European DF website

Rabbit Burner
Orc
Orc

Re: European DF website

Post by Rabbit Burner » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:50 am

That was a lot of not much ;)

I didn't know the history of the European website and as with all websites it will take effort to create and keep it up to date, so hats off to Thod for its existence - thank you :)

Its just that my experience with it has always been frustrating. The lack of any CBS advertisement lead me to believe they did not have any so went to Miniaturicum which had a much easier interface to navigate and find CBS as well as Dungeons and Caverns.

The point of the post was to try to encourage DF/Thod to give the site a little more love on the admin/setup side as it feels like a missed opportunity. I suspect many EU buyers that like me are after CBS will either go to Miniaturicum (which is great btw) or DF US or possibly just give up because its too hard/expensive (from the US).

I like the treasure hunt method but mostly to see what unexpected goodies a site might have but not for when I am searching for something specific.

I am grateful that there is a DF EU site as like you say there maybe no DF presence here in the EU otherwise and with a little more love it could be the first port of call for all us EU dwarvenite addicts.
I am the Game and I want to Play

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: European DF website

Post by kitenerd » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:42 am

Not much to say in reply to this...

You pointed out that the European site is separate from DF. Thod took it upon himself to make it things more accessible for the European market and for that we should all be grateful. I am one of the folks in the US who order from Europe when things are unavailable here (sorry...). I have had several successful transactions and have never had a problem.

I do agree that the layout could be better, but i sort of enjoy the treasure hunt... It is important to remember that it is one person and it is a sideline for him. From what others have said he has a lot on his plate right now (i know he is less active than he has been in years past). While that may be disappointing, i think it is still fantastic that this stuff is more accessible to the EU. I am pretty sure if it weren't for Thod it would not be (i have no idea what DF's relationship is with Miniaturicum).

It was not so long ago that many of the same problems plagued DF's US site. Pre KS1 it was a confusing and off putting experience (basic sets frequently out of stock with no indication of restock). I looked into DF several times and always left with the feeling of "Wow that trap set is cool, but where would i get the dungeon to put it in?" The storefront has come a LONG way and the communication is the best it has been in years. Lets hope that this will eventually make its way to the European site and that Thod will get to a place where he can be more actively involved in the community. I miss his voice and will never forget the fun contests he did during KS2.

hmm, apparently i did have something to say ;)

I guess what i really wanted to say was "I can't disagree with you, but i am still glad that Thod is a part of the team!"
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Rabbit Burner
Orc
Orc

European DF website

Post by Rabbit Burner » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:25 pm

I have mentioned this on a different thread and on the KSV comment section and feel it only fair to voice it officially so to speak. To give this topic some context I am in the UK so I am keen on a European distributer of Dwarvenite - specifically CBS and Castles :)

Compared to this website I find the DF Europe website a big let down in regards to its layout and its content. Its hard to find any CBS on there and right now I wont be looking there for any Castle sets.
Whilst on face value it looks like a DF website it does not have the same quality layout and easy to find links.

The US DF website has a unique look and feel without making basic things hard - like searching for and buying Dwarvenite.

Don't get me wrong there is some good stuff on the European website - some great pictures and a simple link to your videos and its easy to find some of your older products classic resin sets. I have heard good things from those that have purchased items from the website.
But it does feel like the forgotten child and is only maintained as an afterthought, the list of products makes no mention of the City Builder System. The last three posts in the news section are from February 2017, August 2016 and then March 2010!

I have since found CBS sets under Limited Edition sets!

I test various software products for a living which include web based interfaces and experience tells me that as soon as it gets hard the user goes elsewhere.

I realise that the European website is not run by DF but potential customers don't necessarily know that and their first experience of DF may well be that website and if they are trying to find CBS or Castle sets ..... not a good start if you ask me.

I have written this to hopefully highlight that a potential upgrade to the EU DF site may well bring in more customers and its not just a bash at whoever runs it.
I want it to be my main provider of Retail DF therapy as hopefully the shipping will not be quite as horrendous as it is from the US.

Just 33* Rabbits opinions (*accurate at the time of writing)
I am the Game and I want to Play