter that had all the pirate ships? I'm kicking myself for not getting into that. However, the ships in that are made from wood (good and bad), and I wonder about the durability of the product.

Cody N
Orc
Orc

Re:Boat Set

Post by Cody N » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:38 pm

With the current talk about ships....and the upcoming pirate kickstarter in May... this thread is due for a revival.

Those old Glory Minis are sweet. Anyone here use them?

Kaladhan
Goblin
Goblin

Boat Set

Post by Kaladhan » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:34 am

Thoth... amazing website. Too bad most of their stuff don't have pictures.

Thanks for the link.

jkratzer
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Boat Set

Post by jkratzer » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:38 am

Not bad at all, both quality and prices!
I also looked at the 'Modern' sets for those who are looking at DF and D20 Modern, as well as Sci-Fi stuff. The PBR is the closest to realistic, with the WWII LCVP/Higgins boat right behind it.
I couldn't tell the sizes, though, but if the size is off, they would at least be accurate representations.

RF*; your thoughts, por favor?

See ya!

Jim

THOTH
Orc
Orc

Boat Set

Post by THOTH » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:57 pm

Came accross these boats...

http://www.oldgloryminiatures.com/categ ... sp?cat=368

Galley wars boat in particular seems useful...also dragon boat

http://www.oldgloryminiatures.com/products.asp?cat=389

Old Glory has other minature sets as well - mostly historical - not sure about their quality - pictures on site leave something to be desired...

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Boat Set

Post by jackattack » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:52 pm

I'm aware of the printing services available (the local Kinko's actually keeps their large printers out in the main area of the shop, because there isn't enough room back in the employees only area), but I've never considered the expense to be worthwhile for the kind of gaming I do. Usually, a map is only going to be used for one or two sessions before we move on.

At $14 per square foot, a 2'x2' map will run $56, and a 2'x3' map will run $84. You won't want to mark the thing up with pencils or markers.

I suppose if it were a location we were going to use over and over again, like a base of operations, or the ship the party used to travel the world, then having something of that cost and quality would make sense. Or if it were part of an adventure a GM liked to run at conventions, meaning that the map would see use on lots of occasions for lots of players. But for one or two nights of use, and the ability to write and draw all over it, I'll stick with my home printer and a pair of scissors.

-----------------------------------

I have a copy of Dundjinni, and I am very disappointed with it. The user interface is awkward, it takes forever to load the tiles, and I'm not even terribly impressed with the artwork.

------------------------------------

As far as having actual 3-D ships, the wooden floor molds available from HirstArts have been used to make small boats, and could probably be used to create some fairly nice decks. If anyone does go that route, please post pix in the Cool Photos forum.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

RabidFox*
Ogre
Ogre

Boat Set

Post by RabidFox* » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:39 pm

I don't want to be rude, but if I wanted maps of boats, I would have made them myself with dundjinni. ;)

Sorry, but that is the way the thread had turned.
I do not know if DF will go with such specialized sets any time soon Kaladhan.

Have you (Kaladhan) made boats and ships in Dundjinni?
Dundjinni is the fiction cartography software I have not really enjoyed the demos of when I tried it so I have not bought it ... yet.
Then again, I have complaints as well with both PF's CC and NBOS' FM systems.

Has anyone else here printed out maps on a large format printer?
That is, other than Jim's mylar expeditions.

RabidFox*
Ogre
Ogre

Boat Set

Post by RabidFox* » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:33 pm

Do they still do mylar?
I do not remember any of the folks I spoke to here in the Northern US Rockies saying that they did.