Wishlist for Your KS3 Dwarvenite Civilization

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Wishlist for Your KS3 Dwarvenite Civilization

Post by GODofwar » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:09 pm

Gatorfoam looks great - but its really expensive.

Look, foam is hard to store and degrades - even good foam.

I have my player's parents save me sheets of styro from packing and wrapping, I rarely get 4x8 but then I never USE a 4x8.

I Mad Dog the foam into whatever I need for a game, paint if fast (using waterbased sprays) and it if don't look so good as pro stuff, well, you know what - my players focus on the game and maybe the DwF on TOP of the foam....and afterward, I throw it away unless its a really nice piece. I put the keeper stuff on my slow 5x10 fly board; I can move it to the garage in ten minutes with a full crew of gamers, if I need both 5x10 boards for a game. That's rare - although I am planning a 2-fly board city game when KSIII arrives....anyway, just Mad Dogging the foam is easy and quick using my complete Foam Factory workshop. I can usually do enough terrain for a 5x10 in under three hours, including painting. Since I do keep some pieces, I rarely spend more than 2 hours at most. Saves storage, and the cost is about 1/20 what buying foam costs.

But my standards are lower than most of yours...I'm a gamer, not a painter or modeller. I just paint and model to game. I sure don't meet Sorn's fig standards, or Lady S' terrain standards, or probably any of your overall look standards....

The Least Weasel.
Totus KS Delendum Est
WeaselWarGod

madrigalian
Orc
Orc

Post by madrigalian » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:51 pm

Gatorfoam Foam Boards are a little bit expensive perhaps, but they have worked very well for me. They are very durable and extremely ridged. I have had no trouble with using them for even the heaviest resin set up. They come in black and in multiple sizes at 2" thickness.

http://www.foamboardsource.com/gatorfoa ... rfoam.html

You can see them in use in various pictures of my signature links below.
My DF Galleries -
3dDelve - https://ello.co/3ddelve
Imgur - Thanks zazulu! - http://imgur.com/a/ppUeP/layout/horizontal#0

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Water Based Spray for Foam Bases.

Post by GODofwar » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:52 pm

LordDust wrote:I still think pink foam sheets and spray paint (from enough distance to avoid eating up the foam, of course) make the easiest and cheapest elevation bits. They are also pretty light weight. I'm not sure I'd be looking to spend more money on a less stable and possibly heavier solution when I could spend it on more terrain and minis instead. You can get a huge sheet for about thirty bucks, or more manageable 2ftx2ft sheets for about five bucks. Some Home Depot locations even sell sheets with significant damage to one portion for a steep discount. I got one for half off. I just need to finish my second pass through college so I have more time to craft.
Agree (very late) with Lord Dust. Also, you can buy fairly cheap water-based spray paint that does not 'corrode' the foam. Ace Hardware used to carry it - may still - when my local Ace decided not to carry the water based line I bought so much I'm still working my way through it. If you are as lazy and artless as I am, a base coat of rock color (whatever that means in your situation) with one or two quick green swatches gives a pretty good rock face.

If there are colors you can't get in the water based, you can use a white or black water base, repeat, maybe three times, and a light spray of enamel based paint won't corrode the foam very much or not at all, depending on thickness of your undercoat.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum Est
WeaselWarGod

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:45 pm

Guess i shoulda looked at your location... my bad ;)

Our foam shop is very good about scraps - i have bought big garbage bags full for $10 and you can have a lot of fun with that much foam (i made a crash pad for an exuberant child... 7'x4' giant pillow to dive into, climb under, throw etc.)

i suspect there are lots of industrial uses for the rigid foam and plenty of off cuts available, but finding them could be tricky - glad you are close to the source...

happy creating
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:27 am

kitenerd wrote:Virtually anywhere you live should have a foam shop. Look under upholstery in the phone book (remember those... yellow pages and all that???). Most of this foam will not be rigid, but some of it may work. There are all different densities. Scraps are dirt cheap. If you want to cut the soft stuff (costumes etc.) an electric carving knife is a great cheap way to do it.
Thanks for sharing that info, I hadn't intended to imply they are hard to find and I guess I kind of did give that impression! This particular place is known for letting you grab what you want for free and while the densities vary it is mostly harder foams. I actually live North of Indianapolis and I like to visit Gamerz on the South side now and then anyway, so it isn't an unreasonable drive. I just haven't gotten around to doing it yet! One of the managers/owners of Gamerz told me about it, he's a pretty affable guy and was pretty eager to talk some shop. I like the place well enough I'm tempted to try to convince the wife we should move further south for our next home!

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:40 am

Virtually anywhere you live should have a foam shop. Look under upholstery in the phone book (remember those... yellow pages and all that???). Most of this foam will not be rigid, but some of it may work. There are all different densities. Scraps are dirt cheap. If you want to cut the soft stuff (costumes etc.) an electric carving knife is a great cheap way to do it.
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:54 pm

pacarat wrote:Spray paint will eat blue or pink foam. Use acrylic house paint and a brush - really cheap by the quart, and really really cheap by the gallon
You should look it up on Youtube, there are some excellent videos on the subject there. If you spray from far enough back it will not eat up most foams. There are also sprays made without some of the thinners, like Krylon H20 that will not do it even at close ranges. I would always recommend testing with a few scrap bits first to determine the application range that will not eat the foam. I have also heard that some brands go heavier on the fun stuff that dissolves, so it doesn't evaporate until you're so far away that the application gets prohibitive.

From what I understand, this guy's reasoning on why it works is a little off but his technique is good. Video Here.

pacarat
Ogre
Ogre

Post by pacarat » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:02 pm

Spray paint will eat blue or pink foam. Use acrylic house paint and a brush - really cheap by the quart, and really really cheap by the gallon

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:03 pm

Harneloot wrote:My searching magic is failing me, but some years back someone posted a build with perfect 1" thick black hard foam risers for the DF terrain. Can't remember who it was or what company sold them. Easier than spray painting and cutting pink foam but probably more expensive.
I haven't been yet, but there is a foam company in Southern Indiana that the shop Gamerz raids for foam for their in shop terrain. Apparently, if you ask nicely, they'll just let you go through their scrap bins and take what you want for free. They make a ton of different foams for different customers, so there are often some decent sized and interesting shaped chunks from what I have heard. I plan to make a trip down there, hopefully before Gen Con rolls around again. Some things are just so easily and cheaply done that they require almost no skill and very little time, so I don't think you will find many businesses doing them.

Another note, this is the time of year to get Lemax stuff at a steep discount; trees, flocked foam risers, some in scale bits (coffins, grave stones, etc.) and if they are offering it this year a pretty cool led powered moon that could add some nice ambiance for certain scenarios.

On the topic of things for a Dwarvenite civilization, I'd love to see more things for markets, like a peddler's wagon and I'd love to see a court set of minis (king, queen, prince, princess, nobles, jester, etc.).

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:04 am

My searching magic is failing me, but some years back someone posted a build with perfect 1" thick black hard foam risers for the DF terrain. Can't remember who it was or what company sold them. Easier than spray painting and cutting pink foam but probably more expensive.