Post by admin » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:44 pm

You should see him and Peter go at it. It's like "Clash of the Titans!"

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re:Wizards Using DF

Post by Harneloot » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:56 am

Stefan wrote:

no worries...we like it when they use our stuff in pics or at Cons....plus I can still out drink them...

This is still, IMHO, one of the funniest lines ever posted here on the DF forums!

Huzzah!

dudebird
Orc
Orc

Wizards Using DF

Post by dudebird » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:25 pm

no worries...we like it when they use our stuff in pics or at Cons....plus I can still out drink them...

This rules!

admin
Minotaur
Minotaur

Wizards Using DF

Post by admin » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:05 pm

And by "them" he means the entire staff!

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Wizards Using DF

Post by Harneloot » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:53 pm

LOL!!!

Zaltar of Valoria
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Wizards Using DF

Post by Zaltar of Valoria » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:46 pm

KenM
Orc
Orc

Wizards Using DF

Post by KenM » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:10 pm

With the fantasy grounds thing, what I heard was someone from WOTC copied and pasted the dice thing from there for an interal pic of what they wanted there VTT to look like. Someone from WOTC posted the pic online as a work in progress. Someone saw it was the same dice thing from fantasy grouds. The FG people sent them a cease and desist letter.

But makes me wonder what else WOTC stole and claimed was there own.

Saintmac99
Kobold
Kobold

Wizards Using DF

Post by Saintmac99 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:00 pm

Jackattack,

Well said. I'm just amazed that a company wouldn't be more aware of copyright laws. let alone a since of common respect for an artists work. I've lost sooo much respect for WOTC in recient years that I'm hardly shocked by anything they do for cash.

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Wizards Using DF

Post by jackattack » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:22 am

If this was an isolated incident, then taking action on something that happened 5 years ago would probably be counter-productive.

If it is something WotC (or any other company) has done recently and/or frequently, then a polite letter requesting a line crediting DF for their own products, and possibly the URL, is a good idea. If the company ignores the request and continues to use pictures of DF, then a letter reminding them of the nicities of trademark law would be in order.

Bear in mind though, those pictures represent free advertising, so the ideal outcome is that DF is still shown alongside other gaming products AND newcomers to the game are directed to the DF website to spend lots and lots of money.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

KenM
Orc
Orc

Wizards Using DF

Post by KenM » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:47 am

I'm not a lawyer or anything like that. I'm also not trying to start any trouble. But if WOTC uses DF pics, ect, in products that they sell to make money, and don't mention DF at all, can't DF take legal action for not being represented?

Can you post the pic?

Back when 3rd edtion came out. There was a module put out by Reaper Mini called The Eldest Son. On the back cover they use DF. But not sure if the credited DF or not.