KS3 Corner Posts

Limbolance
Orc
Orc

Re: KS3 Corner Posts

Post by Limbolance » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:20 am

Attempting to use Power Point to make representations of the tiles and Excel (grid) to "build" with. Clunky... Anyone try this? Or CC3? Or anything else in a program commonly used?

dafrca
Ogre
Ogre

Post by dafrca » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:15 pm

Keeblerorc wrote:Limbolance.............. You need to get in contact with your inner DF Child.....

I play with Toys! I collect them..... I modify them...... I share them...... yes.... Yes! I Play With Toys!

LOL
I am somewhere between the two ideals. I don't mind playing with toys but with the cost and quality involved I am loth to call my Dwarven Forge "toys". But I do own toys to use with my Dwarven Forge. :mrgreen:

Keeblerorc
Orc
Orc

Post by Keeblerorc » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:35 am

Limbolance.............. You need to get in contact with your inner DF Child.....

I play with Toys! I collect them..... I modify them...... I share them...... yes.... Yes! I Play With Toys!

LOL
johnkeebler@charter.net
Keeblerorc on FaceBook

Limbolance
Orc
Orc

Post by Limbolance » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:14 am

kitenerd wrote:...There may be other things i am missing, but that is enough already to tell me i will be using the toys the way they are designed to be used.
Toys? Toys? Men don't play with toys!! We recreate using modern adaptations. We reenact artistically the fiction of the times. We manipulate the now into the possible. We spread joy through the creative products of the fertile mind of Stefan. Toys, we don't have toys... (You been talking to my wife???)

So, speaking of "space issues" - you tried putting any furniture into that 4x4 building (er, 3x3) with a door swinging in and a stairwell going up? Make sure you don't put anything behind the door or it won't open and nothing at the base of the stairs...

There is going to be "adaptation" issues whether you use these recreation pieces "as is" or modify. Even in the case of connected 4x4s, the walls are being offered in only one length - so interior walls will have issues as well if you don't have depth added as well as length. The number of double posts are VERY limited in number - how wide you go will be subject to creative license as it is (to me the Double Post will be mainly decorative and assist in keeping "shifting down"). Probably gonna go broke using hot glue...

For me, my Tavern will be 2 4x4s wide by 3 4x4s long for the first and second floors (not to mention the 4x4s needed for the various other buildings in my Tavern complex). So, I am thinking of making plexiglass elevation platform(s) so that the second and third floors (the maximum height I will try to achieve) can "float" above the first to aid in visualization (would probably have to replace the DF posts with custom posts (single and double) to extend above the Dwarvenite walls to hold the plexi "shelf" holding the second or third levels) and to minizimize "widening" the building footprint (which in turn would affect Streets and Alleys and any sewers, caverns or dungeons placed below a building - which presents its own display issues). The plexi would probably have to be fairly thick (e.g. expensive) to support the weight - so questions like "leave it clear" or etch and paint so it looks like the floor instead of using 4x4s as floors at all arise as questions as well (though this also leaves artistic exploration as you can paint one side to look like a floor and the other like a ceiling). Not using 4x4s as the floors makes bigger buildings more easily possible but the post configurations come into play - unless the posts, if turned upside down, hold walls just as easily as they do in their proper configuration.

Anyway, nothing can really be done other than visualize and dream until I have my hands on the newest toys - er, Dwarvenite...

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:45 pm

but the grid is for 3x3!

Ok, in all seriousness -

Your idea works for stand alone 4x4 buildings - it gets very funky as soon as you make 4x8 or 8x8 (which is to say a different custom connector would need to be made for each of these)

The height will be off - stairs to the second story (or a 2nd floor entrance) will be the wrong height. Of course with the walls on the outside you cannot support a 2nd story, so this is kind of a moot point.

Doors won't open - they will swing into the floor behind them.

Windows won't have the proper visual weight, because the floor height will be 3/8" high.

There may be other things i am missing, but that is enough already to tell me i will be using the toys the way they are designed to be used.
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Limbolance
Orc
Orc

Post by Limbolance » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:06 pm

Wasn't thinking about resin cause I don't own any. Originally, Stefan had two of the corner posts interlocking before revealing Double Post. Also, said it would probably require the creation of "after market" or DF created corners and mid section pieces. Just floating a idea. Won't know how feasible until I actually have some pieces in my hands.... Though since I WILL be using 4x6s in my building layouts (from KS1), flipping the Posts upside down to be able to set interior walls looks viable...

dice4hire
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by dice4hire » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:39 pm

I do not see how this will work well or easily as you will need longer walls, or huge corners to stay outside of the 4x4 tile. And then it will just intrude on the next tile over. Probably best to just line up freestanding 2x2 pieces along the outside of the 4x4 though doing that tudor will be hard without buying resin MBA.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Limbolance
Orc
Orc

KS3 Corner Posts

Post by Limbolance » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:11 pm

Since I plan on going "roofless" anyway, why place the walls ON the 4x4s? If I place the walls on the OUTSIDE of the tiles and fashion some corner and mid wall pieces (or Stefan and crew make one - or even Elye or Lady Sabelle as a "after market" piece) - I can maximize the interior spaces (getting a true 4x4 out of each 4x4). A little hot glue for rigidity and viola! Might even be able to use the posts still - the bottom of the posts will still help with connecting interior walls by turning them upside down. Place the flat normally top part as the base instead of inserting into the 4x4 and free yourself from arbitrary connections....

See what happens when I OD on Mt Dew....