Nate has been busy!

See the individual Kickstarter Forums for updates on our Kickstarters. This Forum is for general news about our products.
Audles
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Nate has been busy!

Post by Audles » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:18 pm

Yeah, I've definitely gotten the sense that Resin has been Old Yeller'd.

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:31 am

DFSuzy wrote:Hi Jeff,

At this time, resin restocks will be very limited - while we do have some of the Advanced Builder sets available, the individual pieces from those sets are not available at this time, and we do apologize for this inconvenience. We plan to continue to produce resin items, but in a very limited capacity. If we are able to produce the 6x6 floors in the future, we will be sure to let everyone know.

Thanks much for your inquiry!

Suzy
Not liking the *very limited capacity* qualifier here...

jls304
Orc
Orc

Post by jls304 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:57 pm

I did notice a pretty significant dwarvenite bias on those videos. If I had to guess I would say the dwarvenite margins are significantly better than the resin which is why they are being pushed so heavily. Dwarven Forge can also move them faster because of the lower selling price. Comparatively, the resin sets cost quite a bit more and occasionally suffer quality issues (which DF takes care of). Initially I was against Dwarvenite but now I like it. I still love my resin and will probably always prefer it but I have to admit Dwarvenite has it's advantages.

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:50 pm

Law wrote:I do believe that more resin products will be made -- we've had the Catacombs 2 set, after all -- but I also noticed that not only were the videos Dwarvenite-heavy, I believe the narration even said that DF products are made with Dwarvenite, and the older DF products are made in resin.
That is the impression I have, I just think that resin business is a bit more complicated and it does seem likely that profit margins may be slimmer. I have heard/seen Stefan say resin is here to stay for the foreseeable future and I trust that he means it. I just don't think resin will be doing as much of the basic sets anymore. It seems likely special sets like Catacombs will be the direction it moves in the future. I won't complain either way, while I plan to primarily own Dwarvenite I have every intention of expanding my resin collection a bit.

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:44 pm

LordDust wrote:
dice4hire wrote:I did notice the vids were very dwarvenite heavy ......
From what I understand, the primary impetus of new product will be dwarvenite with resin reserved for special productions and limited productions. It has been said that resin will still be produced, but the bulk of demand at the moment seems to be in dwarvenite. I do hope DF continues to make resin, there are a number of things I would like to see done from DF that are not very practical in dwarvenite for a number of reasons.

As to the videos, it is good for DF to start putting a bit more polish on the presentation the site offers. Some folks still don't know what DF is that game, never mind people new to the industry entirely. A bit more polish will likely make those folks feel more comfortable. A bigger customer base does have drawbacks, but I think it brings more positives than negatives for both DF and the consumers.
I do believe that more resin products will be made -- we've had the Catacombs 2 set, after all -- but I also noticed that not only were the videos Dwarvenite-heavy, I believe the narration even said that DF products are made with Dwarvenite, and the older DF products are made in resin.

JasonYoung
Orc
Orc

Post by JasonYoung » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:17 pm

+1 to what Josh said for video ideas.

The transfer from 2d to 3d is great and illustrates what DF does well.

Also the portability...

The advantage of dumping it all on the table, and having it set up by multiple people (speed enhanced) will illustrate how quickly things can go together.

I've run a few dungeons built this way already.... having people just put together what they think looks fun, and then making some tweaks and then running it.

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:48 pm

Maybe a cool video to produce might be a bunch of people playing D&D on a 2D map then have that transition to a 3D tiled version showing the atmosphere that can be created with fog, lighting and the tiles... plus the battle tactics that work better in a fully 3D environment wit obstacles and elevation, for example... how it just enhances everything... it might work well as a narrative where someone (the DM) swipes off all his Dwarvenite pieces from a table into his DF tote bag and brings it to his friends' house and everyone helps to set up the scene/encounter... just spit balling...
Unless otherwise noted, my views and opinions on this forum are my own and do not, in any way, reflect the views and opinions of Dwarven Forge.

dice4hire
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by dice4hire » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:10 pm

I also liked the product link next to the vids, seeing all the products,. resin and dwarvenite in alphabetical order was a nice overview.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:53 pm

dice4hire wrote:I did notice the vids were very dwarvenite heavy ......
From what I understand, the primary impetus of new product will be dwarvenite with resin reserved for special productions and limited productions. It has been said that resin will still be produced, but the bulk of demand at the moment seems to be in dwarvenite. I do hope DF continues to make resin, there are a number of things I would like to see done from DF that are not very practical in dwarvenite for a number of reasons.

As to the videos, it is good for DF to start putting a bit more polish on the presentation the site offers. Some folks still don't know what DF is that game, never mind people new to the industry entirely. A bit more polish will likely make those folks feel more comfortable. A bigger customer base does have drawbacks, but I think it brings more positives than negatives for both DF and the consumers.

Vegomatic
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Vegomatic » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:45 pm

Well done! While I have not watched all of them yet, I am very impressed!

As to comments or suggestions: New customers might be confused by the use of Kickstarter videos that say the kickstarter is ending on a particular month/day... but no year... perhaps those videos could be edited for the sake of clarity (remove the date or add the year so they know it is in the past)? Just a thought.