Roofing options for larger floor plans

Do you have a question or a suggestion about how to best utilize Dwarven Forge's products? Please post it here.
GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Roofing options for larger floor plans

Post by GODofwar » Fri May 12, 2017 6:00 pm

shaneg wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 8:42 am
I am trying to find a good solution for putting roofs on CBS buildings with larger floorplans. I have a number of roofs of each style, but whatever I do I cannot get the roofs on larger buildings to look right. I've been combining multiple roof pieces by placing them next to each other and filling in the gap with an upside down roof then setting a final one on top, but they end up being too heavy in the center for practical use and random pillars to be placed in the center of the floorplans of larger rooms to hold them up.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how they build out buildings with a 2x2 CBS floor footprint or larger? Even with the pieces in the castles set it won't make for more realistic roofing even if it supports the weight on its own now.

I was curious if anyone had found some paper construction roofs from another manufacturer that matched DF's dimensions or if anyone has any other solutions they use with existing DF pieces. Thanks!
Go to Home Depot. Go to the flooring department. Look for their 4x4 samples of flooring. They come in a huge array of colors. Also check out the granite tile displays - there are similar samples of various tiles (the samples are not in real tile, but they look rock-like).

You can use these FLAT to make decks; they fit CBS perfectly. Or, you can craft simple triangles and make a rafter to put at the roof peak, then glue or stick (I use Blue Tack) some of the Home Depot tiles and make a steeply angled roof. You have to fiddle with the angle a bit some times. You usually have to tack the 4x4 to the top of the CBS room as well. I then lay the finished piece on a piece of cardboard, mark out its INSIDE dimensions, and cut a triangle of cardboard to fill in the ends. You can make quite long roofs this way.
shaneg wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 10:10 pm
I'm looking for large trays to be able to pre-build some of my dwarven forge set pieces that I know the party will encounter. The closest thing I've found are some replacement pet cage plastic liner trays (30"x42" at most) but they still have a lot of bend in them when carried and large lips on the edge that are unnecessary. What do you use to build out an environment for your players and where did you get it?
Shaneg: I suggest the following:

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt
WeaselWarGod

ForestZ
Orc
Orc

Post by ForestZ » Wed May 10, 2017 2:55 pm

If you're into DIY you could also get some of the roof tile molds from Hirst Arts and build some yourself. I've built some normal size roofs to increase my "slate roof" stock that way and they work well.

lostpict
Ogre
Ogre

Post by lostpict » Wed May 10, 2017 11:14 am

I have admired those roofs so many times. I have several of his items (spider lair, gargoyle gate, and the Fortified Gate) - he makes very nice stuff.
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Wed May 10, 2017 11:11 am

There's always Yansolo's roofs:

http://www.dwarvenforge.info/toits/toits.htm

%20_MG_3274_redimensionner[1].JPG
%20_MG_3274_redimensionner[1].JPG (95.02 KiB) Viewed 5090 times
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

shaneg
Kobold
Kobold

Roofing options for larger floor plans

Post by shaneg » Wed May 10, 2017 8:42 am

I am trying to find a good solution for putting roofs on CBS buildings with larger floorplans. I have a number of roofs of each style, but whatever I do I cannot get the roofs on larger buildings to look right. I've been combining multiple roof pieces by placing them next to each other and filling in the gap with an upside down roof then setting a final one on top, but they end up being too heavy in the center for practical use and random pillars to be placed in the center of the floorplans of larger rooms to hold them up.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how they build out buildings with a 2x2 CBS floor footprint or larger? Even with the pieces in the castles set it won't make for more realistic roofing even if it supports the weight on its own now.

I was curious if anyone had found some paper construction roofs from another manufacturer that matched DF's dimensions or if anyone has any other solutions they use with existing DF pieces. Thanks!