Why are forums so quiet these days?

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Why are forums so quiet these days?

Post by AnimeSensei » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:29 am

HeroQuestFrance wrote:People are playing so they can't post here ;)
Maybe you could post a pic of a sci-fi setup with some beta sets. :)
106 Resin and 145 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

HeroQuestFrance
Ogre
Ogre

Post by HeroQuestFrance » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:17 am

People are playing so they can't post here ;)

dungeonmastermark
Orc
Orc

Post by dungeonmastermark » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:09 pm

the forums may be slow... but

our DF facebook group is always busy...

i think some folks just prefer sharing via social media.

jasdotcom
Ogre
Ogre

Post by jasdotcom » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:56 pm

The reasons I don't visit these forums (as much as I used to) are complicated to explain, as they are pertaining to forces both internal and external to me.

The external reason is this - As a pre-Kickstarter customer, I became used to the amount of patience, respect, and wisdom that was constantly displayed on the old forum. I truly believe that before Kickstarter, Dwarven Forge had the nicest forum on the internet.
The influx of new consumers from the Kickstarter campaigns has been tremendously positive to keeping the doors at Dwarven Forge open, hopefully for years to come. But it also ushered in a new dynamic of customer who is younger, impatient, and who has grown up on an internet full of trolls, arguments, and bullying that I won't associate with on these forums. In short, I don't feel as welcome by many new members through their casual interaction with me personally and from interactions that I see with each other.

Internally - I have a hard time controlling my passion for this company. Just by visiting a forum, one elevates themselves from that of a casual customer to someone more interested in the nuances of that product. In this instance, when I visit these forums, I can't tamper my own ambitions for Dwarven Forge and I long to reach through my monitor to conduct this company's operations and future development. Returning to this forum after a few months absence to see folks complaining about the same things I obsess over frustrates me to an unnatural level.

Because of this, I'm resolved to be a casual consumer. One who understands that Stefan has never claimed to be anyone or anything that what he is: An artist who sculpts 3D terrain for HIMSELF, and the sharing of his creations with the outside world (for free or for profit) is a distant, secondary interest for him. Artists are notoriously bad at running companies and currently Stefan has trust issues (because of Jeff's departure) to let anyone else do it for him, which is very understandable. I hope this changes over time.

For now, I feel extremely fortunate whenever I luck into obtaining new pieces for my personal collection but no longer feel it necessary (or even psychologically healthy) to foster this connection any deeper than that.

(After proof reading this, I notice that I've combined a couple different topics together. For me they are related and personal, which I know is my own fault, and it's a relieving to get these opinions off my chest. Sorry for the rambling post)

Spiropolous the Minotaur
Orc
Orc

Post by Spiropolous the Minotaur » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:00 pm

Yes, I use the quick links too....otherwise it's confusing...I am not sure what all the symbols on the left side mean....lol...

I just use the quick links and go to unread posts...after I started using that it was easier for me....I am not a computer person...

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:45 am

My wife and I run a World of Darkness moderated chat site (and host a couple for other people) which uses the PHPBB forum like this one. It's been our experience that people don't like change. When they're comfortable and familiar with one way to do things and you introduce another way, no matter if it's similar or better, it really tends to throw people off. We've had to keep this in mind when introducing new/better/different ways to do the same thing that the forum used to handle as a 'catch all', and sometimes not very well.

Having said that, I think there's another major reason why, which has already been mentioned. It's the registration process which seems to be a pretty big barrier, right now. Originally, it was completely open which caused a lot of spam. Currently, I'm not sure what exactly was implemented so I cannot comment on what part of the process is causing the issue.

One thing to note (which someone already brought up) is that the Quick links menu at top is now the 'go to' menu and it gives you a couple of 'go to' search options that now have to be used, ie. New Posts, Unread Posts, Unanswered Posts... not just the single one that was in the old forum.
Last edited by jchunick on Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Unless otherwise noted, my views and opinions on this forum are my own and do not, in any way, reflect the views and opinions of Dwarven Forge.

BaitSauce
Goblin
Goblin

Post by BaitSauce » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:29 am

I've been coming to this site almost everyday since the ks3 started up, I just need to post more often.

pacarat
Ogre
Ogre

Post by pacarat » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:21 am

I check daily, but traveling for work puts a dent in my hobby / gaming / posting time.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:32 am

I come daily and yes, the unread posts link is super convenient for me.

The forums are quiet, but there is still some interesting stuff and occasional pictures.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:05 am

I am here everyday, just like with the old forums. The new forums are great for me because I use the Quick links, Unread Posts, so I get to read all the new posts each day in one place. I have not posted much because I do not have much to say about the resin restock, as I am awaiting the KS3 Dwarvenite. I could post to say that the two orders I have placed since KS3 was open, both came in fast and have been added to my game.

My guess is it a summer time/after KS lull thing.