Desktop mode when on mobile device

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Desktop mode when on mobile device

Post by jchunick » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:40 pm

Quuids wrote:Hey,

Does anyone know how I can switch the forum to "desktop view" when on my cell phone? I can't seem to find the option anywhere.

I have a hard time navigating mobile sites and usually switch all mobile sites to the desktop view (so nothing personal DF!).

Thanks,

-Quuids
"Desktop view" is not a feature of responsive design, which is what this theme for PHPBB (the forum being used) is designed around. Before responsive design became the way to develop websites for all sizes of devices, we web developers would make essentially two versions of the website and then detect (as best we could) what type of device you were using to serve up the mobile or desktop version. This method was bad for a number of reasons, least of which was the fact that you had to develop two versions of the website.

Responsive Design actually keeps the same page and changes it's styling/layout based off of what are called media queries. These media queries are typically based off the width of the device (but are not limited to this property) and can adjust the styling accordingly. For instance, if I detect that you are using a device with a max viewport width of 320px then I might hide an unimportant sidebar on a three column layout or change a horizontally laid-out main menu to show as an icon that displays a dropdown menu system instead.

Ultimately, the responsive design philosophy is the correct way to develop websites, but in order for it to be effective it needs to be implemented properly. There are definitely issues with the way the forum's "responsively designed" theme has been built and I'm guessing that it's a free theme that was used and the styling tweaked to fit into the colour scheme the rest of the DF website uses. Btw, the forum is using the newest version of PHPBB, if anyone is interested to know.
Unless otherwise noted, my views and opinions on this forum are my own and do not, in any way, reflect the views and opinions of Dwarven Forge.

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Desktop mode when on mobile device

Post by LordDust » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:31 pm

There are a few sites that I use that don't even offer an option on a phone, you just get the mobile site. As a workaround I installed the Dolphin browser on my Android phone and it will let me set a preference that basically tell the websites I visit with it that it is a desktop. I don't usually care for mobile sites myself.

Quuids
Goblin
Goblin

Desktop mode when on mobile device

Post by Quuids » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:17 pm

Hey,

Does anyone know how I can switch the forum to "desktop view" when on my cell phone? I can't seem to find the option anywhere.

I have a hard time navigating mobile sites and usually switch all mobile sites to the desktop view (so nothing personal DF!).

Thanks,

-Quuids