jasdotcom
Orc
Orc

Re: Shipwreck Keep at twilight

Post by jasdotcom » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:28 pm

unclebilly wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:05 pm
Cool. Where did the bridge come from ?
I'm glad you like it! To be honest, the bridge is difficult to use with DF due to it's construction (it's crumbling ends don't match up well to the DF pieces I own) but it does add A LOT of flavor to builds. I picked mine up at PetSmart but it seems to be discontinued there. It's listed online under aquarium ornaments as "Top Fin Three Arch Stone Bridge"

jasdotcom
Orc
Orc

Post by jasdotcom » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:17 pm

Arcarius2001 wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:53 pm
Cool build. That's a lot of battlements!! Are you going to use it for a game?
I like the use of the hallways and curved passages to define the courtyard, very clever.
It's been a whole since I read the books (I refuse to see the show on principle) but I recall a scary wind and rain swept bridge between towers. If you only had your Castle sets...then that huge bridge could be put to use!
My group is currently adventuring in the desert, so sadly we're not using this build. This is one of those "I wonder if I could build THIS" and then get to work seeing how close I can make it to what's in my head. You're correct -- there is a gnarly, dangerous, wind-swept bridge leading to the throne room of Castle Pike. This build is just a tribute LOL!

As for the passages, I love how the large curves break up the angled look that DF builds have and always try to find different ways to use them. I will be picking up as many of the large circular rooms as I can afford in KS5 for the same purpose of adding variation to my builds. In this case, I imagine guards using them as protected pathways to get to their Southern towers.

jasdotcom
Orc
Orc

Post by jasdotcom » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:02 pm

WhiskeyandPeaches wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:32 pm
Is the crumbling bridge the remnant of a former main entrance or something else?
I imagine the crumbling causeway originally ended at the Keep when it was only one tower on an island. After two centuries and three major wars, the fiefdom prospered enough to build a proper castle further inland, leaving the keep to defend the coast. With much less traffic to the keep, the bridge was left to the elements, with it's budget diverted to strengthening the keep's expanding defenses.

(In truth, I just threw the bridge out there for flavor :lol: )

unclebilly
Orc
Orc

Post by unclebilly » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:05 pm

Cool. Where did the bridge come from ?

Arcarius2001
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Arcarius2001 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:53 pm

Cool build. That's a lot of battlements!! Are you going to use it for a game?
I like the use of the hallways and curved passages to define the courtyard, very clever.
It's been a whole since I read the books (I refuse to see the show on principle) but I recall a scary wind and rain swept bridge between towers. If you only had your Castle sets...then that huge bridge could be put to use!

WhiskeyandPeaches
Goblin
Goblin

Post by WhiskeyandPeaches » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:32 pm

Very cool setup, and great use of the cavern and sewer tiles to create the bottom layer where the keep meets the waterline. Thanks for sharing!

Is the crumbling bridge the remnant of a former main entrance or something else?

jasdotcom
Orc
Orc

Shipwreck Keep at twilight

Post by jasdotcom » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:13 pm

Inspired by the Iron Isles' Castle Pike from GoT, this keep is the last refuge for the Queen -- should she be driven from the mainland.

Imposing view from the dock

Guards at main entrance

Dock portcullis is offset from main entrance to prohibit use of battering ram

Southerly view

View from Southwest

Southwest close up w/ hidden crossbowman

Westerly view

Northwest view of Keep and ancient causeway

Northeastern view of living quarters and protected cistern

Eastern view

Formidable rocky shoreline

Southeastern view

Shipwreck Keep at dawn

More photos of this build can be seen here http://s18.photobucket.com/user/jasdotc ... eck%20Keep