Hi-Res Realm of the Ancient Photos

See the individual Kickstarter Forums for updates on our Kickstarters. This Forum is for general news about our products.
Bossman
Orc
Orc

Re: Hi-Res Realm of the Ancient Photos

Post by Bossman » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:02 pm

Looks like Hirst Arts

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:15 pm

It appears as if you are looking through openings to those custom floor 2x2 tiles shown here.
http://fantasymini.blogspot.ca/2008/09/ ... nts-2.html
showimage3ny3.jpg
showimage3ny3.jpg (42.1 KiB) Viewed 265 times
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:56 pm

Could they be curved floor fill-in pieces placed vertically?

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:34 pm

Within these pictures there is a 6" wall that appears to be two peaked archways.
011.jpg
011.jpg (76.89 KiB) Viewed 258 times
Does anyone have a clue as to what this is?
Unknown RotA Wall2.jpg
Unknown RotA Wall2.jpg (65.83 KiB) Viewed 258 times

Elizb01
Kobold
Kobold

Post by Elizb01 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:08 am

William wrote:I have never seen that intersection mosaic on the left with the green/blue/orangey-tan colors and the pattern shape is even different. That is also the first floor, wall and corner paint change I've seen.
I definitely like the blue mosaic, so I know I'll be painting one of my intersections to match it once I finish the one I am on.

As for the walls and corners...I'll admit they are neat, but I can only really picture them being in a special area (like a throne room). The generic tiles are better for most scenarios. If I do decide to paint one of my sets that way, it will be quite a lengthy project to commit to. I can certainly see why it would have cost a steep premium to have the factory reproduce Stephan's original ideas.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:00 pm

Great find Elizb01, :D
I have never seen that intersection mosaic on the left with the green/blue/orangey-tan colors and the pattern shape is even different. That is also the first floor, wall and corner paint change I've seen. Neat stuff, thanks for posting, now I need to go through more of that site. :)

Elizb01
Kobold
Kobold

Post by Elizb01 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:40 pm

William wrote:Sure wish the photos were still showing in this thread. Hint, hint.
Me too! The only thing I was able to find was this.

I would love to see more. As it is, I am almost tempted to paint one of my ROTA sets in this scheme... we'll see if the crazy sets in!

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:49 am

BUMP ---

Sure wish the photos were still showing in this thread. Hint, hint.

Also, I would like to see the development pictures of the RotA pieces prior to the final sculpt and paint decisions as Stefan mentions near the beginning of the thread. Hint, hint.

Ghenghis Ska
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Ghenghis Ska » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:37 pm

You are refering to the underground cities in Cappadocia (located in Asia Minor/Turkey). I've been to them on several occasions and explored the large commerical ones - 1 where 4 of 9 levels are open and excavated for explorations; and I've also been to several (dozens of) smaller but no less fascinating underground cities/complexes. And indeed this feature of rolling mill stone like "doors" is common - often with side passages paralleling the main one which have convienient arrow slits cut into the walls! Lots of other nifty features as well - such as shafts connecting various levels - and I've ascended and descended a number of these - with hand and toe holds and utter darkness down below...etc etc. I've taken extensive video of such places - all unique and some with really interesting features. I also once stayed at a "cave hotel" in the area. Lots of really cool stuff for avid dungeoners! Other structures in the area include incredible cliffside dwellings as well.

Yup those are it, i could not remember the name of the place but you mentioning it, jogged the memory.

Turkey you say... Huhm, i have a friend who lives in Turkey, might have to go visit her...

THOTH
Orc
Orc

Post by THOTH » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:26 pm

I think perhaps a large round door that rolled to the side would be cool.

BINGO !!!
Yeah i have liked that idea for a while in either Sci-fi (hatches) or what made me think of it was a discovery show cities of the underground a year or so ago that had these caves with doors like that (some sort of emergency hidy hole for the natives)...
You are refering to the underground cities in Cappadocia (located in Asia Minor/Turkey). I've been to them on several occasions and explored the large commerical ones - 1 where 4 of 9 levels are open and excavated for explorations; and I've also been to several (dozens of) smaller but no less fascinating underground cities/complexes. And indeed this feature of rolling mill stone like "doors" is common - often with side passages paralleling the main one which have convienient arrow slits cut into the walls! Lots of other nifty features as well - such as shafts connecting various levels - and I've ascended and descended a number of these - with hand and toe holds and utter darkness down below...etc etc. I've taken extensive video of such places - all unique and some with really interesting features. I also once stayed at a "cave hotel" in the area. Lots of really cool stuff for avid dungeoners! Other structures in the area include incredible cliffside dwellings as well.

Check these out:

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&r ... 5&ct=title

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... n%26sa%3DG