Pokorny Paints for City Builder System

See the individual Kickstarter Forums for updates on our Kickstarters. This Forum is for general news about our products.
unclebilly
Orc
Orc

Re: Pokorny Paints for City Builder System

Post by unclebilly » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:46 pm

GriffinTamer wrote:GODofwar:

Pokorny Paints cover a LOT of terrain. As in, one bottle of Base Gray will easily do more than five sets of KS 1 Game Tiles + Add-Ons, and one bottle of all the auxiliary colors for Dungeons (Olive Dry Brush, Earth Stone, Stone Edge Dry Brush) will do 10+ sets. I've painted an insane amount of terrain over the past year and a half and I still haven't used up my first bottle of Earth Stone.

As far as time goes… I painted my last couple sets of standard Caverns + add-ons the other day, and it took me about six hours. This is for a fairly elaborate paint job somewhat more complex than the standard one Stefan shows in his tutorial. Dungeons are quicker (aside from the doors). CBS stuff will likely be slower because of the need to be more precise painting things like the Tudor beams.

Hope that helps!

And looking forward to the new paints!
Would love to see what yours looks like painted. But more important when will we be able to get more of that wonderful stuff you had on your KS. I could use a few more double doors and such ! :D

GriffinTamer
Orc
Orc

Post by GriffinTamer » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:32 pm

GODofwar:

Pokorny Paints cover a LOT of terrain. As in, one bottle of Base Gray will easily do more than five sets of KS 1 Game Tiles + Add-Ons, and one bottle of all the auxiliary colors for Dungeons (Olive Dry Brush, Earth Stone, Stone Edge Dry Brush) will do 10+ sets. I've painted an insane amount of terrain over the past year and a half and I still haven't used up my first bottle of Earth Stone.

As far as time goes… I painted my last couple sets of standard Caverns + add-ons the other day, and it took me about six hours. This is for a fairly elaborate paint job somewhat more complex than the standard one Stefan shows in his tutorial. Dungeons are quicker (aside from the doors). CBS stuff will likely be slower because of the need to be more precise painting things like the Tudor beams.

Hope that helps!

And looking forward to the new paints!

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:12 pm

How may 2x2 walls (just to pick a standard) can you paint in an hour?
How many 2x2 will the Pokorny paints (large set) produce?

Anybody know?

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum Est
WeaselWarGod

Vegomatic
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Vegomatic » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:21 am

William wrote:I've just recently started painting my Game Tiles, I have finished the "Gray Base" on about two fifths of them. I have not started any painting on the Caverns yet, so I'm in a similar situation Kodiakbear. I'll post some pictures once I get some Game Tiles to the final stages.
I layed my pieces out on the floor to see how many of the tiles I modified. I actually shocked myself, modifying about a third of my Game Tiles.

Anyway, I still love the Porkorny Paint. Great product Stefan. :D
Would you share photos of some of your mods? I remember a couple of pictures in a thread several months ago, but was curious as to what else you had done.

Thanks!

dice4hire
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by dice4hire » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:56 am

Wow, I have

All my pieces painted
4 sets + addons for KSI
3 sets plus lots of add-ons for KSII

One modded. I glued two small stairs and a small pedestal in a corner dungeon piece to make stairs. It is a nice piece. Not much of a mod though.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

William
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by William » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:43 am

I've just recently started painting my Game Tiles, I have finished the "Gray Base" on about two fifths of them. I have not started any painting on the Caverns yet, so I'm in a similar situation Kodiakbear. I'll post some pictures once I get some Game Tiles to the final stages.
I layed my pieces out on the floor to see how many of the tiles I modified. I actually shocked myself, modifying about a third of my Game Tiles.

Anyway, I still love the Porkorny Paint. Great product Stefan. :D
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:38 am

Thwick wrote:I wish I could afford to go prepainted, but More DF > Less Painted DF.
I agree

And your ahead of me in painting. I just bought a bunch of paint this week. I have been telling myself that gray Dwarvenite makes the minis stand out so good, it is ok that I have not painted a single piece of KS1 or KS2

Thwick
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Thwick » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:31 pm

Very happy to hear that a full range of paints and instructions will be available this go round. Why? I'm color-blind. The more detailed the instructions (especially mixing) the better. I had to wing it on the cavern tiles and have been told that my caverns are a bit... eccentric. I also have a whole lot of green wooden crates and barrels. I just tell folks they are moldy. I wish I could afford to go prepainted, but More DF > Less Painted DF.

dice4hire
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by dice4hire » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:58 pm

I once had a kickstarter delayed almost a year due to freezing paint concerns.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:10 pm

+1 on making the painting videos (new and old) easy to find. Maybe having the "Videos" link at the top go to a Tutorials and other info page with then a clickable link to the DF Youtube channel instead of going directly there?

Just ordered my paints; I really hope they don't freeze in this weather. :( It's cold here in UT!
106 Resin and 145 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned