Drawing dungeon maps for DF

Do you have a question or a suggestion about how to best utilize Dwarven Forge's products? Please post it here.
Phoenix Rising
Goblin
Goblin

Re: Drawing dungeon maps for DF

Post by Phoenix Rising » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:10 pm

A lot of the Pathfinder AP maps already show walls as taking space, so I don't consider the half-space a problem. My main determinant for figuring out paint scheme quantities is laying out the entire main floor of the Citadel Drezen from Wrath of the Righteous. Whatever that takes will be in a DF gray-like scheme; the rest of my basic floors and walls will be in sandstone.

The real problem with PFAP maps vs DF is that they love their diagonals, odd curves, and non-45° angles.

oddbender
Orc
Orc

Post by oddbender » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:08 pm

Long, long ago, the half tile drove me nuts, but with age and wisdom I realized it doesn't matter. Shhhhh... maybe they'll buy that line!!!

I like to place furnishings, such as bookcases, fireplaces, chairs, or whatever, in the half tile along the wall. That way the room looks furnished without too much of the layout being "filled." So for purposes of the map, I just treat the half tile as part of the wall. However, for game play I'll use the space for things like hiding or climbing walls.

geekjeff
Ogre
Ogre

Post by geekjeff » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:11 am

Some people prefer to use the tile "intersections" as their markers on the 1" grid when replicating printed maps, it makes the half-square on the edge issue mostly go away. Minis go on the lines, instead of the middle of the squares. May require a little mental gymnastics at first to adjust.

For what it's worth, I don't feel like it's usually a game-mechanical issue to just adapt the room as tiny bit larger or smaller, even if you're playing an intensely grid-centric system like Pathfinder. Exception being the classic 10 foot wide corridor crawls, but if you're getting the new Passages you should be set for that.

Of course, your mileage and OCD level may vary.

Phoenix Rising
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Phoenix Rising » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:49 pm

Walls aren't really zero feet wide anyway, unless you're in a massive tent. Be honest about what you're designing...

If you're drawing a map for a structure with adjoining wall space and the basic layout is on 5-foot grid, some part of your building has to be short between 1/2-foot (light wood) and a few feet (heavy stone or adobe) wherever there's a wall. Classic dungeon pieces are better for thinner walls, while pillar style works for solid construction. With luck and planning, any true 5-foot corridors will snake along the back side of larger rooms.

If you're laying out a sparse dungeon, passage walls will get you to true 5-foot or 10-foot layouts.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:13 am

Glad to help!! Welcome to DF!!
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

panzerfaust101
Kobold
Kobold

Post by panzerfaust101 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:02 am

Thanks - due to the wall i think id been looking at the sets all wrong - that is actually very hepfull - thanks!

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:33 am

The basic pieces are 2 inches by two inches including the wall part. As for the half square next to a wall, in the games I run it is either a full space (if I want a bigger area) or not (if not).

If I were drawing DF maps I would decide first if the half square is a full square for movement and spacing purposes or not.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

panzerfaust101
Kobold
Kobold

Drawing dungeon maps for DF

Post by panzerfaust101 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:29 am

Ive been getting itchy feet waiting for my KS5 pledge (never purchsed DF before) - and thought id start drawing up some map ideas - when i suddenly realise on the main pieces the extra half a tile spacing width between the floor and the wall (am i explaining that right?) makes drawing up maps a little harder than when you are just using a standard grid

Looking online i cannot see anyone having drawn up dwarven forge maps with pen and paper - though i see one of the older KS had a pledge extra for stefans maps...

Is there an example anywhere of people drawing up maps using pen and paper?