When will KSIV stuff be in store

astolat
Goblin
Goblin

Re: When will KSIV stuff be in store

Post by astolat » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:12 pm

Bumping this thread to see if we've got a new answer for when the KSIV stuff will reach the store now that KS5 is over!

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Thu May 04, 2017 9:30 pm

Yes, I am interested to see what they put for their estimated ship date.

I'd like to get them in Feb 18, but do not know if that is possible. If China is currently making molds, it might be possible.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Thu May 04, 2017 9:19 pm

Won't be an August pre-sale, that's for sure.

Kickstarter starts mid-June, runs for a month, closes in mid-July. Pledge manager opens early Aug, lasts all month. Pre-sale maybe October. Factory needs everything painted, packed, and loaded onto a boat by 1st week in February to avoid shutdown on CNY mid-Feb. 6 weeks to get to NA and sorted means shipments go out late March/early April.

This is really compact. Normally the KS would be just about finished now. We're about 10 weeks behind their regular calendar.

MBCE
Orc
Orc

Post by MBCE » Wed May 03, 2017 7:42 pm

Kryzsko wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 10:37 pm
dice4hire wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 10:23 pm
This is the timeline I would desire, based also on DF's wishes

DF releases a price list for Castle stuff pre-KSV

Kickstarter V runs and finishes.

A few days later Castle stuff hits the webstore

KSV Pledge Manager released

I think this would work well for everyone.
Yep, that would work for me.

How about Dwarven Forge put the sets up on the web store with pictures and prices but also with a "coming (insert date)". That works as a good advertisement too.

I also don't care when Castle sets go live, but you might want to consider you are giving the resellers on eBay a good head start. There are people who missed KS4 who want Castles that may buy overinflated sets on eBay not realizing that they could just wait a month.
I like this idea. I tend to do my heavy shopping during the pre-sale of items that happens right after the Kickstarters. Now that Suzy has confirmed there will be a pre-sale for KSV, I(m pretty happy.

As for castles, I've ordered a lot of stuff over two different orders. It's going to take time for me to get my hands on everything so the more time I have to play with things, the better I'd feel. I expect I'll be doing a store purchase once items hit the store as there are a number of older sets that are on my wislist. I'm just waiting to pad the order with castle items as well.

Kryzsko
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Kryzsko » Wed May 03, 2017 6:26 pm

Harneloot wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 12:53 pm
geekjeff wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 11:41 am
Ouch but true, to Animesensei's points. I think the Kickstarter will also naturally push some excitement and attention to the webstore offerings, and if the new hotness is unavailable Dwarven Forge could lose some sales momentum from that. Driving potential webstore customers to ebay where some already expensive stuff gets further inflated and feels even more expensive doesn't help brand building any.

Also, there are a few things that many of us had to pass on in this giant Kickstarter and I'm sure that almost ALL of us have that one or two (or seven, or twelve) more things they were eagerly anticipating picking up as soon as fulfillment completed.
To this point: one of the four $1500 Grand Citadels listed on e-bay has already sold
Yep, DF does not exist in a vacuum, but by holding off putting stuff up on the DF store as more and more people are getting their sets they are in fact creating a vacuum that people on eBay will happily fill.

As more and more people get their stuff throughout the next month the more stuff will hit eBay, and the reality is not that people will spend their money in KS5 but more likely that they will overpay on eBay.

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Wed May 03, 2017 12:53 pm

geekjeff wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 11:41 am
Ouch but true, to Animesensei's points. I think the Kickstarter will also naturally push some excitement and attention to the webstore offerings, and if the new hotness is unavailable Dwarven Forge could lose some sales momentum from that. Driving potential webstore customers to ebay where some already expensive stuff gets further inflated and feels even more expensive doesn't help brand building any.

Also, there are a few things that many of us had to pass on in this giant Kickstarter and I'm sure that almost ALL of us have that one or two (or seven, or twelve) more things they were eagerly anticipating picking up as soon as fulfillment completed.
To this point: one of the four $1500 Grand Citadels listed on e-bay has already sold

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Wed May 03, 2017 12:33 pm

ebrandeis wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 12:25 pm
many companies with valuations in the high billions are now selling directly on eBay. So it definitely isn't shady at all.
I have to say it maybe even more shady if the big companies are doing it. ;)

ebrandeis
Orc
Orc

Post by ebrandeis » Wed May 03, 2017 12:25 pm

DFSuzy wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 7:33 am
Harneloot wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 7:13 am
Kryzsko wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 10:37 pm
I also don't care when Castle sets go live, but you might want to consider you are giving the resellers on eBay a good head start. There are people who missed KS4 who want Castles that may buy overinflated sets on eBay not realizing that they could just wait a month.
THIS. You want people spending money on DF however possible, not on e-bay and not on other KS. Get pictures of the sets and lists of pieces and prices up on the web-store ASAP and for sale in the store soon after.

And, as I have suggested before, sell on set a month on e-bay with a link that points back to your own web-store - don't let the re-sellers steal your business :)
HA! That seems shady to me ... I think we would just offer it on the web store instead. Putting things up on eBay is extra work (and who wants to do extra work??).

I will be sure to revisit this topic (hopefully) today to share your input. Thanks to everyone who chimed in (Yes, it is a head-scratcher for sure!) and I will let everyone know what we decided to do with this.

Thanks guys! You are awesome!

Suzy
I work in the corporate world and many companies with valuations in the high billions are now selling directly on eBay. So it definitely isn't shady at all.

There are of course pros and cons.

Pros:
  • You get in front of more customers
  • You set a natural cap on re-seller prices (right now they can gamble on people who won't visit your store)
  • You can attract attention to your store (via various post-sale advertising options to your eBay buyers)
  • Did I mention more sales?
Cons:
  • Cost - depending on your scale the processing fees can exceed 10%
  • Hassle - How do you integrate this into your existing order processing and fulfillment processes (this can be a big one!)
  • Hassle #2 - You've now got a second storefront to manage
  • Customer service - you might get a different customer mix out of eBay with different expectations and challenges
I don't think it's something to be decided lightly, but it can make sense for many businesses. PM me if you want to discuss in detail.

geekjeff
Ogre
Ogre

Post by geekjeff » Wed May 03, 2017 11:41 am

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Wed May 03, 2017 11:21 am

As someone who analyzes businesses every day, I have some insight, but I don't have sales/marketing experience. I still stand by the opinion that you should let buyers spend their money NOW so they have time to save up a month or so for KS5. KS5 will last a few weeks so if you let people spend money now that gives them perhaps up to 2 months to get funds available before the kickstarter closes. It's all about wallet timing. Let your customers spend when they have funds or the funds may go elsewhere for other needs/wants. Sometimes something as big as DF castles can still be considered an impulse buy just because funds (maybe a tax return?) are still sitting in an account itching to be spent.

And as someone who does some reselling of collections, I agree that if you hold on to the castle sets, you're letting resellers just take your money. Some people couldn't back the kickstarter but maybe have some funds now. I'm sure they would rather give those funds to DF than a reseller. All they want is their castles that they've waited a year or more for, and sometimes the wait is too much and people will just pull the trigger and buy at an inflated price because of stock issues.

DF has a stigma of never having what you want in stock, and when it is in stock, it's not there for long. If DF doesn't make castles available, I think that just adds fuel to that fire. :(
106 Resin and 145 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned