Fix the "Out of Stock" issue

galahad
Orc
Orc

Re:Fix the "Out of Stock" issue

Post by galahad » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:17 am

The kickstarter allows them to have a supply-side reboot but also increases scheduling complexity.

they need to make litterally boxcars of maliable rubber tiles to fulfill the kickstarter. That's the current priority. It looks to be going well. Late september should see the arrival of the KS items in the USA and october for arrival at our homes.

I would expect that the factory will switch over to resin sometime in early/mid august to restock the existing product lines. That will take 2-3 months to produce and paint and then ship - arriving at the end of november.

at that point we may have either another kickstarter or, if the kickstarter is delayed until February 2014, production of additional resin lines that are currently being developed. (catacombes 2, sewers, etc.) The sculptors appear to have moved towards ever complex models with inherent lights and additional features built in, a great advancement that attracts new customers and maintains their client base but requires extra investment and may delay releases as additional engineering is required.

the bi-annual restock business model will likely become a quarterly restock - 2 for resin, an annual kickstarter and a dwarvinite restock.

the complexity of managing continual restocks/new models will tax the small efficient organization that is DF. I wish them well and wait with barely contained enthusiasm for their new oifferings and restocks.
Pontifex Maximus of Valoria

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:41 am

I fear that DF is caught in a paradox.

They held a kickstarter to get the funds to restock the resin sets, but they can't restock the resin sets until they fulfill the kickstarter.

There's only one factory, so they can only do one order at a time. Since they've collected the money for GameTiles, that has to come first. (And how many shipping containers does $1.9M fill, anyway?) Plus, they have to clear the fulfillment center before they can bring in a MasterMaze restock. It's ironic that the more successful a kickstarter is, the more it may make resin restocks logistically difficult.

My hope is that DF will successfully get everything from the kickstarter delivered on schedule, allowing them to make an order for resin before the end of the year. That should allow the factory time to deliver the resin, and us to put a large dent in the inventory, before DF does another kickstarter. (Although I'd just as soon see them restock the resin sets, and put GameTiles up for regular sale on the website, and maybe do another restock -- depending on sales -- before they do another kickstarter.)

Oh, and if I remember/understand the water tiles issue correctly, they'll have to coordinate a restock of the affected sets at a particular time of year, as well as around any kickstarters they might run.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

mikeran
Goblin
Goblin

Post by mikeran » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:40 am

Sadly I believe I read on here somewhere that there will not be a restock for GenCon. Like everyone else I really want more sets and since they are not in stock I also have turned to Ebay to buy them when I would much rather give my money to DF. I hope the kickstarter will change things as I worry they are losing more customers out of frustration on not being able to buy anything.

jgardner44
Ogre
Ogre

Post by jgardner44 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:24 pm

Im always so frustrated with the lack of stock and upcoming restocking info. Will this ever change?

thornie

Post by thornie » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:13 am

I am one of the newbs that the OP is talking about. I am new to the whole 3D terrain thing, and have been recently re-introduced to DND after a 20 year absence. After hearing about DF from a friend, I rushed to the site and fell in love. I literally whipped out my credit card and was about to spend at least $1000 on sets, but was bummed to see nearly everything was out of stock. To add insult to injury, I also completely missed the whole kickstarter thing as well.

Any way... If you guys are right, the restock should be coming right around GenCon, which is right around the corner! I subscribed to the notifications, so I'm super excited to get as much as I can before it all goes out of stock for another year.

dandare
Ogre
Ogre

Post by dandare » Mon May 20, 2013 3:55 am

@Stefan - I also read again and again that it is the lack of information on the store fronts that causes a great deal of concern.

I am not suggesting that you buy a better shop portal with real time stock figures.
What I am suggesting is that you add a detail text tag for each stock items that will answer 90% of all the questions that get asked.
and that is important - there are still many many people that visit and simply do not join and then post on forums for 'Just anther product that I might buy'.
(I was one of 'those' people. I joined some years ago. I rarely posted (until lately). Years before when I joined I used to visit the site 'Shop' and saw that DF never had much stock etc. I assumed you had gone out of business and only had final remaining stock items for sale. (it was in the Bow Tie transition days). As I could only find stock available on ebay. That became my DF store. For several years I built my collection from ebay never looking at this site because it had so little information for the buyer...)

Topics for your web site include :
'Out of Stock - Restock planned ' (When known)
'Out of Stock - Restocking end 2013'
'Out of Stock - Restock planned - date to be confirmed'
'Out of Stock - Forever' (Limited Edition ranges only)
'Out of Stock - Until there is sufficient demand. Please post of Forum or email '
&
'Low Stock - Less than 100 sets available'.
'Very Low Stock - Less than 25 sets available'.
&
'In Stock'

Zaltar of Valoria
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Zaltar of Valoria » Mon May 20, 2013 3:13 am

You guys are all right...we are trying to work out these issues...we just don't want to say something will be in stock by such and such a date and then not have it happen if that can be helped...and yes, we are currently still in the final stages of the kickstarter aftermath...

jgardner44
Ogre
Ogre

Post by jgardner44 » Sun May 19, 2013 11:20 pm

I agree, I bought the last cavern chasm set but I would have bought seven more plus many cavern sets that were out stock this last month with a work bonus I received.

Keeblerorc
Orc
Orc

Post by Keeblerorc » Sun May 19, 2013 10:28 pm

The words "Estimated Restock Date" would be more appropriate as it doesn't promise anything but does ease the pain of waiting for restock.

What I would do is write a business plan and either go to a bank that will create a line of credit or find an investor that takes a percentage of sales related to return on investment over time of money used.

I really believe that your missing out on half your sales by not having stuff in stock. I know that not having stuff in stock helps feed the frenzy at game cons where cash sales are king but really puts off a customer base that likes to shop from home. With the Kick Starter exceeding 1.9 million there is a potential to at the least double that amount in sales as it had dragged people haply into the Frey.

Just my thoughts
Attachments
500details_5-b1590a6eee817df3efb8d9b1a2d3c146.jpg
500details_5-b1590a6eee817df3efb8d9b1a2d3c146.jpg (89.39 KiB) Viewed 1067 times
johnkeebler@charter.net
Keeblerorc on FaceBook

monkplayer
Ogre
Ogre

Post by monkplayer » Sun May 19, 2013 10:11 pm

I've heard more than once that the restock is tentatively scheduled for August assuming everything is in order. This would be the soonest sets would arrive and be available. be sure to sign up for email notification. I assure you that sets will likely be out of stock by the end of the SAME day.
"Keep the Dice Rollin"