Post by Vegomatic » Mon May 02, 2016 5:55 pm

Runeweaver had a recommendation for caverns at this link:

http://dwarvenforge.com/forum/viewtopic ... 997#p91010

Kryzsko
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Pokorny Paint in Airbrush?

Post by Kryzsko » Mon May 02, 2016 4:57 pm

Unpainted resin? I don't have any of the resin caverns. Looking at pictures on my monitor the caverns just look gray with a dusting of olive. If I was going to try and copy the resin caverns I would airbrush them Pokorny gray, then do a light airbrush of olive or cardboard, then I would do a heavy dry brush of stone edge on the stalactites and a light dryer dry brush on the floor. On my monitor the resin looks more stone edge than cavern dry brush. I think it would be more difficult to to match painting the gray and olive with a brush. You would have to put it on thinner and multiple coats. Even using a cheep but good single action airbrush with compressed air would work (badger has one that is well reviewed on Amazon for $20). Also to get that good stone look the Tester's dull coat will help a lot and take away any shine. Hope that helps.

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

WHAT PAINT MATCHES RESIN COLOR?

Post by GODofwar » Mon May 02, 2016 2:37 pm

Kryszko, we are going to do a mass non-airbrush paint session. I have 8-12 players volunteering to paint.

Do you know what brand/shade of paint matches the color of unpainted resin most closely? We are thinking of either using cans of spray paint or an airbrush to basecoat my entire sets of caverns. Base Gray looks close but maybe not exactly right.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum Est - especially this one
WeaselWarGod

Kryzsko
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Kryzsko » Sun May 01, 2016 10:07 pm

I use a Badger Krome with the extra fine needle. You can use any brand of paint you want (reaper, citadel, Army Painter, P3, model air) you just have to thin some paint more than others. I thin with flow aid but people thin with all kinds of stuff from alcohol to Windex. I think Dwarven Forge tiles are some of the best stuff to learn to airbrush on because it is very forgiving. For dungeons just spray them all light gray (leave some of the unpainted "Dungeon Gray" in the cracks), spray over the some randome light gray wall blocks with the earth stone, then do a light dusting of olive dry brush with the airbrush, do a real dry brush of stone edge with a paint brush (use a big wide brush so it does not take forever), and then last but I think important seal with Tester's Dull coat. I know some people don't think you need to seal this stuff, but not only does the dull coat seal the pieces it also takes any shine of the pieces and in my opinion makes them look more stone like. Not only does the airbrush speed up the process but it also makes them look even better. Also there are a ton of great airbrush painting video's on YouTube.

jonmilton
Orc
Orc

Post by jonmilton » Sun May 01, 2016 8:42 pm

I have to thin the DF paint a little bit to get good flow consistently. Next time I will try the flow improver trick.

Fu-Man Chu
Orc
Orc

Post by Fu-Man Chu » Sun May 01, 2016 8:23 pm

Kryzsko wrote:Yes you can use Pokorny in an airbrush without thinning. ...Much faster than hand painting and looks great. The dungeon tiles I did without thinnin at all.
What airbrush do u use? I'm interested in anything that can speed up painting my unpainted pieces.

Also, what paint would you use if not the pokorny ones for alternate color schemes?

Runeweaver
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Runeweaver » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:36 pm

Just to add my two cents, I wouldn't paint it to match exactly either. Helps break it up a little bit. I use miniature building authority buildings quite a bit, and they don't match exactly either. However, the break up looks very good.

Tabletop world has always drawn my eye. Beautiful pieces.

Kryzsko
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Kryzsko » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:02 pm

Yep that is the stuff I use.

FattyLumpkin
Orc
Orc

Post by FattyLumpkin » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:00 pm

Thanks for the responses and advice, guys.

Arcarius2001, I love the tower, too. It's really nice. I'm practicing on easy little things and working up to it. In this case, gathering advice first. I think I'll take yours and use DF colors plus some. Grey. It's going to take forever to do the wood floors and all the rest properly. I'm going to take it slow.

Kryzsko, do you mean the stuff in the link below? If so, I'll pick up a bottle. The DR paints seem pretty thin but I just want to make sure. I've already clogged the thing by putting bronze paint in it for a statue. Anyway, thank you so much for the tip.
Link:
http://www.amazon.com/Liquitex-Professi ... uitex+flow

Kryzsko
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Kryzsko » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:50 pm

Yes you can use Pokorny in an airbrush without thinning. Works great, but what I do is put a couple drops of flow aid in the cup and then the paint and then cover the nozzle to make the paint bubble up and mix the paint. I do this with almost any brand of paint but I use more flow aid on thicker brands of paint. You can however use Pokorny paint by itself, but you may get a little paint buildup around the nozzle after prolonged use and flow aid helps counteract this. I find flow improver works better than airbrush thinner, alcohol, or water. I just use the Liquitex brand flow aid. I have airbrushed approximately 7 sets of dungeon tiles, 8 sets of cavern tiles, and all my stone CBS buildings. Much faster than hand painting and looks great. The dungeon tiles I did without thinnin at all.