Modular Tower

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Modular Tower

Post by Law » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:33 am

One word on the whole Hydrocal v. resin debate:

If I had the means and skill, I'd work with resin. All my HA pieces were done in Hydrocal, and while the occasional DF accessory is fine that way, the rest of them are too fragile for my taste.

It has a lot to do with the fact that my HA pieces have a lot of arches and columns, which is what I liked about HA to begin with. I did a few watchtowers and belltowers and shrines, and I did a whole massive modular Osgiliath table as well (pics all up at voidgamers, for anyone interested).

But when I moved, it all had to go in storage, and over time, it's taken a beating. Almost everything has had damage of some kind -- most of it easy enough to fix, but frustrating all the same.

I sold an entire Osgiliath table to my local GW store (free GW products for about six months, that was a sweet deal) and over time they had to turn it all into "rubble accessories," the contents of the whole table just got destroyed by their younger clientele.

I've sold a few pieces on eBay, and got my only non-positive feedback (a neutral, luckily) because one piece broke in transit, despite the fact that I'd bubble-wrapped it carefully. (and insured it, but the buyer elected to leave me with griping feedback rather than get a refund for the damaged piece)

So the end result is that while I like looking at HA pieces online, and I'm glad to have my molds, I'm really only going to get back into that when I know I have room to display it, and won't have to put it away either because I'm short of display space or because I'm moving.

Resin would be fantastic, and given what you've said, jk, about how fast it is and how quickly you can be painting -- man, sign me up!

L

crioux
Orc
Orc

Modular Tower

Post by crioux » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:03 am

No, but from what I understand, Stephan is making one. We should expect it before next year (I hope)
I the meantime, I will complete this one.

KANSASUFO

Modular Tower

Post by KANSASUFO » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:00 am

Great job, do you sell it?
bravo!!

crioux
Orc
Orc

Modular Tower

Post by crioux » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:07 pm

It would certainly help a lot to post new ideas if this forum supported photos (Like the "cool photos"). Instead, I have to load my personnal webpage with the pictures, and if my host goes down, or if I clean up my site, the pictures will be gone.

Dante
Ogre
Ogre

Modular Tower

Post by Dante » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:36 am

I would totally buy one of those if it was in resin. Better still--a heavy plastic (that could bounce if dropped!) instead of resin. (thinking of the way my kid would play with it).

crioux
Orc
Orc

Modular Tower

Post by crioux » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:05 am

Very Nice Crioux!
We probably will do a tower before going on to anything else....I'd better get on it before you steal the show;)

Good! Can we expect it this year ? I'll start saving!

As for the castle, I have some ideas, in case you want to put them to the test.

jkratzer
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Modular Tower

Post by jkratzer » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:16 am

Okay, I admit it, I cheat; whenever I do a casting, I wait until I can afford resin.
YES, it's bloody expensive! (I sent in my first-born male child for the last order. He came out and handed me the box and said 'Next time, YOU'RE carrying it Dad!' :lol: ).
YES, it can be a royal pain in the @$$ to work in! (ReBob spilled resin on my B&D Workmate one time, and I'm STILL cleaning dried resin off the legs!).
BUT, it's durable, it's lightweight, and it sets up FAST. I can pour a piece and 30 minutes later de-mold it, and 20 minutes after that, I'm painting it! And at that, I'm doubling the factory times, just to be safe.

I've used Hydrocal for model railroad scenery work, using the paper towel method Dave Frary recommends, and it's great for that; lightweight, fast-setting, and in that kind of application, durable. And yet you can rip it out and change it easily. BUT, it's NOT my suggested material for gaming scenery pieces. Any plaster is too fragile for MY games - and sometimes, my GAMERS!

See ya!

Jim

crioux
Orc
Orc

Modular Tower

Post by crioux » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:18 am

crioux--did you use plaster or dental plaster to cast the pieces? I'd love to do something like this in resin for my kid.

I have this big old, clunky, heavy "hydrostone" cast piece from Mystic Moldwyrks. Nice looking piece but weighs (I'm not exaggerating) probably 10+

I used Hydrocal (that'a all I could get my hands on that is better than Plaster of Paris). At least, it's not too fragile. But it weitgh as much as Dwarvenforge.

Dante
Ogre
Ogre

Modular Tower

Post by Dante » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:31 pm

crioux--did you use plaster or dental plaster to cast the pieces? I'd love to do something like this in resin for my kid.

I have this big old, clunky, heavy "hydrostone" cast piece from Mystic Moldwyrks. Nice looking piece but weighs (I'm not exaggerating) probably 10+ pounds including the base. I'm terrified everytime my kid asks me to get it off the shelf so he can play with it. O.k., Hell, I'm even terrified to get it down when I want to play with it because it weighs so much.

Kradlo
Minotaur
Minotaur

Modular Tower

Post by Kradlo » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:23 pm

David Macauley's book Castle is a good place to look for inspiration as well. It's a terrific illustrated book on the building of a Welsh castle. The castle is fictitious, but the information is spot on for accuracy as to construction.
Make Mine Master Maze!