Sewers

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Sewers

Post by GODofwar » Wed May 17, 2017 2:36 pm

jonmilton wrote:
Sun May 01, 2016 3:30 pm
Aside from previously suggested transition pieces to caverns and dungeons, I suggest:

Planks to cross over the sluices
Alternate sluices to represent deep sewage water
Culverts
PLanks: Cut balsa wood, stain nasty. Easy and faster than waiting for a KS!
Altnerate deep sluices: haven't tried this yte, but I've thought of using a sluice with ends blocked to cast colored resin in deep blue and/or brownish with "bits" floating in it...trying to figure out how to keep the resin from adhereing to the sluice tile. I may just try plastic wrap.

Culverts, that's actually a building projecti, so yeah, wait for a sewer KS...
The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt
WeaselWarGod

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Wed May 17, 2017 2:26 pm

jackattack wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 12:15 pm
Oozes.

Put all kinds of slimy, clingy, drippy growths in your sewers. Let the players know when they approach covered surfaces and hanging masses. Let them make DEX rolls to avoid touching the walls as they pass, or to step in clear spots, or slip between dripping filth. Let them use up torches, flasks of oil, and spells trying to clear the way. Let them wonder if the ways that are already clear are a trap.

Then you can decide how much (if any) of it is actually creatures. Green slime and yellow mold are your immobile/environmental dangers. Ochre jellies and black puddings are your amorphous creepers.

------------

Tentacles.

If you have the opportunity, feed the party rumors about unknown things in the sewers that grab with ropy arms and pull the unsuspecting down.

When the party gets into the sewers give them a couple of false alarms. Then start rewarding successful perception rolls with sightings -- tentacles disappearing into the water, or pulling back into a crack in the wall.

DM's choice as to what they really are. They might just be small sewer-dwellers that live on rats and don't bother anybody -- in which case you can lead your party on a merry chase trying to find "the monster with all the tentacles". They might be the slender tips of very long tentacles belonging to a single gigantic creature -- in which case you might watch Deep Rising (again).

------------

Okay, that's the last of it. Glad I could help make your players nervous and paranoid.
Are we all a bit sick?......

.............nah. Perfectly normal.

Thanks, JackAttack.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt
WeaselWarGod

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Wed May 17, 2017 12:15 pm

Oozes.

Put all kinds of slimy, clingy, drippy growths in your sewers. Let the players know when they approach covered surfaces and hanging masses. Let them make DEX rolls to avoid touching the walls as they pass, or to step in clear spots, or slip between dripping filth. Let them use up torches, flasks of oil, and spells trying to clear the way. Let them wonder if the ways that are already clear are a trap.

Then you can decide how much (if any) of it is actually creatures. Green slime and yellow mold are your immobile/environmental dangers. Ochre jellies and black puddings are your amorphous creepers.

------------

Tentacles.

If you have the opportunity, feed the party rumors about unknown things in the sewers that grab with ropy arms and pull the unsuspecting down.

When the party gets into the sewers give them a couple of false alarms. Then start rewarding successful perception rolls with sightings -- tentacles disappearing into the water, or pulling back into a crack in the wall.

DM's choice as to what they really are. They might just be small sewer-dwellers that live on rats and don't bother anybody -- in which case you can lead your party on a merry chase trying to find "the monster with all the tentacles". They might be the slender tips of very long tentacles belonging to a single gigantic creature -- in which case you might watch Deep Rising (again).

------------

Okay, that's the last of it. Glad I could help make your players nervous and paranoid.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Wed May 10, 2017 5:48 pm

jackattack wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 10:02 pm
I'm not sure what kind of encounter or scenario you have in mind, but here are some ideas.

Rats. First they are here and there, darting out of sight as the party approaches. Then there are more of them, and they just watch as the party goes by. Then the party realizes that the rats are following them in ever-increasing numbers, but if the party approaches they draw back. Eventually the party comes to a large chamber or cavern and finds all of the passages blocked by swarms of rats, who stand their ground if the party approaches but do not advance on the party. Finally, the rat swarms enter the chamber and surround the party, giving way to the giant/dire/fire/whatever rats coming through the passages to kill the party.

Rat swarms that seem to be charging the party, but then pass them by, are good indicators that something very bad is coming.

Stirges. Annoy your party with apparently random stirge attacks, and make sure the stirges at least try to get away when they take damage. When a couple-few have flown off, tell the party they hear whispering, then rustling, then fluttering, then fill the tunnel with stirges looking for a snack. Hiding under the water (CON roll or WILL save to stay under?) allows the swarm to go by without attacking. Have the swarm go by a couple-few times, then while the party is in a dry room or cavern have three or four swarms converge on them at once.

Leeches. As the party wades through the sewers, have them make perception checks to realize they are picking up leeches. Allow them to burn or salt or magic the leeches off, but as they go further give them more and bigger hitchhikers. Eventually they should get the idea that they are headed for a giant leech encounter.

If the party is stopping to make perception checks, have very high and very low rolls result in the characters seeing shadows move or hearing splashes in a random direction. If they investigate, they find nothing. If they stop making perception checks, something jumps out to kill them. If they start trying to disbelieve, let successful rolls dismiss their perceptions as random imaginings -- BUT if they perceive something real and roll to disbelieve, let the characters "convince" themselves it is nothing just before it jumps out to kill them.

Harass them with mysterious wakes in the water. They see a wake cross an intersection ahead of them. They see a wake moving away as they approach. Finally the see a wake headed their way, but it vanishes before it gets to them. (Or, if they get out of the water and prepare to defend themselves, it goes by.) The wakes might mean nothing (just random sewer critters) or they might eventually be a precursor to an encounter.

Allow opponents to use the terrain to their advantage. Got lizard men? Allow them to make stealth rolls to hide underwater, and REFLEX saves to avoid being stepped on as the party wades past. Then enjoy the looks on the players' faces when they realize they are surrounded.

That's what I've got off the top of my head. Hope any of it is useful, or gives you a better idea.
JACKATTACK, I copied all these to my notebook! Thank you.

"The Least Weasel"
Totus KS delenda sunt
WeaselWarGod

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Mon May 08, 2017 10:02 pm

I'm not sure what kind of encounter or scenario you have in mind, but here are some ideas.

Rats. First they are here and there, darting out of sight as the party approaches. Then there are more of them, and they just watch as the party goes by. Then the party realizes that the rats are following them in ever-increasing numbers, but if the party approaches they draw back. Eventually the party comes to a large chamber or cavern and finds all of the passages blocked by swarms of rats, who stand their ground if the party approaches but do not advance on the party. Finally, the rat swarms enter the chamber and surround the party, giving way to the giant/dire/fire/whatever rats coming through the passages to kill the party.

Rat swarms that seem to be charging the party, but then pass them by, are good indicators that something very bad is coming.

Stirges. Annoy your party with apparently random stirge attacks, and make sure the stirges at least try to get away when they take damage. When a couple-few have flown off, tell the party they hear whispering, then rustling, then fluttering, then fill the tunnel with stirges looking for a snack. Hiding under the water (CON roll or WILL save to stay under?) allows the swarm to go by without attacking. Have the swarm go by a couple-few times, then while the party is in a dry room or cavern have three or four swarms converge on them at once.

Leeches. As the party wades through the sewers, have them make perception checks to realize they are picking up leeches. Allow them to burn or salt or magic the leeches off, but as they go further give them more and bigger hitchhikers. Eventually they should get the idea that they are headed for a giant leech encounter.

If the party is stopping to make perception checks, have very high and very low rolls result in the characters seeing shadows move or hearing splashes in a random direction. If they investigate, they find nothing. If they stop making perception checks, something jumps out to kill them. If they start trying to disbelieve, let successful rolls dismiss their perceptions as random imaginings -- BUT if they perceive something real and roll to disbelieve, let the characters "convince" themselves it is nothing just before it jumps out to kill them.

Harass them with mysterious wakes in the water. They see a wake cross an intersection ahead of them. They see a wake moving away as they approach. Finally the see a wake headed their way, but it vanishes before it gets to them. (Or, if they get out of the water and prepare to defend themselves, it goes by.) The wakes might mean nothing (just random sewer critters) or they might eventually be a precursor to an encounter.

Allow opponents to use the terrain to their advantage. Got lizard men? Allow them to make stealth rolls to hide underwater, and REFLEX saves to avoid being stepped on as the party wades past. Then enjoy the looks on the players' faces when they realize they are surrounded.

That's what I've got off the top of my head. Hope any of it is useful, or gives you a better idea.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Mon May 08, 2017 7:47 pm

Spiropolous the Minotaur wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 3:54 am
I definitely want to add more stuff to sewers...but alas, not in KS5....maybe KS6 highly probable!

Note: the sewers of Valoria are 3000 years old....from the Ancient City of Valor that was destroyed, those sewers were bigger...the newer sewers of Valoria (300 years old) are smaller...and there ARE Otyughs employed down there in certain area's!
Bah. I fear no Otyughs (Otyughii?).

I love my sewers so much I almost ALWAYS include a sewer layer under a city setting...but I have not got the knack yet of capturing the eerie feeling of a sewer encounter in an adventure. ADVICE FREELY BEGGED - IDEAS READILY STOLEN!

The LLLL one-off did feature a Tentacle Creature that at first almost provoked an attack - until the intrepid party figured out it was gesturing with the giant tentacle to point out the best path!!

hardly sewer-scary.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS delenda sunt
WeaselWarGod

Spiropolous the Minotaur
Orc
Orc

Post by Spiropolous the Minotaur » Mon May 08, 2017 3:54 am

I definitely want to add more stuff to sewers...but alas, not in KS5....maybe KS6 highly probable!

Note: the sewers of Valoria are 3000 years old....from the Ancient City of Valor that was destroyed, those sewers were bigger...the newer sewers of Valoria (300 years old) are smaller...and there ARE Otyughs employed down there in certain area's!

Oldent
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Oldent » Tue May 03, 2016 1:54 pm

kitenerd wrote:I don't want decorations in my sewers... but that is just me

What we do need is signs of life... plank bridge, and maybe a hovel of slapped together boards (more lean to than hut) that would fit up against a wall... these things open up possibilities for encounters

I would also like valves... big turning wheels - perhaps as part of a wall piece, then you could use 3 or four together to make a "control room", this room would of course be inhabited by some mad wizard, or thieves guild, or...

A central chamber for the Otyugh?

A sewer needs encounter areas that are more than 5 foot wide ;)
The Them principal

A place for the giant ant nest.

Sometimes you might just have to craft somethings. ;)
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

kitenerd
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kitenerd » Tue May 03, 2016 1:50 pm

I don't want decorations in my sewers... but that is just me

What we do need is signs of life... plank bridge, and maybe a hovel of slapped together boards (more lean to than hut) that would fit up against a wall... these things open up possibilities for encounters

I would also like valves... big turning wheels - perhaps as part of a wall piece, then you could use 3 or four together to make a "control room", this room would of course be inhabited by some mad wizard, or thieves guild, or...

A central chamber for the Otyugh?

A sewer needs encounter areas that are more than 5 foot wide ;)
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon May 02, 2016 11:07 pm

Or just keep them separate for utility :)
106 Resin and 138 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned (After KS4 is delivered)